Doctor's Opinions On Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Does their opinion matter? That's a question that I got in my head when I visited this doctor for the first time today. She asked me if I smoke cigarettes so I told her not for about 3 and a half years. Although I did mention after that I had been using electronic cigarettes for about 3 and a half years. Her reaction upset me very much. She said I should seriously think about quitting e-cigarettes too. I asked her what's safer, cigarettes or e-cigarettes and she says, well you read in the news all the time how unhealthy they are so you can't say one is better than the other.

I got really mad inside. If I was ignorant and listened to her, I would have felt terrible because I'd think to myself that my body is Still unhealthy. I actually felt dreadful inside for a moment but then reminded myself that vaping is 95% safer than smoking.

I feel that if a doctor is going to give their 2¢ about vaping to me, they should do it from research and studies or basically hard facts. Something to give them a say on the matter. Don't just pop out of your mouth what every other e-cigarette critic is saying, be it from the paper, the news or your friends. Your label is Doctor for a reason so keep what you tell your patients at that same level.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I have spoken to my primary care doctor, a urologist and a cardiologist about my vaping. They all told me it was better than smoking.
I must add that I agree that many doctors do approve of vaping and are not ignorant in this area. It's just that this doctor is a Neurologist, someone who specializes in something that on her level of expertise should know the truth about e-cigarettes.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I have spoken to my primary care doctor, a urologist and a cardiologist about my vaping. They all told me it was better than smoking.
^^^Same here.
My doctor didn't get her schooling from watching TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Threads with this same basic topic pop up all the time. Print out some of the real reports, like the ones from Dr. F, or the new one from Scotland where real Dr's are saying that vaping is 95% safer than smoking. Take these print outs with you when you go in again. Or better yet drop them off asap.

Every person her ignorance convinces to keep smoking instead of vaping is a person she condemns to death.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I must add that I agree that many doctors do approve of vaping and are not ignorant in this area. It's just that this doctor is a Neurologist, someone who specializes in something that on her level of expertise should know the truth about e-cigarettes.
So did you educate her?

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
So did you educate her?
Unfortunately I didn't. She seemed the type that was a little hard headed. Plus it was my first time seeing her so I didn't want to possibly get into an argument with her about it. I definitely thought about educating her but my intuition told me it's not a good idea.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Unfortunately I didn't. She seemed the type that was a little hard headed. Plus it was my first time seeing her so I didn't want to possibly get into an argument with her about it. I definitely thought about educating her but my intuition told me it's not a good idea.
Maybe next time (if there is one) you will be more prepared. Like the last poster said have some info handy or in your head to back up what you are telling her. And you are living proof that vaping is better than smoking. Tell her how your health has improved.

:)

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

If a Dr. is "hard headed" about learning medical facts, perhaps you should remind them of their Hippocratic Oath to "do no harm". Them being ignorant on a medical topic and giving bad advice as a result is a direct violation of that oath. I would then offer to send them links to actual studies, for his/her review if he/she wanted to get educated. Don't try to give them facts from your head, b/c to them you have less evidenciary credibility than MSNBC but if you can send them links to real studies by real Dr's that are experts in their field, that can make a difference.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Maybe next time (if there is one) you will be more prepared. Like the last poster said have some info handy or in your head to back up what you are telling her. And you are living proof that vaping is better than smoking. Tell her how your health has improved.

:)
You're very right, I really should do that. I have to admit that I was very shy with her. I think that's what prevented me from wanting to educate her. But like @ScottP said, I shouldn't give her facts from my own head, so obviously today I came unprepared but how would I have known. Next time I'll have printouts from the Dr.'s that are experts in the field. My only issue is where to get the material.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I would have told her then and there that she isn't the doctor for me if all she knows about vaping is what is in the news. I expect my doctors to keep up and actually know something about things that affect brain chemistry.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I was more bothered by uninformed doctors when I first heard of it. But if I was getting surgery, original or diverse thought would be less important than them doing what they have learned.

Oh I agree, but if they are not informed on a subject they shouldn't be giving advice on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread