Do you vape indoor and with kids around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ditch.the.pack

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I have a 4 year old and I vape inside all day. I switched from cigs to vaping for her, mainly, so yes - I do it around her. She calls it "mommy's fake cigarette." :) I'm part of a mom's group, and have just converted one mom to vaping. I DO NOT vape around groups of children, unless outdoors (like a park or someone's backyard). But in the McDonald's PlayPlace or at a playdate at someone's home, or one of our group meetups? Nope. It's basic respect. :)

Kris2527

Dec 20, 2010
Oklahoma
I do vape indoors, and around my kids. I do not do in close proximity to other kids though. I'm just very discreet when the kids have a friend over, or even outside at baseball practice. I suppose it's about setting an example. My own kids understand what I'm doing, and why. I really do not want their friends to thinknits cool or anything like that based on watching me.

Worldgod

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Spokane
I do around my 7 yo...he is so proud of me for quitting smoking...he bugged me about all the time quitting after his mom quit. (Chantix worked for her but she was a raving lunatic...most of the reason we are not together now...HA) That said he is not in my cloud either and I don't do it around his friends or activities either.

Also grats on quitting :)

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
I will vape around kids I know and who know that I have quit smoking and understand that vaping is not as bad as smoking but still not something good to do.

I was at the local fire hall for a fish dinner a few weeks ago, after eating I went and stood in the small lobby while I was waiting on my wife. I walked to the far corner and hit my PV a few times. Some guy saw me and apparently knew what a PV was. It irritated me that he had a small child, probably about 3, with him and he pointed at me and excitedly told the kid to look when he saw the vapor. I was disgusted, I put my PV away and walked back into the hall.

I do not understand how anyone could actually think that watching someone breathing any kind of cloud out should be made a spectacle for any child. It is hard enough as it is to prevent kids from smoking, a parent certainly shouldn't treat it like a special show when someone blows out a cloud of anything. I would have preferred the guy treated me like a leper, and used it as an example to show his kid that it was bad.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
My daughter is grown but still lives at home. I never smoked around her when she was little because she has bad allergies even though cig smoke wasn't one of them. I vape around her now and anywhere I please unless small people are around, then it's concealed.

I feel like this, if a kid is going to smoke, they can learn it from one of their friends. I don't want to be the role model.

lynleestar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
NW Indiana
I tried to help my neighbor by getting him an ego kit.....I was over showing him how to put it together and he puffed on it a couple times, then allowed his 9 year old daughter to try it!!!! She immediately said 'I'm going to smoke one of those when I'm old enough'.

He decided he didn't like it and gave the kit back to me but that incident made me rethink vaping in front of impressionable children.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
I tried to help my neighbor by getting him an ego kit.....I was over showing him how to put it together and he puffed on it a couple times, then allowed his 9 year old daughter to try it!!!! She immediately said 'I'm going to smoke one of those when I'm old enough'.

He decided he didn't like it and gave the kit back to me but that incident made me rethink vaping in front of impressionable children.

Lynnlee, there are some people you just cant help in this world...I think it might be time to move. 0o

Sure, I do. It's important that they understand that it is absolutely NOT smoking. Important to have all the facts at hand to explain vaping to anyone who doesn't understand, in my opinion. The article "Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy..." by Dr. Michael Siegel and Zachary Cahn is a great easy to read way to start. It's in the Journal of Public Health Policy which is a peer-reviewed medical journal. It references all the studies and gives the numbers. Pretty impressive.

Now eating a big juicy cheeseburger at the local burger place!? That's something I'd like to stop doing in front of the kids. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread