do top coils lose vapor production as the liquid drops off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
Do top coil clearomizers lose vapor production as the liquid is consumed? It seems like it to me but I'd like to ask people with more experience . I'm considering trying a bottom-coil clearomizer.

My issue is that I'm just not a heavy vaper right now. I'm using WTA or higher strength e-liquid and lower wattage and I rarely use a whole milliliter in a day, so I tend to fill the stardust clearomizers I have half way. It seems like when I get around the 0.8ml mark, the vapor starts to fall off.

p7willm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2014
Lansdale, PA, USA
The juice gets up to the top coil in the wick and it is drawn up by capillary action. If you vape fast for a long time the amount of juice might drop off. To help just tip your mod over and let the liquid touch the wick higher up.

Bottom coil tanks also have problems. They can flood if juice leaks in to the coil area and, though not as common as a top coil, they can dry out.

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yep, you learn the infamous tilt to wet those wicks. Vivi Nova's and Genesis attys come to mind that need the tilt when the juice level reaches about 1/3 left.

Bottom tanks definitely have their fair share of issues. My Protanks all flood when I'm using a high PG juice and use the prebuilt atomizers from Kangertech. My rebuilt ones don't flood because I learned exactly how much cotton I needed to use to wick it properly.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Oh yeah, I've been tilting a lot. It still seems to vape better with a 3/4 full tank, but it feels like a huge waste of juice to me right now.

I'm considering just going back to cartomizers. The flavor tastes a bit muted with them but I get consistent performance.

It's not so much that it's a waste of liquids - you can't waste what never reaches the coil. That's the nature of a top coil clearo - fighting the laws of physics with the liquid at the bottom, coil at the top, and expecting capillary action of a wick to perform a minor miracle bridging the gap. If it's a long wick version sooner or later you have to start the whole "tip, flip & roll" thing to get sufficient liquid to the coil. The design never worked for me, not without annoying me like all heck. That's why if I have to recommend a clearo, it's going to be a bottom coil design.

You and me may be the only two people on ECF with that complaint about cartos. For me a carto is like vaping air. Tons of vapor - no flavor at all. (And yeah - I have tried them all.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread