do people still use cartos and top coil tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I guess I am fortunate because here in the Grand Rapids (Mi) area there are at least four that I go to ... that have and know how to use and set up carto tanks. A lot of shops probably don't deal in cartos because they are cheap and can be problematic and time consuming to fill leading to unhappy consumers. More profitable to sell clearos maybe???

I get the feeling that there are many sales people who have never used a cartotank before, so unless there is someone else in the shop who knows how to use them they will not carry them in their store.

I don't know if clearos are more profitable than cartotanks. The tanks for both are in the same price range, and the price difference between replacement clearo heads vs replacement cartomizers are comparable to each other.

I overheard one salesman in a local shop sway a relatively new vaper who was inquiring about a cartotank away from one and to yet another clearomizer. This customer had already tried a couple of different brands of clearos and was having issues with flooding/leaking/inconsistancy and getting frustrated. "Nah. Cartotanks are old technology. Nothing new with them in a couple of years. I recommend this Aspire CE5 instead." It was all I could do to bite my tongue at that comment. "Old Technology"? The way I see it, if they (cartotanks) ain't broke why fix them? Ever heard the term, "Tried & True"?

Edit to add: I can see not recommending a cartotank to a total noobie. Try explaining how to fill a carto and then the tank, and a novice may balk as it can look complicated compared to the easy fill/easy coil replacement of the clearomizers. However, there comes a point in time when that novice becomes experienced enough to advance on to a cartotank setup.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I think when some people think of cartos, they think of the pre-filled expensive ones that come pre packaged in a pack of 5.
    And even those kind will be around for years yet.

As for "time consuming", I, and several others here with some experience, can slap a carto in a tank- fill the tank- suck or blow thru the carto a few times, and it's up and running in short order.

Personally, I just keep one or two in a juice filled carto-condom on my desk ready to go.

cocoloco

ECF Veteran
    Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado
    do people still use cartomizers and top coil tanks? i feel like their both rather "old technology". what amazes me is how they are older (arent cartomizers the only thing we had to vape a few years ago?) and more expensive

They're way more expensive if you buy them pre-filled with liquid. My wife likes them exclusively, so I buy them for her. I then take her spent cartomizers and refill them for myself. I now have over 1,000 of them and refill them for pennies. Old tech or not, they are easy to use and refill, plus they are super reliable and can be used over and over again. The economics work out fine since my only expense is in liquid; which I buy in bulk quite cheaply.

Moreover, the cartomizers don't play with your head. They either work or they don't. When the latter is the case, I simply chuck it and reach for another.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Why would I use a carto? That's almost stooping as low as using a Provari :lol:

P1010468_zps1ba89d69.jpg

OH-WAIT ! ! ! My carto is on a Provari

I use J-Tanks from ENS

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 14, 2012
    Dayton, Ohio
    I prefer and use carto tanks exclusively. I'm knee deep in rebuildables with my friends and co-workers, but a) I have zero desire to tinker, b) all my juice is high mg nic, so dripping is out, c) they don't tell you that those huge clouds = lots and lots of juice. So saving money doesn't really apply, unless you're using a kayfun or a tank of some sort. Baditude is right, carto tanks are still around because, even though they are "old", they work. Consistently.

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    After using cartos, carto tanks, bottom coils from the Evod to the nautilus, and rba's, I keep ending up with the Kanger T2 as what I use, on most any device. Flavor, warmth, capacity, simplicity and durability come together just right for me. The T2 gives me a smooth tasty vape to the bottom of the tank with no fuss. I clean them every 10 tankfuls or so, dry burn them every couple weeks, and replace a one dollar head about once a month.

CE4 top coils have many pretender cheap versions, but Kanger and Bauway make consistent high quality ones that give weeks of good performance.

I'm concerned that the "new shiny" chase in the ecig industry will make my preferred delivery devices less available in the future, so I'm stocking up myself.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Speaking of stocking up, and that's a whole other thread around here, but I'm slowly stocking up on cartos myself, not because I think they will stop making them, but because they may be harder, or more expensive to get.

I remember back in '11 when Boge got Real popular, people would order them in 200's, straight from Boge. Vaporkings used to have a good coupon for 50pc....

Not sure if you can beat Surevapes nowadays. At least on the short, unpunched ones I buy.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    I remember back in '11 when Boge got Real popular, people would order them in 200's, straight from Boge. Vaporkings used to have a good coupon for 50pc....

Not sure if you can beat Surevapes nowadays. At least on the short, unpunched ones I buy.

Actually, even by the single box:
    Tanks - Cartomizers - Caterpillar Vapes
    :)
    Shipping is reasonable and quick

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Some people still use old-fashioned lr-510 attys with a cone and drip tip. I know I do - in fact, that's what I'm doing right now (you get used to vaping and typing simultaneously after a bit). :)

I hear ya e-pipeman. I dripped a Trident for a good while and though I would say 'alternately' instead of 'simultaneously', I know what you mean. Lately I mostly squonk and find that better. I can do that one handed and I don't have to watch it so I can read at the same time. Works for me.

cdsaint66

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 3, 2012
    Goodfield, IL
    I actually just set aside my carto's and tanks yesterday. I finally stopped piddling around with rebuildables and concentrated on getting good builds in a couple of Zen Gennies and a Kayfun clone. Now that they're working right, and I can reliably build them, I prefer the rebuildables.

On the other hand, you'll notice I said I "set aside" my carto's and tanks, not "gave away" or "sold". There is a reason for that, They've worked for me for almost 2 years, while I've only been on rebuildables for a month. If I go a year without using them then I'll think about passing them on.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread