Does your KFL do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tontus

Feb 11, 2013
Thailand
Hi guys,

So in my quest to understand why my KFL+ is mostly giving me dry hits and not wicking properly i may have had a revelation and need your input.

I am 99% positive that i am wicking right and 1 wick out of 5 is blissful and i always wick the same way. So trying to figure out what is the factor that gives me these bad tanks i realised that when i do my wick and put on the bottom half of the chiminey i always juice up my wick and since the channels are clear juice seeps out from the juice channels. BUT i have noticed that juice also seeps out from under most of the chiminey not just the juice channels.
Could this mean that i do not have the tight seal required for juice to be properly sucked up into the channels to my wick? is there a up and down side on the lower part of the chiminey? Does your FKL+ do this when you juice up the wick ? Help me please as I am really frustrated to chase proper wicking, i dont wanna blame the hardware but i really have a feeling its not my technique, though i am definitely willing to accept that i am not doing it right.

Cheers!

Tontus.

BeerGolfClouds

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2014
Orange County, CA, USA
Hi guys,

So in my quest to understand why my KFL+ is mostly giving me dry hits and not wicking properly i may have had a revelation and need your input.

I am 99% positive that i am wicking right and 1 wick out of 5 is blissful and i always wick the same way. So trying to figure out what is the factor that gives me these bad tanks i realised that when i do my wick and put on the bottom half of the chiminey i always juice up my wick and since the channels are clear juice seeps out from the juice channels. BUT i have noticed that juice also seeps out from under most of the chiminey not just the juice channels.
Could this mean that i do not have the tight seal required for juice to be properly sucked up into the channels to my wick? is there a up and down side on the lower part of the chiminey? Does your FKL+ do this when you juice up the wick ? Help me please as I am really frustrated to chase proper wicking, i dont wanna blame the hardware but i really have a feeling its not my technique, though i am definitely willing to accept that i am not doing it right.

Cheers!

Tontus.

My first reaction to this is that, if you are having juice seep out of the channels and from generally underneath the bottom chimney section, you are over-saturating your wick right from the start. That may be the problem right there. Juice the wicks just until wet, not dripping wet, and let the juice soak into the wick inside the coil (no need to saturate the coil itself).

Tontus

Feb 11, 2013
Thailand
HI BGC,

I dont think i understand your post. How would oversaturating the wick give me dry hits once the tank is mounted and filled?
my question is: is it normal for juice to seep out from under the whole chimney when tightened down fully or should it seep out from just the channels? because it would seem to me that if it seeps out from under the whole chimney then, once the tank is filled and mounted the vacuum effect would not be sufficient to suck juice up into the channels to my wick and coil for efficient juice delivery?

Cheers,

Tontus

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
My occasional and random burned hits pretty much went away when I started using Japanese cotton, I think because it was easy to get the exact same amount of cotton each time, so no choked wicks and no wicks that were too thin to work properly. So, my guess would be maybe experiment with the amount of cotton you're using (assuming you're even using cotton), and don't get carried away priming the coil. Also, you probably already know this, but make sure your wicks aren't hanging down into or right over the juice channels.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
When I wick I make them long and bring them out of the top of the first section of chimney. Then clip them off a 1/2 longer than the first section of chimney. Then I spread the two ends apart and fluff them up a bit and use a tinny screwdriver and poke the cotton down the sides to the bottom where the juice channels are. then wet the wick and test. Then screw on the top part of the chimney. Hope this helps. It is a fail proof system for me. CHEERS!

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
tontus, what you are describing is natural and nothing is wrong with it. I saturate the same way and always see juice seeping from around chimney bottom. when a so called vacuum is created, the juice will get sucked up thru the biggest opening, ie juice channels. as for your dry hits, you mentioned you can slide in your cotton easily? that right there is telling me your using insufficient amounts. I heard less is better but in an rta, that's not entirely true, you want a decent resistance when pulling wick thru coil. you obviously don't want to deform your coil by any means, and actually with 28g, your coil shouldn't move at all but it also shouldn't slide in easily. 99 percent of dry hits in the kayfun is from insufficient wicking material period. it is virtually impossible to obtain dry hits from over stuffing coil, what you will get though is a very cottony and muted taste. as for not placing your wick ontop or near channels, rubbish. as long as you don't physically wedge your wick tails down into channels, your good. one thing you can do is to listen to the sound at vaporization, this can also tell you how your wicked. as you depress the fire button, take a vape, and let go of button, listen to the afterburn sound, this is a slight sizzle. if you don't have enough wicking material, you will hear this sizzle for a couple of seconds after you release the button. if you have to much wicking material, there usually is not an afterburn at all. right after you take a vape and let go of the fire button, bring the atty to your ear and listen, you will hear a slight sizzle. your looking for about a 1 second sizzle, this is normal, if it seems to linger longer, not enough cotton. here is a pic of when I used regular cotton and if you look you will see the tails more or less right on top of channels. I use a 2mm diameter coil and use a strip of kgd just shy of 5mm in width, that's with the pad split before hand.

Attachments

• wick3.jpg
    wick3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 83

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Thanks for your detailed post vapdivrr, i will try more cotton and will try your angled coil. Mine are normally perpendicular to the screws.
Will report later.

Tontus.
You can try the angled coil and I kind of prefer it but a straight one works just as good. I just prefer placing my wicks rather then doing the cut Above chimney thing. I would keep your straight coil first, but just use a bit more cotton and place tail on ledge. After you place tail, screw on chimney base and saturate. Just peek down after you screw on base to see if nothing has moved. all and all I have always had a more consistent vape with an angled coil but either way works

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
When using KGD I've had better luck placing the cotton on the decks too. When I use yarn, I bring them up over the chimney and then tuck them back down. I can't say have had any better luck with the coil in any particular orientation but the angled one makes more sense to me. Currently using a pretty much perpendicular one and it's fine. I've also used (and this is how I was shown with yarn) a parallel one to the screws and then tuck the yarn in. That worked well also.

Also you can slightly unscrew the top cap when you have a fuller tank. (just until you see some bubbles come up) and screw it back down. That helps to prime it when the tank is fuller. Good luck. You'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread