Do you Vape around your children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turns

Mar 8, 2012
Vancouver BC
I live with a roommate who has a daughter, now she hasn't been around a whole lot, and I'm relatively new to this... But I don't see a problem with indoor vaping as long as I don't do it in front of her face. She's seen me smoke for sure, and her ma smoked so I don't want to set a bad example ... Kids are very impressionable. If I need a puff when she's around I just stroll into my room/bathroom and vape away. I can see how it would be more difficult for parents. As long as people are empathetic, they shouldn't inhale any drug in front of children.

xhaler

Jan 30, 2012
Vancouver
I hid my smoking from my kids, and not always successfully. While I'm proud that I'm not smoking anymore, I still won't vape in front of them. If I got caught...I would explain to them what it was adn how it has helped me stay smoke free, which they would be happy about. And..I vape in the house, just out of their view. Mostly after bedtime. I don't believe it is harmful to them in any way. Just my op.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I'll go out on a limb and say blowing the vapor in their faces might be good for them.

There is certainly an argument to be made for the anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial properties of PG having a positive effect.
In effect, blowing out your vapor in your home may help protect those you live with from getting sick.

The only downside I can see would be whatever fraction of nicotine escapes from our lungs.
And I'm not entirely convinced that is a downside.

Many non-smokers, turned vapers for medical reasons, find they are not getting addicted to nicotine.
In fact, they often state that they have to remind themselves to vape.

Some context for the above statements...

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Technically, nicotine is not significantly addictive, as nicotine administered alone does not produce significant reinforcing properties. However, after coadministration with an MAOI, such as those found in tobacco, nicotine produces significant behavioral sensitization, a measure of addiction potential.
Tobacco smoke contains the monoamine oxidase inhibitors harman, norharman, anabasine, anatabine, and nornicotine. These compounds significantly decrease MAO activity in smokers. MAO enzymes break down monoaminergic neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin. It is thought that the powerful interaction between the MAOI's and the nicotine is responsible for most of the addictive properties of tobacco smoking.

Having said all that, I wouldn't blow vapor in a child's face.
But that is mainly because of the unknown effect of the flavorings we use.

Although I don't see many cooks or bakers dropping dead from inhaling vaporized flavorings.
And when you cook with flavorings, you are essentially vaporizing them just like we are.

mupuinen

Feb 8, 2012
Finland
Yes, I vape infront of my kids. They saw me smoking and asked me to stop smoking. I did. They don´t mind me vaping, because it doesn´t smell bad.

I vape indoors. I try not to blow vape in their faces, but sometimes it happens. I didn´t smoke in the house, but I think vaping is so much less harmfull that it doesn´t matter. I might be wrong, only the future will tell.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I'm pretty convinced that what vapers exhale poses no measurable risk to any organism vapers might care about. Some vapers have claimed that exhaling PG actually acts as an anti-bacterial agent, and thus promotes good health. I'm skeptical of that claim, but I think it's true that what vapers exhale is simply not a danger to anyone around them.

On the other hand, juice containing nicotine is really dangerous. I am a bit astounded that people who are perfectly willing to keep massive amounts of a deadly toxin in their homes are concerned with the potential consequences of inhaling trace amounts of PG. Vaping is dangerous, but it is so largely because vapers use juice that contains nicotine.

I keep my juice in the upper dairy compartment of my fridge mainly because it is the only spot in my house my cats haven't learned to get at yet. They can get at the rest of the fridge pretty easily if I forget to put something heavy in front of it. And yeah, I have some mutant cats who open my fridge for the hell of it, even when they have food in their bowls. So they are a bit like children ;). Just smarter, and more dextrous.

I opened my fridge tonight, looked at my dairy compartment, and thought.. well, I have enough poison in here to kill many strong men. Or maybe 1000 cats.

I get kind of amazed when I read DIY instructions that say things like "Be sure to wipe up your 100mg/ml nicotine in PG solution well, because PG can be hazardous to cats." Oh, I see- it's the PG that's dangerous, is it? Look, unless you are vaping something close to 0 nic the nicotine in your juice is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the PG is, even to cats... it kind of stuns me that people don't get this intuitively.

What you exhale when you vape is harmless _enough_. But your juice is deadly poison, if it contains nicotine. You should get used to treating it that way, unless you vape 0 nic.

Best
T

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
Since I am so new, I am always learning things. I just found out that not all eGos have the '5 click on' switch. I think some kind of 'lockout' is a good idea.
As long as we learn a thing a day, we are moving forward.
Cheers.

That's why you get a KGO. It has the best ego battery on the market. It beats the competition by .3 volts. PLUS it has the 5 button click lockout. I've been vaping mine for 2 days now without recharging. DarkCityVapor has the best deal on them.

mupuinen

Feb 8, 2012
Finland
I get kind of amazed when I read DIY instructions that say things like "Be sure to wipe up your 100mg/ml nicotine in PG solution well, because PG can be hazardous to cats." Oh, I see- it's the PG that's dangerous, is it? Look, unless you are vaping something close to 0 nic the nicotine in your juice is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the PG is, even to cats... it kind of stuns me that people don't get this intuitively.
That´s true. Nicotine is poisonous. That´s why my juices are always out of sight except when I´m filling cartos and I have warned my kids repeatedly NOT to touch my bottles. Even with child-proof caps, I think my kids would be able to open them. :unsure:
Thank god my dog isn´t interested in my bottles.

And now I´m beginnig to sound like an alkoholic... "Stay away from my bottle!" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread