I don't think the EGo is a good beginner setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeppermintPatty

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
California
Did you use the same liquid in the cig look alike as with the eGo setup?

Yes it's a rhetorical question.
It's not so much the cigalike that matters it's also what you put in it (and what's already there like the filler/wicking material).

I realize the question was rhetorical, but I am unclear on the point. Yes, I use the same e juice as everyone else. I refill my pre filled carts with coordinating flavors to make them last longer, but I also fill my blanks with whatever I wish. I currently have V2 blanks filled with Bryce's Vanilla Custard and Blue Honey from the Vape Dudes. Tasty, tasty. I don't think all e juice tastes good in cig a like carts, maybe due to the filler material, or maybe not... but not every juice tastes good to everyone anyway. I have flavor ADD too, I am constantly changing my flavors, I have more than 10 cartridges in use right now...in the past hour I have switched flavors at least 3-4 times. It works for me, and I think that is the real point.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
9 days ago i was eating 25-30 cigs a day.got 2 ego twists with 2 mini protanks using 2.2 coils wth 24 mgs nic in export a juice.

instantly dropped the analogs and never even wanted one since.

maybe i got lucky, i dunno.zero issues for me.best money i ever spent.

So what eliquid did you get that helped you stay off the cigs; or was it just the fact that it was 24mg and didn't matter about the flavor?

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I am not a fan of vaping elitists! And IMHO, da OP is one.

My comment is based upon near three years of vaping and personally assisting fifty non-ECF folk on their vaping initiations/sojourns.

A dual eGo batt set up is 'bout da lea$t inexpensive way a novice can go to 'test da waters (aka vaping) with a better chance of success, without $pending a $mall fortune for batts, charging station, 400 puff toss-aways, etc.

So, excuuuuuse me if I don't give a 'like' fer da OP's post...
yawn.gif

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Regulated eGo and Spinner batteries are a great intro to vaping for a lot of people. I've recommended them a few times and people have have had success. I would never recommend an unregulated battery for a beginner, specially for clearo use. Decisions have to be made case by case on VV, non-VV and cost vs dependability.

Cig-a-likes are the most chosen first PV for smokers. I also believe they have the highest failure rate for success. A bigger device can be offered, but the vast majority of people are not interested. I've seen stats that indicate more cig-a-likes are sold than all other types added together in the US.

Just for fun and giggles, here's a cute video about the four stages of vaping that's made the rounds here a few times. Thought considerig the topic it might a good time to pull it out again :)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
..................... I've seen stats that indicate more cig-a-likes are sold than all other types added together in the US.

Of course stats will show that more cig-a-likes are sold than all other "types"; the only other "type" that can make it into the stats are non-cigalike "starter kits". And users only buy the starter kit once. Buying eliquid, replacement atomozers for your tank or new batteries, just isn't going to count in the stats.

icemanistheking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Bella Vista, AR
Of course stats will show that more cig-a-likes are sold than all other "types"; the only other "type" that can make it into the stats are non-cigalike "starter kits". And users only buy the starter kit once. Buying eliquid, replacement atomozers for your tank or new batteries, just isn't going to count in the stats.

Not to mention cigalikes are on every gas station counter across America, and most of them are tried maybe once, at most a few times, before the smoker goes back to analogs.

I personally found Egos to be 1000x more satisfying than cigalikes. Cigalikes weren't worth the money, and they felt cheap. I wanted to vape on an Ego rather than smoke a cigarette; if I would have tried quitting with cigalikes, I guarantee you I would still be smoking today.

And honestly, whatever Egos' flaws, I think they are somehow more representative of vaping culture in general than cigalikes. To me, an Ego is an APV-lite, and going to regulated APVs is a natural step up from them. All the methods used to vape with Ego, be it a carto, basic dripping atty, clearo, or tank, that method can be directly transferred to your first APV and make the experience more comfortable. There is no bridge between cigalikes and better devices - Egos are ​that bridge.

After reading a few of his/her posts, it really sounds like OP likes cigalikes more than Egos and feels self-conscious about it, therefore feels the need to project their opinion to the masses in a negative way.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

You could be right edyle, but I think industry analysts are usually pretty good at what they do. Here's a look at one example of the data they have and pretty much what I was referring to in my last post. I think the 'other' 41% in 'e-cigarette market share' is anything other than cig-a-likes. I could certainly be wrong, but that's how I interpret this data.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
OP is indeed a vaping elitist. I don't think this post was about cigalikes. This post was about the more expensive, American made mods. If people only had a choice between cigalikes and those mods to quit with, I imagine OP believes we'd all be using mods as opposed to many sticking with egos and other cheap Chinese mods and being satisfied with those. If those were my only choices however, I'd likely still be smoking. I need to supply four people with vape gear. I won't get into why here, but I do for various reasons and aside from my up and coming tax return I rarely have a couple of hundred to toss around at any given time. Everyone is satisfied with egos, or iTaste products in this group, and thankfully they exist for me to buy. If not, even with an expensive mod I'd still have three other people constantly smoking cigarettes around me, and I wouldn't have been successful. Middle of the road in price and performance has a place, and it's needed.

Hermit

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
UK
I've got some eRolls. I like them, but once a few spare heads and tanks are bought, it's not a cheap system (I guess that applies to the Joyetech eGo system as well). And since you have to carry the PCC as well, not as small overall. The PCC takes hours to charge.

I've also got a VTR, Hero Hybrid, various drippers, etc, etc. All too big and/or messy to carry around, but good at home.

My real workhorses? Regulated 650mA ego batts with mini protank 2s. Can easily carry 2 or 3 in my pocket, with the tiny charger, charge quickly anywhere there's a USB port, 13cm / 5.5 inches long, relatively discrete. Effective. Simple enough to use that you could train a newcomer in 5 minutes.

Of course I'd _like_ VV as well, but the extra size means they wouldn't be as pocketable. Also, VV eats some % of battery life. And costs more.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I started with cheap unregulated EGOs and ce4s and they are still perfectly OK every once in a while when I feel like trying them out again. I haven't tried any of the more upscale cigalikes (though I'm tempted to give the eroll a try) but if they are getting better they would be the best way to get into vaping. Most people won't want something that's even in the size of an EGO, and certainly not something as big as a mod. Also, throwing out around $100 just to try something out is a lot of money. Sure, if you actually get into vaping it's really cheap, but if you'll end up only using it for a week it's expensive.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I personally don't think cigalikes cut it if you're truly wanting to quit smoking. I believe eGo batteries are better. However, in my case, I quit using an eGo, but still craved holding a real cig. So about six months into vaping, I picked up a bunch of Smokeless Image Volts, and a PCC. I still use them to this day. I believe there is always room in a vaper's arsenal for a good cigalike.

They're small, compact, perfect for stealth vaping. They do well in pockets.

They do not attract attention like mods do. Whenever I'm out with my mod, I get all sorts of questions from strangers. "What is that thing?" If I'm using a cigalike, people look, roll their eyes, and are like, "Oh, it's one of those things."

And sometimes I still just want to hold something in my hand that feels like a cigarette.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I personally don't think cigalikes cut it if you're truly wanting to quit smoking. I believe eGo batteries are better. However, in my case, I quit using an eGo, but still craved holding a real cig. So about six months into vaping, I picked up a bunch of Smokeless Image Volts, and a PCC. I still use them to this day. I believe there is always room in a vaper's arsenal for a good cigalike.

They're small, compact, perfect for stealth vaping. They do well in pockets.

They do not attract attention like mods do. Whenever I'm out with my mod, I get all sorts of questions from strangers. "What is that thing?" If I'm using a cigalike, people look, roll their eyes, and are like, "Oh, it's one of those things."

And sometimes I still just want to hold something in my hand that feels like a cigarette.

This. I also started with an ego and got a couple of cigalikes for the same reasons. I don't hate cigalikes. I just wouldn't recommend them as the only devices someone looking to quit should have, nor am I about to scare them away with a large mod or high priced mods. The cigalikes are for when I miss the feel of a cigarette in my hand, or for stealth vaping, or even for wanting to turn a smoker who feels intimidated by my MVP. My sister was for example. She didn't even feel comfy with with the ego I got her. She was only a light smoker though, so she found her happiness with a couple of cigalikes I picked up solely for the cute mustaches that lit up on the ends and for stealth reasons. I visited with them and she promptly turned over her pack of smokes to have them. For light smokers, perhaps a cigalike will suit. For moderate to heavy smokers, no way. Regardless of what someone spends per month on smokes, over $100 for a mod will be hard to do for many people. It's one thing to have that money to spend through the span of a month, another to have it all to spend at once. Better they get an ego for roughly the price of a pack of smokes then to waste on cigalikes and get discouraged or simply not have all the money up front for a mod.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Salem, Oregon
I disagree. Ego twist batteries are perfect for a beginner setup. Got me to quit smoking entirely after a few months of vaping.

What has changed is many other low cost batteries or mods that do a bit more for a slightly higher price point. Many new people don't huge batteries. They want something smaller, the feel a bit silly holding a huge mod type unit at first, especially in public lol.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
I disagree. Ego twist batteries are perfect for a beginner setup. Got me to quit smoking entirely after a few months of vaping.

What has changed is many other low cost batteries or mods that do a bit more for a slightly higher price point. Many new people don't huge batteries. They want something smaller, the feel a bit silly holding a huge mod type unit at first, especially in public lol.

Haha - sorry that lAst part just reminded me of a statement I heard few nights ago;" there is no proper way to eat a banana in public." Lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread