Do you know why I pulled you over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
So here's something to talk about, maybe some won't care to discuss their legal matters, so this post may flop. I know a lot of us have been pulled over for speeding, let's see those numbers! :) If you got out of the ticket, what's your magic?

For me, my worst was 88 in a 65 (on the freeway)

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Oct 25, 2017
Tornado Alley
So here's something to talk about, maybe some won't care to discuss their legal matters, so this post may flop. I know a lot of us have been pulled over for speeding, let's see those numbers! :) If you got out of the ticket, what's your magic?

For me, my worst was 88 in a 65 (on the freeway)
When I was younger...Was pulled over once for speeding...got a ticket. When it was time for court, I showed the judge a video of the area and there wasn't a posted speed limit sign... didn't have to pay the ticket :) (short story of events) .

Last edited:

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
Waaaaaay back I got pulled over and scolded about having a portable TV turned on in my pickup. Now look at all the bright lights and distractions that every car has built in!

Yeah right, I know what you mean. I think all the integration like android auto and apple car play, usb devices, etc is way more of a distraction. I mean, have you ever tried dripping while driving and trying to create a custom playlist on spotify?

I was doing the commute grind 1.5 hours for a few years, I saw one dude reading a newspaper while doing 80 on the highway. Some lady was in the fast lane, passing cars visor down and she's putting on makeup.

I ride motorcycle, I don't like distracted drivers, they're hazardous to my health. :)

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I ride motorcycle, I don't like distracted drivers, they're hazardous to my health.
I also ride and it always amazed my wife how much I moved my head. I scanned 12 seconds ahead, mirrors, and turned my head to check all blind spots. Still had a few close calls from distracted drivers. To me, the worst areas are drivers turning left in front of me and intersections in general. I still believe that the truckers are the friendliest and most observant drivers.
I once got a ticket for speeding and the cop really scolded me because I was asleep while driving on a straight stretch of the highway. I believe he was more scared about me crashing vice speeding. This was after a string of 18 hour days prior to a deployment while I was young in the Navy.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I noticed I was much more likely to get off with a warning if I was well groomed and clean cut. If I looked grubby and unshorn I was more likely to get a ticket. I also generally make a practice of always contesting tickets. Frequently the officer simply doesn’t show up and the ticket is thrown out.

• Agree
Reactions: GamblerMagic

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'll only say it was so bad that the cop was literally SCREAMING at me when he came to the window.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING?!?!?"

"No, sir. I thought it best to be keeping an eye on the road at whatever speed it was."

I got one HECK of a lecture-down from my older brother, whose card I handed to the very nice (and VERY ANGRY) officer at the scene. He almost took it away from me after that one.

My foot, she gets a little heavy sometimes.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
My first ticket was as a senior in high school, left for school at 6am and after school went to my job at a grocery store where we had to strip and wax the floor after closing. I left around midnight, in my 1976 Buick LeSabre (a boat on wheels).

There was no one else on the road going home when the lights came on behind me. Got pulled over by a state trooper who asked me if I knew how fast I was going (I didn’t :blush: ). She said “son, you were doing 120 in a 35 :eek:

She gave me a ticket for 50 in a 35 and said “consider this a warning”

I didn’t realize until later that she could have taken my license and I very well could have ended up in jail.

Those probably would have been preferable to what my dad did when he found out.

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
I noticed I was much more likely to get off with a warning if I was well groomed and clean cut. If I looked grubby and unshorn I was more likely to get a ticket. I also generally make a practice of always contesting tickets. Frequently the officer simply doesn’t show up and the ticket is thrown out.

Yeah I usually get them reduced to parking tickets myself, I look like a police officer, I get asked if I'm in the service all the time. I'm not, I had family that served in WWII and Vietnam.

In New York they've got a pretty good system, you just plead not guilty, mail it in, they set a date, you talk to a judge. You either get a reduced charge, same charge or you can opt for a trial. I never got to the trial part.

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
My first ticket was as a senior in high school, left for school at 6am and after school went to my job at a grocery store where we had to strip and wax the floor after closing. I left around midnight, in my 1976 Buick LeSabre (a boat on wheels).

There was no one else on the road going home when the lights came on behind me. Got pulled over by a state trooper who asked me if I knew how fast I was going (I didn’t :blush: ). She said “son, you were doing 120 in a 35 :eek:

She gave me a ticket for 50 in a 35 and said “consider this a warning”

I didn’t realize until later that she could have taken my license and I very well could have ended up in jail.

Those probably would have been preferable to what my dad did when he found out.

Haha holy crap, 120 in a 35? Yeah in NY that's a "thank you for giving me your license, step out of the car, we're gonna tow it" kind of deal.

My first car was a 1991 Buick LeSabre, loved that sofa on wheels. Got it at 114K miles, I got her up to 160K just from college.

Reactions: B2L

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
I also ride and it always amazed my wife how much I moved my head. I scanned 12 seconds ahead, mirrors, and turned my head to check all blind spots. Still had a few close calls from distracted drivers. To me, the worst areas are drivers turning left in front of me and intersections in general. I still believe that the truckers are the friendliest and most observant drivers.
I once got a ticket for speeding and the cop really scolded me because I was asleep while driving on a straight stretch of the highway. I believe he was more scared about me crashing vice speeding. This was after a string of 18 hour days prior to a deployment while I was young in the Navy.

Yeah, on the bike I'm ALWAYS looking. I've had plenty of lil' old ladies in their toyota corollas try to park on me or drive through me. I'd agree on the trucker part, I do what I can to let them in, especially in some areas I travel it's highly active with traffic and the intersections are horrible for them trying to get in and out.

I had a crotch rocket for a while, that was bad. 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, could do 100 in 4th gear, I've got on the highway a few times and looked down and I'm doing 110. Got rid of it before I killed myself, picked up a Wide Glide and I'm not looking back. Bike is so comfortable, but I go slower these days, got a family.

Thanks for your service. My father was Navy, torpedoman, shellback, E-5 I believe... he made me promise I'd go to college. But he seemed to enjoy his time in the Navy. "See the world", and blow up sharks with grenades.

Reactions: Diver9543

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yeah I usually get them reduced to parking tickets myself, I look like a police officer, I get asked if I'm in the service all the time. I'm not, I had family that served in WWII and Vietnam.

In New York they've got a pretty good system, you just plead not guilty, mail it in, they set a date, you talk to a judge. You either get a reduced charge, same charge or you can opt for a trial. I never got to the trial part.
They have a system like that in Minnesota as well.

Reactions: GamblerMagic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread