Do Some People Have To Quit Vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have asthma, and sometimes if I have been chain vaping all day, my lungs will feel really tight. But I just ignore it and vape anyway and it goes away a few hours, or a day later. Actually I swear that vaping has done me a world of difference. Anytime I would get a cold when I was on analogs, it would go immediately into asthmatic bronchitis which was horrible. Less than a week after I stopped analogs and went to vaping, I actually got normal colds and haven't had asthmatic bronchitis once. Yay! It's the worst I would constantly cough so hard I would actually vomit. And it would last weeks, even on inhalers, steroids and antibiotics. Now, I just have occasional tightness in my lungs, but nothing compared to analogs.

Rummel

Apr 5, 2013
Norway
Yes, that was a really good suggestion by jazon1 and I was certainly not being facetious when I said it was creative. I meant he was thinking outside the box... IOW I agree with you. It was brilliant. And you're right, bodies can change.

As to being allergic to the flavors, that's why I pared it down to just VG and DW... no flavor or nic, just to see. I don't have pure PG yet... it's hard to buy in small quantities and I believe it bothers me more than VG based on what I have vaped so far (RY4 and Menthol disposable in the beginning were both PG based and bothered me more than the VG.... only 100% VG was way too oily for me, so that's why I started diluting it.) But I was thinking it might also be the polyfill in the cartos. So you could be right, and I will keep looking into that. Like try using the clearos next time for a day or two (I prefer cartos though), then maybe replace the polyfill in the cartos with organic cotton or something.

A friend of mine had a pretty bad reaction to PG based liquids when he started vaping. Think he also tried juices with bigger VG ratio, but he still prefers 100% VG to not get a reactions. Might be worth checking that out.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
That's real interesting. Just to be clear (in case it matters) vaping does not initiate an immediate cough with me. I can vape for a couple hours and it feels fine. It's an hour later or the next day I start getting that tickle/cough - the kind of cough you do with your mouth closed. Just that quick 'uogh'. But it comes from feeling like the bronchial tubes are sort of acting up. And I am using bottom attys with a horizontal coil, if that's what you meant. The clearos I have are also bottom atty/coil models.

Come to think of it more, it does seem like an allergy and maybe it is from the polyfill. I have to get organic cotton batting this evening to make a toy for my dog (why do all dog toys come from China?) so I will try some in my cartos. :D

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
That's an awesome idea. Hopefully someday someone will come out with an organic fill!!

The following is not meant to scare, just for informational purposes and kind of interesting...

I read somewhere a few months back that vaping is a little harder on the lungs due to the way a person vapes. Wish I could find the article somewhere for you. It said something like vaping mimics the same movements as {edit} and causes sort of a neg pressure which makes people more prone to spontaneous pneumothorax and lung collapse. It is due to the puffing and inhale that is different than smoking a cig.

Dunno if it is true though so take it with a grain of salt.

If I can find it again I'll link it.

Interesting. Actually, I think I totally blew it after I got the 808 and thought, "OK, I must be sensitive to PG so I will vape pure VG to see..." and I used it undiluted and I inhaled these massive quantities of vapor and I vaped that all night until the 808 ran out, and it was fully charged when I started. So I basically hooked myself up to a fog machine and inhaled a concert's worth of fog. :D And the next day is when I really felt like crud and was coughing every few minutes - an out loud cough. Not coughing fits, but coughing and my lungs felt - well congested is too strong a word, but let's just say I realized that was too much oil.

The good news is, it only takes a day or two of not vaping to rapidly return close to normal. But I'm so anxious to vape again, I'm not waiting long enough. This is much more fun that smoking, and I really enjoy smoking.

But I did stop inhaling after that, (I waited a couple days before vaping again), and I found myself vaping the 808 more like a pipe... like short puffs that you puff out the side of your mouth without inhaling, few in a row. And I really enjoyed that too and thought, "Well I'm not inhaling so I can do this all day and night" and did! Another stupid mistake on my part. Because even that caused a reaction later, I guess cause I was still inhaling the vape floating around my face for hours on end.

:vapor:

The moral of the story is I guess I overdid it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I have asthma, and sometimes if I have been chain vaping all day, my lungs will feel really tight. But I just ignore it and vape anyway and it goes away a few hours, or a day later. Actually I swear that vaping has done me a world of difference. Anytime I would get a cold when I was on analogs, it would go immediately into asthmatic bronchitis which was horrible. Less than a week after I stopped analogs and went to vaping, I actually got normal colds and haven't had asthmatic bronchitis once. Yay! It's the worst I would constantly cough so hard I would actually vomit. And it would last weeks, even on inhalers, steroids and antibiotics. Now, I just have occasional tightness in my lungs, but nothing compared to analogs.

I am so happy for you, that's great! And this actually makes me think I might indeed be having an allergic reaction (like jazon1 suggested) maybe along with the mistakes I have made of going overboard with it.

But I'm really happy to hear vaping has helped you so much. What a gift e-cigs have been!

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I too have similar issues caused by vaping. Sinus, mucus, and that "heavy lung" feeling. Some juices seem to cause one or the other, more or less, but so far after over 3 months of vaping, I know it's vaping that's causing it. I feel I want to continue with vaping for awhile yet, mostly because I don't trust myself to stay of cigs, but I dislike this constant sinus stuff going on.

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I too have similar issues caused by vaping. Sinus, mucus, and that "heavy lung" feeling. Some juices seem to cause one or the other, more or less, but so far after over 3 months of vaping, I know it's vaping that's causing it. I feel I want to continue with vaping for awhile yet, mostly because I don't trust myself to stay of cigs, but I dislike this constant sinus stuff going on.

Sorry to hear that! It's amazing that smoking, with all of its "4000 bad ingredients" can be tolerated so well, even for extended periods of time (like decades), and a little vaper can cause problems right away! Even if they are minor problems in the long run. Just odd. Are you vaping mostly PG/VG 50/50 or VG or... ?

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR

I'll assume that you have either quit smoking or have drastically reduced your smoking. It's not uncommon for people to feel many of the same symptoms you are reporting here for the first six months after quitting smoking. They thought it was a symptom caused by vaping, when in reality it was their body's way of expelling toxins and tars that had built up in the body over many years of smoking.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you might want to consider it. I've been off of the smokes for about two weeks (been vaping longer) and I'm starting to get some of the same symptoms you describe, especially the heaviness in the lungs feeling, from time to time.

Worth thinking about, at any rate.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
i had stop smoking and start vaping... i can feel the different... can go jogging far then before without having problem....
:D
Welcome to the forum! One of the best meals I've ever had in my life was in Kuala Lumpur. I only stayed overnight, but it's a memory I'll cherish for the rest of my life.

I had a similar problem when I started vaping about a month ago. If I tried to inhale the vapor, I would cough my head off.
In the last week, I've found that I can inhale 18 mg e-juice vapor, but the 24 mg e-juice vapor I started with still irritates my lungs to the point where a good "hit" will make me cough reflexively.

On the subject of the "proper" way to vape, I can only say that using the "hold and exhale" technique hasn't been entirely successful for me. When I was limiting myself to that technique I felt that something was "missing" and I would frequently revert back to analogs so I could take a deep drag and suck down a lungful of smoke.

At first, I thought it was the nicotine I was missing, but I kept going back to analogs even though I was smoking 1 PAD and vaping, too. Now that I'm able to inhale the less potent 18 mg e-juice vapor I've come to the realization that inhaling is an integral part of my habit and that the slight lung irritation of cigarette smoke is the feeling that I was missing. My craving for analogs has now virtually disappeared. When it does occasionally pop up (due to stress or other triggers), a few deep drags on my PV takes care of the urge.

I don't know if this is typical of other smokers. I was a 2-3 PAD smoker for 47 years.

Doc

Last edited:

fabricator4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Mackay, Qld. Australia
I am asking the people on this board if they have come across people who just can't vape for whatever reasons. If they have heard of this problem. I don't know of many people who can't eat grapes, and in all the reading I have done on ECF I have not personally read of too many people who can't vape, but then I haven't read it as much as those of you who are long time vapers. So I am just asking.

Just another idea for you, but while most people who are sensitive to vaping find it is the PG that is problematic, in a few less common cases it can actaully be a VG sensitivity. Maybe investigate this avenue as well.

If you had problems while chain vaping, maybe increasing the nicotine and vaping less will work for you .

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I had a similar problem when I started vaping about a month ago. If I tried to inhale the vapor, I would cough my head off.
In the last week, I've found that I can inhale 18 mg e-juice vapor, but the 24 mg e-juice vapor I started with still irritates my lungs to the point where a good "hit" will make me cough reflexively.

On the subject of the "proper" way to vape, I can only say that using the "hold and exhale" technique hasn't been entirely successful for me. When I was limiting myself to that technique I felt that something was "missing" and I would frequently revert back to analogs so I could take a deep drag and suck down a lungful of smoke.

At first, I thought it was the nicotine I was missing, but I kept going back to analogs even though I was smoking 1 PAD and vaping, too. Now that I'm able to inhale the less potent 18 mg e-juice vapor I've come to the realization that inhaling is an integral part of my habit and that the slight lung irritation of cigarette smoke is the feeling that I was missing. My craving for analogs has now virtually disappeared. When it does occasionally pop up (due to stress or other triggers), a few deep drags on my PV takes care of the urge.

I don't know if this is typical of other smokers. I was a 2-3 PAD smoker for 47 years.

Doc

For some people who just can't put down the last few cigs or who have severe cigarette cravings, WTA juices can help them get over the hump, other people are like you, and tragically, there are some vapers who can't get off of the cigs completely no matter what they try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread