does anyone remember the e-cig made by one of the big tobacco companys, it was fda banned then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
the fda said it was a drug delivery deivice, and it was stopped.
i have looked and asked for the history of this 1970`s device and have received no answer from anyplace, even asked a pbs place i thought showed the film in the early 1980`s and no response. i really want to watch this film again, and maybe it can help with the state of affairs now.

so again, anybody think this irrelevant, sorry, i`ve looked here every day from the day i joined, and postd a little. i`ve got a few friends to also contact our states sentors and congress persons, sent a real letter to Pres. Obama.

1. that in this day and age a piece of history can hide or disapper.
2. that when e-cigarette`s are fda aproved, they will cost a lot more.
3. we have a fight coming.

this was in early 80`s i saw it late 80`s

Last edited:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
the fda said i was a drug delivery deivice, and it was stopped.
i have looked and asked for the history of this 1970`s device and have received no answer from anyplace, even asked a pbs place i thought showed the film in the early 1980`s and no response. i really want to watch this film again, and maybe it can help with the state of affairs now.

so again, anybody think this irrelevant, sorry, i`ve looked here every day from the day i joined, and postd a little. i`ve got a few friends to also contact our states sentors and congress persons, sent a real letter to Pres. Obama.

1. that in this day and age a piece of history can hide or disapper.
2. that when e-cigarette`s are fda aproved, they will cost a lot more.
3. we have a fight coming.
There are several discussions about BT's efforts to develop smokeless cigarettes on the forum. The latest one was on the ACCORD. There are other discussions about the Heatbar and the history of the devices. IMO, these devices are key to it all in today's e smoking world.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Wow; the pic at the end of the article looks almost EXACTLY like a Janty STICK!
hist_accord.jpg
Aint this wild?

Steven

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
hey thanks sherid, i had that "nova" set in favorites, this is the later one, and i`m sure there is one that came out in the 80`s. came out in infomation, study, and proof of concept design, but not test marketed, because of the fda. i worked as a traveling manager for Tinder Box int. for two years in the 80`s and from 79 to about 87 i did not watch or own a tv. read a lot though during that time :)

saintgadreel

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
USA
I think you might be speaking of the Favor smokeless cigarette. Its pretty much a similar design to what is now the Nicotrol Inhaler. Not exactly an E-cig. I don't believe it was originally marketed by BT either. It was a competing product that disappeared after the FDA hammer fell, then oddly enough the Nicotrol Inhaler appeared later without even a second glance from the FDA.... The usual double standard favoritism towards established BT and BP companies over startups that actually do the leg work to make something new. Its not the first time this has happened either. Everything from certain foods to cereal has been on the FDA's hit list, and there is almost always a faint money trail leading to a company looking to eliminate its competition through legal no-goodery and loopholes. You won't find a lot of historical sources for many of these incidents without having to wade through the negating piles of conspiracy theory that tend to nullify any argument about the validity of a banned product. This is particularly true if no deaths are attributed to the banning of a product, and that can simply be covered over with words on a medical report. For instance, vapers, you will almost invariably be considered "smoking related deaths" upon your expiration..... No connection what so ever to any actions of the FDA short of not banning tobacco....

boxhead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Chico, california
no it was a battery device.
yes for the rest, good point, driving and trying pickup a dropped analog that is burning is a smoking related death ( so would filling a cart).
anna nichol smith`s weight loss stuff, took a long time to have fda`s eyeball on it...cant remeber the stuffs name. if i wanted a cortison shot for some joint pain i would have to go to a new doctor and say i` ve never had it before. with tobacco its almost your choice, you would go to a drug store for some more of the choice. ( patch, gum...)the fda`s stance of "a new drug" falls on the meaning section 201(b) can be seen as conspiracy theory to many who dont trust any goverment system, i dont know but a BT sponsership of any laws about tobacco seems just a little weird to me...8-o

jtwh20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2009
Cary, NC
Do you remember who made? The was a person in the US who has a patent on a US smokeless cigarette and if memory serves me correctly it was filed in the late 80's.

I think it was PM in the 80's - it did not get approved because the FDA was worried about people using it for smoking things besides tobacco

bitey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Central Ohio
Somewhere here at home in a box from an old office, I'm pretty sure I still have an unopened pack of the Premier "bead type" from the 1980's. I don't know if they will ever be of any use, but I would send them to counsel making legal arguments for us if they thought it would be helpful. After all, it's not exactly like I was planning to smoke them.

BTW, they were pretty terrible. I had three packs (free I think). I tried to smoke one pack, gave the second pack to a friend, and threw the third pack in a drawer at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread