Don't drip, dip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
I have noticed another benefit of dipping that helps atomizer life. When the atomizer discolors the fluid I rinse it out in hot water. If I notice the atomizer leaving some sediment in the cup I add a short vinegar and water bath before the rinsing. HAven't ost an atty yet (knock wood).

Yes! Only I do an alcohol bath and it clears up the sediment as well. No atty deaths here either)

Tiny little specks start showing up in your cup,
time to clean that atty up!

lol

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
HI all,
I am a newbie. I just purchased a 402. I was wondering how do you dip exactly? Could someone please explain, and also can someone point me to a good video of dipping? I tried searching on you tube and found only videos on dripping. Thanks so much!!

I don't know about videos but the first post in this thread explains it. Its pretty simple, you just dip the exposed atomizer bridge into a pool of liquid. Alot of people use a contact lens case, but you can try it out with a bottle top or any shallow container. I dip it until it stops absorbing the juice. If you want a feel for how much that is put 3 drops in your container and watch as the atty soaks it up. When the flavor drops off dip it again.

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
I don't know about videos but the first post in this thread explains it. Its pretty simple, you just dip the exposed atomizer bridge into a pool of liquid. Alot of people use a contact lens case, but you can try it out with a bottle top or any shallow container. I dip it until it stops absorbing the juice. If you want a feel for how much that is put 3 drops in your container and watch as the atty soaks it up. When the flavor drops off dip it again.

Thanks for your reply. So you dip the mesh rounded tip into the liquid? I've read a lot of warnings that dripping is not good for the atomizer, so dipping would seem even worse -- Now isn't there a fear of flooding the atomizer? :confused:

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Thanks for your reply. So you dip the mesh rounded tip into the liquid? I've read a lot of warnings that dripping is not good for the atomizer, so dipping would seem even worse -- Now isn't there a fear of flooding the atomizer? :confused:

Actually it is harder (almost impossible) to flood the atomizer with dipping. The mesh part is the wick for the atomizer which soaks up as much as it can but no more when you dip it in the liquid. The issue with dripping is that when you drip down onto the mesh you can miss and fill the atomizer with liquid (flooding) or drip too much and it leaks into the battery.

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
wow. ok missed that. so no carts at all (no cart, no polyfill).
When i get the ecig, i charge it for 8 hours, then do i do something to break it in, i heard there was some lube on the cig from the factory that has to be burnt off withiout inhaling 'cause it tastes bad?

Also should i use a cart to break in the ecig first before trying dippign??
Thanks so much for all your help!!

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
wow. ok missed that. so no carts at all (no cart, no polyfill).
When i get the ecig, i charge it for 8 hours, then do i do something to break it in, i heard there was some lube on the cig from the factory that has to be burnt off withiout inhaling 'cause it tastes bad?

Also should i use a cart to break in the ecig first before trying dippign??
Thanks so much for all your help!!

Yeah there is a primer used to keep it moist. The best thing to do is try to blow off the excess (a couple of hard puffs through the battery hole into a paper towel) and then vape at it until the nasty flavor goes away. Some seem to have more than others so maybe you get lucky. It takes a couple of days for the atomizer to get broken in and producing at max cap anyway. Personally I think the pre-filled carts are nasty so when I get those in a kit I use them to break in the atomizer, but I have also dipped a couple of atomizers into shape too. There is a definite learning curve but its not rocket science either. I think for the most part it comes down to finding your person preferences and thats always trial and error.

nikomoul

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
hi gatsby,
I finally got my 402 in the mail!
I charged it over night, but the light was still blinking green and red in the morning. Is this normal? It's the usb/ac combo plug.
Also, i am getting zero hit with the carts i got with the kit. Is that normal?
Also, i charged one battery over night and then threw the battery in a bag with the uncharged bat. now i don't know which one is charged. They are both working??!!
Your help is great!!!

gatsby

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
hi gatsby,
I finally got my 402 in the mail!
I charged it over night, but the light was still blinking green and red in the morning. Is this normal? It's the usb/ac combo plug.
Also, i am getting zero hit with the carts i got with the kit. Is that normal?
Also, i charged one battery over night and then threw the battery in a bag with the uncharged bat. now i don't know which one is charged. They are both working??!!
Your help is great!!!

The blinking light is normal. These chargers will charge the battery to green and then stop and let the battery discharge for a second and then charge it up again. It is a cheap protection from over charging.
Lots of factors affect throat hit specially with pre-filled carts, new atoizers, and new users. One prefilled carts are bad IMO and if they are the carts with the kit there is a chance it is a sampler with different nic levels. Higher nicotine levels equal more throat. SOme liquid gives better throat. Some carts have better filling have more juice... Also atomizers of all types need about 2 days of solid use to break and perform at the proper level. Finally your technique probably needs some work to fit your preferences. Use these first couple of days to play around with technique. Slow steady pulls work better and thats a lot different than you are used to with regular cigarettes. Try a combination of mouth hits and lung hits until it works for you. Watch some videos (the newbie section videos are useful although I learned alot just watching video reviews). Try carts, try dipping, try dripping. Certainly get some fresh juice out of the bottle rather than the prefilled carts.
Personally, I think it took about 2 weeks or longer for me to get used to vaping in general and get consistent. Then I went through the process of finding the set up and liquids that worked best for me. Be patient. You have a good model. This can be frustrating and at times takes some will power, but from some one who smoked for 25 years, 20 years 1-2 packs a day of full flavored and now hasn't had a cigarette in 4 months it is worth the hassle. Oh and with the batteries they are lithium so in theory they don't require all the fuss, but try to make your first few charges 8 hrs and you should be fine even if you mess up the first charge.
Also you might want to make a new thread with all your newbie questions. Some folks are purists about threads and you might get more responses in a specific thread.

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Well, props go back to ninjapuff for the lens case idea, and after an evening and morning using it I can confirm that it's a good one. Dipping keeps it producing vapor for what seems like forever, and I think I can even manage grabbing a fresh dip while I'm driving (not really recommended, but better than trying to manage the ecig, bottle, lid, and cartridge!). The lens case is now a part of my mobile stash.

But I had to make sure to label it with its new use with a permanent marker, I would NOT want to mix that one up with the one I put my contacts in... :)
Just went to Walgreens and got 2 lens covers for 3 bucks. Marked one side T for tobacco flavor and one C for cappuccino. Think a baggy with 4/5 lens caps for all your flavers!! :rolleyes:

legbuh

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
first, I've had my 401 for a couple months now. Love it, but seems the vapor/hit gets worse.

I tried everything.. tea bag, stuffing, etc.. Nothing worked. It was very inconsistent. I found myself smoking more analogs during the day. Not what I wanted.

then today while reading this I tried dripping. Worked great! So then I tried dipping. Even better!

Since I wear contacts we have tons of sample packs with cases in them around the house. Looks like I'll be swiping them all.. lol! Already have one where I label the cover with the flavor on each side.. :)

Hopefully watching meteor shower tonight.. I hope that this works.. I'll be dipping every 10-15 puffs or so. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread