Does the cotton in coils need to be prepped with juice directly or.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    You could bypass the drops.. if you want to wait for who knows how long for your eliquid to slowly saturate your cotton.

Why wait?

During the wait, you can't fire the mod at all until the cotton is fully saturated or you'll burn the cotton. Again, why wait?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    can I just fill the tank without initially putting drops on the cotton?

IMHO, yes. Others might say no. But ask yourself this..."why not?". I mean, that juice doesn't go to waste. You eventually vape it. Juicing the cotton allows you to better position the tails, if nothing else. I juice 'er up good.

Reactions: Superuser187

thefutureisnow

ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Florida
    IMHO, yes. Others might say no. But ask yourself this..."why not?". I mean, that juice doesn't go to waste. You eventually vape it. Juicing the cotton allows you to better position the tails, if nothing else. I juice 'er up good.
    Why would you need to put drops in the cotton if the cotton is about to be submerged in liquid?

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Why would you need to put drops in the cotton if the cotton is about to be submerged in liquid?

Are you talking about an RTA?

For an RTA, your wick doesn't get "submerged" in liquid, it wicks the liquid. Big difference. If it was submerged in liquid, you would have a big flooded mess. Juice 'er up, start that process. And like I already stated, it helps in final positioning of your wick tails.

RTAs (and rebuildables in general) have a learning curve and nothing teaches better than hand-on experience. Youtube videos are a great resource, too. Videos and hands-on are far better than text help, like a forum.

I will refrain from posting this 6 times.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    2FDCE1D5-6C42-4A16-9EEB-7169D387A37A.jpeg

Not you, Uncle J. Another uncle. :D

Last edited:

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Even those coils that are submerged do not saturate all of the wicking immediately.
    If you pop a new coil in, fill the tank and immedialty fire your vape without having prepped the coil (putting a few drops down the center of the coil), you are going to burn your cotton.

I put several drops down the center of my drop in coils, while also saturating the visable cotton on the outside of the coil. Once I put the coil in, fill the tank and mount it on whichever device I'm using it on, it's ready go.

For my RTA's and RBA's, I soak the wicking under the coils and give it a quick hit of the power to start heating the coils, then soak the coil down again and hit the power again, while blowing on the coil to cool it. Then start saturating the wicking (rayon) and coil before puting everything back together and giving it a proper hit.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    can I just fill the tank without initially putting drops on the cotton?

When I build and wick a coil - I then FLOOD the wick with juice.

IMHO: It ought to be fully saturated with juice before putting the atomizer back together.

With 'factory' coils/atomizers I'll squirt juice into them until they are SOAKED with juice and then wait a few minutes to let the juice soak in and then blow the excess out before installing in tank.

cheers,

g.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    When the coil heats up its heating the cotton and that makes the cotton absorb juice plus the juice itself also get warmer around the cotton that it changes its viscosity helping more to absorb the juice to the cotton.
    If u drop some juice on the cotton or coil from the start and then fill and wait few minutes u then take a puff that in that moment helps the coil and cotton heat up and as i said asborb the juice and start working.

If u dont prep the coil with juice in some cases even if u fill the tank and leave it sit for very long time the cotton depending how tight may not saturate 100% and then when u take some puffs u may burn a little bit of cotton on a degree that may cause dry hit or may not but it will still affect the coils performance performance.
    Ofc maybe u are lucky and the heat will just absorb the juice and fully saturate the cotton but ehy take the risk and need to wait so much while with couple od drops on the coil u can then wait few minutes and vape knowing your coils are properly preped and will last as much as possible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread