Does more airflow = more nicotine in hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I just started vaping two weeks ago and I started wanting a tight draw just like a cigarette but I'm already adjusting (and favoring) a looser draw. I started with 12 mg nic and I'm just wondering if taking these longer 4-6 second draws with say, the largest airflow hole open on a nautilus Mini, does equate to more nicotine inhaled.

T4T3Z0R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Brevard, NC, USA
it is a big step. i se coils with much more surface area on my builds then my tanks have. i get several times the vapor so im getting sevral times the nic per draw. youll hav to experiment for whats right for you. id suggest starting at 6 and going from there. for me, i started dripping with 12 and it hit me a ton harder than 24 on my tanks.

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I just started vaping two weeks ago and I started wanting a tight draw just like a cigarette but I'm already adjusting (and favoring) a looser draw. I started with 12 mg nic and I'm just wondering if taking these longer 4-6 second draws with say, the largest airflow hole open on a Nautilus Mini, does equate to more nicotine inhaled.

No, a tighter draw will make it a little warmer and a little more flavor but either way same amount of juice, if you were using an RDA you would be getting more nic.....

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
jj, vape is all about balance. the air flow, watts vaped at, VG/PG ratio, nic mg level, and so forth, must be in balance, in order to deliver total vape satisfaction. More air is only good if one needs to move the vape, keeping it at the desired temp, balanced with the watts vaped at and wicking potential. Not only should one look at the air intake, but the bore of the drip tip should be considered to balance out for optimum vape production. Experience, knowledge and skill, also weighs in heavily on vape potential.:D

To much air on either end of the engine, makes for a lean vape, not enough air for adequate vape flow, usually produces to warm of vape or some potential wick charring. Also an understanding of wicking potential and fiber characteristics of fiber used, comes into play. Inadequate wicking or air flow can produce similar not right vape issues.

I look at vape similar to building an engine, looking at intake, carburation and exhaust. everything must be in balance for optimal purrformance :D Just saying

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I look at vape similar to building an engine, looking at intake, carburation and exhaust. everything must be in balance for optimal purrformance :D Just saying
Yes, but even then, people don't all agree on what makes a good engine. Some folks like lumbering V-Twins while others prefer small 4-cylinders that rev to 15k. :D

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
jj, vape is all about balance. the air flow, watts vaped at, VG/PG ratio, nic mg level, and so forth, must be in balance, in order to deliver total vape satisfaction. More air is only good if one needs to move the vape, keeping it at the desired temp, balanced with the watts vaped at and wicking potential. Not only should one look at the air intake, but the bore of the drip tip should be considered to balance out for optimum vape production. Experience, knowledge and skill, also weighs in heavily on vape potential.:D

To much air on either end of the engine, makes for a lean vape, not enough air for adequate vape flow, usually produces to warm of vape or some potential wick charring. Also an understanding of wicking potential and fiber characteristics of fiber used, comes into play. Inadequate wicking or air flow can produce similar not right vape issues.

I agree with this.
To elaborate: opening the airflow on a protank 1 head would likely cause a more anemic vape, hover with the dual coil setups the can produce more vapor with larger airflow.
Just like making fire (think of it as a combustion engine if you'd like): you need 3 things to make fire: air, spark, and something to burn. Too much air and the flame will go out, not enough air and it will smother the flame.
We are not making fire, but the same principles apply, more power means more heat, witch requires more airflow to cool. To create more vapor more surface area will allow the coil to have more exposure to the juice (provided you have efficient wicking) on the inside of the coil, and oxygen run across the outside of the coil will create more vapor than a smaller coil of the same resistance (higher gauge/thinner wire).

I hope this doesn't make things more confusing.... It's still early for me :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Yes, but even then, people don't all agree on what makes a good engine. Some folks like lumbering V-Twins while others prefer small 4-cylinders that rev to 15k. :D

Yeah, but the build has more to do with optimizing the vape potential of the rba being built. In the Russian I use nothing but the iV-twin build, Estia gets triple verticals, flashi gets the wide bore, big wire, sub ohm horizontal, similar what I use on the Rose2. Heck a cruiser, sport bike, moped, frak, pretty much the same categories as vapers, it ya think about it. Analogy still applies, with heavy influence on onse personal vape purreference.

Purrsonaly, purrfer a Vtwin sports cruiser, with big bore hc pistons and lots of torque, throw a BAC and a decent pipe on it, decent map on the powercomander, and one sees 0-60 in like 3 seconds tops:D. Just something about those huge twin jugs, pumping between my legs, and the head snapping torque. Frak, got nailed coming out of the on ramp at 120 once, but officer, isn't it an acceleration ramp???? Poor guy never got a good lock on me til 2 miles later when I had slowed it down to a respectable 16 over.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA

Thank you. Very enlightening and detailed but I'm still not entirely sure of a clear answer to my question.

If i set my nautilus mini to the smallest hole and take a tight 3 sec draw, would it yield less or more nicotine inhaled than a 6 second draw with the hole at the largest setting?

The longer more open draw is more airy obviously so I figure it's more air and less juice? Or would the nic intake be equivalent in this comparison?

Thank you. While quite enlightening and detailed I feel that my question is still not completely answered.

Let me put it like this. Which one of these would yield a higher nic intake:

Mini nautilus
Smallest air hole: 3 sec draw

Largest air hole: 6 sec draw

My beginners logic leads me to think that because of the more airy draw it's less juice and more air in the draw for the second one, so the nic intake should be equal but not necessarily more.

Am I really off here?

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Thank you. While quite enlightening and detailed I feel that my question is still not completely answered.

Let me put it like this. Which one of these would yield a higher nic intake:

Mini nautilus
Smallest air hole: 3 sec draw

Largest air hole: 6 sec draw

My beginners logic leads me to think that because of the more airy draw it's less juice and more air in the draw for the second one, so the nic intake should be equal but not necessarily more.

Am I really off here?

if the draw truly is "airier" I'd say you are correct. However, it depends on how well the coil keeps up with the wider airflow. to vaporize effectively you heed air to run across the coils. You could get more volume of vapor by running a larger volume of air across the coils. In that situation the density of the vapor is not changed, you just have more volume with the larger pull. More volume means more nicotine. I'm not sure what the absorption rate is on the mucus membranes that absorb nicotine into your body from the vapor, but in my experience, larger and thicker clouds usually means you will over nic quicker than smaller, equally as dense clouds with the same level nic juice.
I'm not sure if this is the case with the Nautilus as I havent experimented with it personally, but hopefully that logic is easy to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread