Don't drip, dip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
You will know far before you do any real damage to the atomizer by running it dry. The taste will start to die long before you get in danger of burning up the atomizer. I dare say you would not be able to handle the god awful taste, it would definitely be self evident that it's time to dip.

As said before by others, the wick will only wick up what it can handle so you are in no danger of flooding it or putting too much on it. This is way better than dripping, since you are getting 100% use of your juice and none is dribbling down the sides, in the battery, or missing it altogether! I have always dripped with each new cart, when at home that is, it's just a force of habit since I also fill the cart as needed if just sitting around.

Glad to see so many people have changed their lifestye for a much more healthier one, and found it not only to be a great change but fun and rewarding to boot.

Last edited:

ePuffDaddy

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Philippines
This dipping thingie sealed the deal for me, back when I was torn between the 510 and the m401.

Question though: say I keep 10 drops of e-liquid in each contacts case, giving me 20 drops of mobile juice, how does that translate to number of analog sticks? If I was a pack-a-day smoker and would want to maintain the same level of nic fix, would those 20 drops suffice for a day?

TIA :)

mallie233

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Homewood, Al
Ive been dipping for a few days now, and i love it. This is definitely my preferred method. But (and i had this problem with dripping as well, i cant remember much about carts as i never really used them...) But when you arent vaping for a period of time the atty seems to dry out and You have to dip for a little while to get the taste out. I was wondering what you guys thought about leaving the atty sitting in a container of some propylene glycol while not in use... Any thoughts???

Different Tan

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello, I was considering disposing of my m401 as I struggled to get a decent amount of vapor and throat hit from it. I then tried removing the cartridge from the mouthpiece and dipping the atomizer wick in eliquid, as suggested by helpful members of this forum. What a massive difference it made! I get a nice long draw, a lot of vapor, good throat hit and a good flavor. The cartridge and mouthpiece combo really lets this ecig down, this is a damn shame as I find the battery life exceptionally good plus its a great size and looks really nice with the gold band on it.

I have noticed that lots of people on this site and others have trouble with atomizers and with dripping or dipping directly on to the atomizer. I use my ecigs fairly heavily and I have not encountered any such problems. I keep two atomizers and two batteries for my m401 and my 510. I don't like manual batteries, I understand why others like them, I just don't enjoy using them. I drip, or dip the m401 and make sure its got a good soaking of eliquid, sometimes I put too much in and it spills out but not once has any liquid got into the auto battery or caused any problem. Maybe I am just lucky and always end up with good quality parts, other than the problem with m401 cartridges I have not had any technical problems with any ecig stuff.

I don't have any complicated or time consuming methods of maintaining my stuff either. I blow out the atomizer now and again then run it under a hot tap. I blow it out again, dry it on a paper towel and use it again straight away. To reuse cartridges, I again just rinse the filling out under a hot tap, this cleans it completely. Put it on a paper towel and pinch it to soak up any water and then start using it again. I keep it simple. I'm beginning to wonder if people just like complaining about their stuff.

mallie233

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Homewood, Al
ALSO!! I was on another site and I found a great idea.
Yes, dipping is (in my personal opinion) better than dripping and carts...but i find that when I am driving somewhere it's a hassle to dip (or drip for that matter) as the liquid burns up fairly quickly. Someone suggested this, and i've been doing it for 2 days, and WOW: take a piece of your old cart filler and roll it into a ball. stick it in your liquid container and let it soak up some juice. then just stick it to the side of the atty, (i dip my atty in the juice to pick the ball up, getting as much juice as possible) then put the empty cart back over the atomizer and vape away! This (tested) lasts about 8 puffs longer than a traditional analog. So I get a full cig on the road without worrying about having to drip/dip while driving. Plus, more vapor!! Tastes amazing!! (I know you may think this is the same as a cart, but I can attest that it is not! In carts the liquid dries out around the atty and then you have the liquid up by your mouth and it can't get down the atty to produce the vapor. I went through 3 attys because of carts when i first started. burnt them to crap. this method makes it very apparent when you are out of liquid and you know that you will need more before you can vape again. It lasts as much as you would normally expect (with analogs) while driving and it's just so easy!) Just make sure, (if you have a protruding atty like i do) that you pinch in on the side of the atty when you close everything up with your empty cart, that way it is held up against the atty and you can easily draw all of the liquid out of the sponge. Anyways. try it, you'll like it!

bg458

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
In my opinion if this is your first e-cig don't try anything fancy with it. Nothing is worse than losing an atty or a battery when you are just starting off. When you get your kit you should first just use it the way it was ment. Then if you feel you are not getting the performance you like then try different things. Note that 401 atties do have a brake in period normally take a good day or two of vaping to break them in. Good luck if you still want to dip, drip or jump up and down (lol) then it will be easier to under stand once you have one infront of you.:confused:

I'm waiting my my eco to come in the mail and that will be my first try with an e-cig. Are you saying to remove the cart when dipping or just dip with the cart still intact?

robin1968

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Metairie, LA
I've had my Pilot for about 2 weeks now, and love it. I'm now using cartridges only when I'm out & about, and have been dripping on the atomizer when at home. Dripping works pretty well, but can get messy if I'm not careful, and it's near impossible if I don't have good light like when I'm watching a movie.

Last night it dawned on me that the only reason people started dripping was because the older models have a recessed atomizer. With the 401, the atomizer bridge sticks out, which makes it really easy to dip it in eliquid. I put maybe 10 drops in a shot glass, and just dip the atomizer into it. It gets the perfect amount of juice on it every time, and there's absolutely no mess.

I think a perfect solution for dipping while on the go may be a contact lens case. You can get them for maybe a dollar at about any convenience store, they should hold about the right amount of liquid for dipping, and they are designed to hold liquid without leaking.

I did a little searching, and they have contact lens travel cases that hold the lens case, tweezers, 2 small vials, and the other side has a compartment to hold glasses (which I would modify to hold batteries, atomizers, and cartridges). I think it would be the perfect carrying case for the Pilot. I can't post links yet, but search for "Contact Lens and Glasses Case" on ebay to see what I'm talking about.
I like it! Great post!

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
I love my 401. I hate refilling the cartridges. Either I'm making a mess, flooding the atty, not getting the stuffing right and having it get stuck to the atty and getting that horrible burnt taste, etc....

I dip at my computer, I drip or dip at work depending on the circumstances. I love the contact lens case for this.

I would love to not deal with refilling carts altogether... but I have a long drive to work. Dipping before I leave the house lasts me about half way to work. I am no where near agile enough or neat enough to try and drip while I'm driving, and lately I hit every green light... 8-o

What is one to do in this situation? I wouldn't think opening the lens case and dipping is any easier than dripping while driving (dwd - a new traffic violation). I think I'm going to have to mod my darn car so I can dip neatly and safely. Anyone have any ideas? If I can light a cig without looking and killing myself or others, I should be able to come up with a way to do this as well.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I wouldn't think opening the lens case and dipping is any easier than dripping while driving (dwd - a new traffic violation). I think I'm going to have to mod my darn car so I can dip neatly and safely. Anyone have any ideas? If I can light a cig without looking and killing myself or others, I should be able to come up with a way to do this as well.

Hey ghalenlee
jadeninja posted this simple tip a few days ago. makes dipping and driving a snap!

Ghalenlee

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Manchester, CT
Hey ghalenlee
jadeninja posted this simple tip a few days ago. makes dipping and driving a snap!

Oooh, no velcro at hand.. but I do have some of that sticky putty stuff (no not the Mighty Putty). I guess I can try sticking a lens case (maybe one with a thumb flippy top and not a screw top) (I worry about sloshing liquid all over the place) somewhere handy and see if that works.

Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do in the car, I really hate the carts on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread