Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Replying to this with a few things to say.

First, your expressed feelings on not having another smoke again is one reason I think there will for sure be a black market with regards to vaping, if banning comes about. The idea that ex-smoking vapers would just gravitate towards smoking and continue with that habit I think is (possibly way) overhyped. I think many ex-smokers think that first smoke will be tasty and a wonderful experience. I strongly believe it would likely be so nasty they'd swear of smokes for good. And take whatever (teeny tiny) risks there are to get eLiquid on the underground market.

Second, I do think most ex-smokers are recovering addicts, but there would definitely be exceptions. Your post (aka your now hatred for smoking) tells me you have fully kicked the addiction. I'm sure you realize some may be skeptical of just how certain you are you'll never smoke again, but the only person's opinion that matters, about whether you are ever going to return to smoking, is yours.

Third, I profoundly disagree with those who think once an addict, always an addict. I obviously stated this earlier in the thread, but feel like elaborating. Again, vapdivrr is prime example of person that addict is not an applicable term. Recovering addict neither makes sense, truly. Recovery, I would say, allows for the possibility that one day in the future a cigarette may be smoked again. And perhaps more importantly, allows for the possibility that just one may be enjoyable enough that another after that is perhaps likely. Hence, a return to habitual use is seen as possible and then addiction sets in.

Yet, with recovery comes a sense of commitment. And I'd say the overwhelming majority (IMO) of vapers who were ex-smokers, or even are dual users, are committed to no longer being dependent on smoking. That's huge. We all know this. Non-smokers show up clueless to just how committed we are to longer being dependent on smoking.

Following up with that last point, my fourth and final item, is my speaking from dual use perspective. I'm a proud dual user. I've only said that about 50 times on the forums. Prior to making a commitment to no longer being dependent on smoking, I was, as a dual user, working through which product (vaping or smoking) did I truly enjoy more. I was surely vaping way more than smoking, but was mentally wavering between the idea that smoking for sure has things that I still enjoyed (then) daily, and that vaping just wasn't doing for me. Even, then I would call myself recovering addict. Because I think once a smoker commits even a little bit to vaping, they'll cut their smoking habit way back. Maybe not in the first month, but for sure by year 2, they are very likely nowhere near a PAD smoker. Which again, is huge.

There are a few reasons why I still choose to smoke, but the one I feel is pertinent to this topic is my ongoing desire to be a moderate smoker. Prior to vaping, I thought that not possible for smoking cigs. For the last 3 years or so, that is exactly how I'd describe myself. And currently moderation means, for me, one smoke every 3+ weeks, and up to as much as one smoke every 2.5 months. I would say that of the last 10 smokes I've had, which likely equals the amount I've had in 2019, maybe 3 of them were 'wonderful experience' type smokes. The rest were, meh, whatever. But still something I enjoy at the level of using moderately.

I think if vaping was banned, even from the black market, and somehow (magically) I couldn't ever vape again, I would plausibly return to habitual use of smoking. Then again, as someone who's gone cold turkey from smoking, three times (never less than a year), I do strongly believe I could stop.

But like most on this thread, and on this forum, I do so enjoy my nicotine intake. More please.
What a wonderful, honest, insightful post. I could make more accounts to rate this as winner, but that would be duplicitous, so I won't.

Reactions: dreamvaper

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
That is because nicotine is not an addiction, it is a dependence. The distinction is that an addiction must have a significant harmful effect which one ignores at the expense of his quality of life. Merely experiencing withdrawal symptoms upon cessation demonstrates a dependence. And you needn't take my word for it, this Professor of Addictions Studies explains it succinctly:

I've seen this before, but it is an excellent video. I really like how he presents addiction as a harm to an individual person. By demonizing vaping nicotine, it could be argued that the FDA/CDC/US government is creating an addiction to nicotine, where none existed before by promulgating the belief that nicotine itself is addictive. Vaping rights is just one of the issues plaguing society right now, but it is an important issue that may add gravitas to the current political climate. Big change is coming in the US, not sure how it's going to happen, or end, but it is imminent.

• Agree
Reactions: GOMuniEsq

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
We smoked because we were hooked on the chemical cocktail that was cigarettes. Vaping supplied the nicotine and that was the chief factor in preventing us from quitting the smokes.

i once tried to work my way down to 0 nic. I got there over time, but when I hit zero nic the vape was boring. I could still detect the nic at 3mg, but at zero there was definitely something missing. I've been at 50/50 PG/VG with 3mg nic strength for years and been fine with it. Funny how that works. It took 24mg to get me off the cigs, but 3mg keeps me off.
I really agree with that. I've been vaping for 8 years. First-year for me was 50 nic and stepped down to 9. The second-year or so I learned more, bought better equipment and fairly quickly went from 9 to 6 to my current 3mg and I've been at that for years and am totally satisfied. A few times I mixed in 0 ejuice and brought it down to about 2 which was still OK but not as good as 3 for me and I do feel it at 0. I am very happy at 3mg.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Now that I've spent years being satisfied at 3mg strength it won't be hard to continue at that level. Two liters of 100mg nic base will take me out 18 years at present mix and daily juice use levels.

At the 24mg strength I started at back in 2010 to get off the smokes I'd need eight times that much 100mg nic and that's just more storage space in the freezer.

It seems, for me at least, that my brain just needs to know there's nic in the vape to be satisfied.
The only thing I have not done is made my own juice --that's next. How many ml of juice do you go through a day? I am asking because I want to purchase nic and you said 2L will last you a mighty long time so I am doing some calculations of how much I should order.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The only thing I have not done is made my own juice --that's next. How many ml of juice do you go through a day? I am asking because I want to purchase nic and you said 2L will last you a mighty long time so I am doing some calculations of how much I should order.
The better question is how much ejuice do you use every day and what strength nic? As an example I go through 240 ml ejuice a week at 1.5mg nic so I use 4ml of 100mg/ml nic a week. That equals out to 1 liter of nic will last me approximately 5 years. In reality it will probably last a bit longer because I will make 0nic ejuice also.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
The better question is how much ejuice do you use every day and what strength nic? As an example I go through 240 ml ejuice a week at 1.5mg nic so I use 4ml of 100mg/ml nic a week. That equals out to 1 liter of nic will last me approximately 5 years. In reality it will probably last a bit longer because I will make 0nic ejuice also.

Me and my wife get through around 60mls a week of 6mg. That comes out to exactly the same amount of nic as you. Means we will be 90 something when the stash runs out.

Taking a trip to Georgia next week. I made up some unflavored 18mg PG juice in case we have to go outside the hotel for a vape, or sneak one in the shower. Tried it out yesterday. That hits hard when you aren't used to it.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Thanks. I am very good at math but had not figured it yet. I am in the same range of juice up to 30ml a day so a wide range of 200 to 250 ml a week approximately at 3mg nic.

So I am figuring just based on what you said about give or take 2.5-3.0 years for me per liter. I plan on being around till I am at least 100 and I am halfway there :) :) so I guess 20 liters or so would take me there. I plan on ordering maybe 4 for now --- unless I buy a separate freezer for the garage.---:)

Reactions: Rossum

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Thanks. I am very good at math but had not figured it yet. I am in the same range of juice up to 30ml a day so a wide range of 200 to 250 ml a week approximately at 3mg nic.

So I am figuring just based on what you said about give or take 2.5-3.0 years for me per liter. I plan on being around till I am at least 100 and I am halfway there :) :) so I guess 20 liters or so would take me there. I plan on ordering maybe 4 for now --- unless I buy a separate freezer for the garage.---:)

Here's a calculator which does all the hard work for you

Vaping Community e-liquid Calculator - Vapocalypse Calculator

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca

So you use about the same amount of ejuice as I do just at twice the nic strength so 1 liter of 100mg/ml nic should last you 2.5 years. You'll like DIY. It's very easy really. Some people make it so complicated though. Good luck to you and if I can help just let me know.

• Love
Reactions: chellie

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I went from not believing I could ever quit to not smoking at all in less than a week. I used 18 mg mostly, with some hits of 24 here and there, and I got some WTA as well, which I think really helped with the cravings I experienced on occasion. But I've not been able to reduce my nic that much. I tried dropping from 18 to 12 and found it unsatisfactory. 15 was OK though, so I stuck with that for several years. I took another couple of years to wean myself down a half a milligram at a time to 13, where I've been stuck for a couple of years now.

Early on, I thought: If this worked for me, it should work for anyone. But it doesn't. Some take to it, some just don't.

Similar here. I had decided to quit even trying to quit somewhere around my 35 year of smoking. Then I ended up with nerve damage that left me unable to physically hold on to a cigarette. After a year or so chasing down the lit ones to not start a fire* I figured vaping would be worth a try. Doing searches for info I kept seeing citations for ECF so I stopped in and joined before I actually spent any money. I asked for and received great info on what would work best for wonky hands and bought my 1st Innokin VV v3. I ended up needing 28mg nicotine, and I had to fiddle around for awhile with various tanks, but after about 2 weeks I wasn't smoking, and haven't for over 6 years now. It turned out that my husband kept a couple of packs for me just in case but they're still sitting there.

I haven't cut down much on nicotine though. When I switched to temp control and 40-60 watts I reduced to 18, then 16. I tried less than that and ended up chain vaping, so that's where I expect I'll stay.** Nicotine is supposed to be helpful with neurological similar to mine, and I have to take medicine to raise my blood pressure so I'm not seeing any reason to cut back. let alone quit.***

* This was in October. In January we had a chimney fire that totaled the house. At least it wasn't my fault. Once the fire was almost out and they were just hosing it down the firefighters were kind enough to grab my vaping stuff along with my prescriptions - it's 70 miles to the nearest B&M shop from here.

** Also the flavor came through enough better that I ended dropping my only tobacco flavor because it now actually tastes like smoking - yuck.

*** I'm stocked up on enough nicotine for life, and have plenty of equipment (I'm not going to go to higher wattage because I can't handle the weight and shape of anything that uses more than 1 battery) to see me through the vapocalypse, but I can't physically make my own coils so I'm now ordering 40 coils a month to stock up.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
I did give up for about a year once and it was a horrible year. A few days or a week after I finally broke down and returned to smoking one of the guys I had working for me who had only known me as a non smoker told me that I was a much better person now that I smoked! Ive never forgotten that. The change in disposition was that noticeable. I felt it, from the first cig, normality and calm had finally returned. It was like jumping in to deep cool refreshing water....except it was smelly and dry and smokey.
42 years for me, too, and I tried just about every way to quit* and even made it for a couple of months sometimes. I remember 1 where my husband and daughter asked me to start again, but my restart button was tense driving - once in a traffic jam when I needed to get from the southern suburbs of Minneapolis to the norther suburbs for an urgent appointment. The traffic was so slow I just detoured to a gas station to buy a pack, but mostly in snow storms/blizzards when I had to get to or from work. Real easy to swing into the C-store on either end. About 10 years before I found vaping I just said there was no point in keeping on trying to quit. If I hadn't lost the ability to hold onto a cigarette I'm sure I'd still be smoking.

* When I tried to quit by using Wellbutrin before it was labeled for smoking cessation I did find out that adding it to the antidepressant I'd been taking a while tipped me from 'not killing myself' over to pretty much the way normal people deal with the world. So that attempt was worth it.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have stepped down to 1.5 mg over a period of around 4 years. I started around 50 mg with the toss away ecigs. Worked so I went into tanks and less nic. Did 18mg for around a year. Stepped that down to 3 mg over a year or so and then went to 2 mg which worked fine as the tanks I used produced a lot of vapor. I have been on 1.5 mg for about a year and it works just fine. May go down to 1 mg soon.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I bought my first packet of cigarettes when I was 10, smoked them all one afternoon, threw up but as I staggered grogilly homewards I resolved to get good at that smoking thing ... I did and was throroughly hooked by age 16.

My cigarettes and then my pipes were my companion through life's joys tribulations and sorrows; they were part of my life and indeed my very identity. I led an active life hill walking, long distance walking and cyling 350 miles a week for pleasure. But oh nothing was finer than to pour our a cup of tea and light up at the summit of a hill or when reaching a certain milestone.

Some four years ago at age 65 I developed arthritis and recognised that I had the first signs of hardening of the arteries in my legs and switched to vaping - which gives me the same satisfactions that smoking did - I still have arthritis but not hardening of the arteries.

Do I intend to quit - err um... no actually I don't - anyway I have what I calculate to be ten years woth of vape gear stashed away "just in case" and being a Scotsman there's no way I could let that go to waste, good money having been spent on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread