Status
Not open for further replies.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
Hello All,

I am a huge supporter of vaping and everything associated with it. I vape in front of all my co-workers and have actually single handedly converted almost 10 people from smoking cigarettes to vaping full time. But, I work in a Auto dealership (don't hold that against me) and I feel embarrassed to vape in front of my customers. I am not to sure why because I don't mind explaining myself (if i'm asked) I don't know if it's because they might think i'm doing some wierd kinda drug or whatever it might be.

But I was wondering if any of you might feel that same way as me or am I all alone? I would love to hear your opinions on this matter.

Twinturbo4486

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
Biloxi, Mississippi (USA)
I agree completely with you to be embarassed around customers. If I worked in a place such as you, I would feel embarassed as well because people not informed, would think it was awfully rude you were coming up to them while smoking.

We know how some people can be, and they might not even want to listen to what you have to say and decide not to buy a car from this dealership because they thought it was rude... water vapor or not. A lot of people would understand and maybe even be intrigued, but every customer counts in business and I'm sure it would lose a few.

So yes, I would feel like you in that situation and would hold back my vaping while helping the customers for the good of my job and customer satisfaction.

Edit: Also, what if a customer seen you from afar. One you were not helping. People already tend to not trust dealerships, and they may just assume you are doing some illegal drug like you said and decide to leave. They will not want to buy their car from a dealership where drug use is going on, and you wouldn't even have a chance to explain because you were helping someone else or on the other end of the lot.

I think you should continue what you're doing.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
In a professional setting where someone is coming in to spend say 30k on a new car I would never think about lighting up or vaping in front of them while conducting this kind of business. Just my opinion of course but I just wouldn't do it and risk losing a sale over it, I would be very surprised if the owner of your store would even allow it.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
In a professional setting where someone is coming in to spend say 30k on a new car I would never think about lighting up or vaping in front of them while conducting this kind of business. Just my opinion of course but I just wouldn't do it and risk losing a sale over it, I would be very surprised if the owner of your store would even allow it.

I appreciate your feedback. As I mentioned I am embarrassed vaping in front of customers and I DO NOT do it. But I find myself embarrassed vaping in front of anyone I don't know, whether I am at work or not. If i'm outside a grocery store, movies, or where ever it may be. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the Original post. But the feeling of embarrassment is in front of anyone I do not know.

Twinturbo4486

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2011
Biloxi, Mississippi (USA)
I appreciate your feedback. As I mentioned I am embarrassed vaping in front of customers and I DO NOT do it. But I find myself embarrassed vaping in front of anyone I don't know, whether I am at work or not. If i'm outside a grocery store, movies, or where ever it may be. Sorry I wasn't more specific in the Original post. But the feeling of embarrassment is in front of anyone I do not know.

I am EXACTLY like that as well. I think they will think I'm doing drugs, or give me weird looks which I hate. Some people can deal with that and vape in public places, but I feel like you and I just cannot do it because I hate the dirty looks and start to feel embarassed. Unless it's a public place where smoking is permitted then I will vape in public as nobody is going to care much.

I will do it outside when just passing people or something, but still I wonder what are they thinking. I have started trying to stealth vape though like a lot of members have mentioned... with success too. Maybe just once or twice in a public place in an aisle all alone. I just hold in the vape until very little comes out, and look around before i exhale. I also look down and exhale out of my nose and it's barely visible.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
I've never felt embarrassed to vape anywhere smoking would be permitted, I do it for me, the heck with what anyone else thinks. In a work setting, anywhere smoking would be permitted should be fine.

Of course that said, I'm of an age where lime green checkered Bermuda shorts are the height of fashion for some... :facepalm: being embarrassed for public behavior is a thing of the past. :)

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Hello All,

I am a huge supporter of Vaping and everything associated with it. I vape in front of all my co-workers and have actually single handedly converted almost 10 people from smoking cigarettes to vaping full time. But, I work in a Auto dealership (don't hold that against me) and I feel embarrassed to vape in front of my customers. I am not to sure why because I don't mind explaining myself (if i'm asked) I don't know if it's because they might think i'm doing some wierd kinda drug or whatever it might be.

But I was wondering if any of you might feel that same way as me or am I all alone? I would love to hear your opinions on this matter.

I don't think I'd vape in front of clients unless I worked in a smoke shop or pv shop. To me it would be unprofessional otherwise... JMO

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
if you think they are against vaping, thell them you will stop it if they buy a car. winning duh!

See I disagree I thinkk it would be rude to smoke, vape, eat (unless it was a busness dinner) or drink (same thing as eating) in front of a client. Its just bad form not because its vaping.

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
are you a salesman? i'd treat it like smoking, don't smoke in front of the customer unless they smoke, or don't vape in front of a customer unless there vaping, could help you sell a car :) my step dads a car salesman and that's how he always treated smoking in front of customers. i detailed and never really cared if a customer saw me smoking as long as it wasn't in the shop

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
are you a salesman? i'd treat it like smoking, don't smoke in front of the customer unless they smoke, or don't vape in front of a customer unless there vaping, could help you sell a car :) my step dads a car salesman and that's how he always treated smoking in front of customers. i detailed and never really cared if a customer saw me smoking as long as it wasn't in the shop

I am actually the General Sales Manager. But, if there are customers outside looking at vehicles, coming back from test drives ect ect. I don't like to vape. But I also don't like vaping anywhere in public if I am around people I don't know, it just feels wierd to me. But I do regularly vape in my glass office when no one is looking :)

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
I am actually the General Sales Manager. But, if there are customers outside looking at vehicles, coming back from test drives ect ect. I don't like to vape. But I also don't like vaping anywhere in public if I am around people I don't know, it just feels wierd to me. But I do regularly vape in my glass office when no one is looking :)

lol ya that's understandable then. i always vape in public sometimes i get some funny looks but i really don't care aint a big deal.

ClayK

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
VA
With regards to vaping in general public, I do it and I don't see any reason not to. In fact, I often times go near the smokers (downwind of course). Typically, this will inspire a quick Q&A period. Most of the time, people are generally interested in asking valid questions. On rare occasions do I get approached by someone thinking it's some sort of mini-.... or something, those are few and far between. Again, this affords an opportunity to educate someone on what vaping is. No reason to be ashamed. You weren't ashamed to smoke in public, why should vaping be different? I'm cognizant of my surroundings though, I pay attention to vaping around kids, just like I did while smoking and those situations are easily avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread