Don't understand people!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
Hey bwilly, you did good by planting the seed!

Look at my stats. Around my join date, I knew a couple of people who started using cheap e-cigs and raved about how it made them quit really easily. I was curious, looked online, found this forum...then lost interest and kept smoking for another year. :blink: Got spurred into another quit attempt a few months ago, remembered about vaping again, came back to the forum and here I am 2 1/2 months vaping and HAPPY about it.

Would I have decided to try vaping had a couple of people I know not told me about vaping 15 months ago? Quite possibly not.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
So my neighbor came up to me today and was interested in vaping. She was aware that I quit smoking with and e-cig and wanted to show me her new kit she just ordered. It was the traditional one that looks like a cigarette with only 2 flavors (tobacco and menthol). I of course showed her mine. My Echo and my VMod. Showed her how I drip with different flavors and gave her one of my cartos with blueberry muffin flavor in it.

Seen her today and she said "I just have to quit" In other words not interested. I am so frustrated she is the 4th person I told about the benefits of vaping and I keep getting the same exuses 1. I don't want to replace one addiction for another. 2. I don't own a computer 3. It's too expensive. 4. I just want to quit period (which most of them won't quit).

I get the whole thing about people won't quit until they're ready, but it seems like a no-brainer. No tar, no chemicals DUHH!! Just feel like shaking people and say ARE YA KIDDIN ME!!!

I just wanted to share this whole vaping experience and let em know they don't have to smoke analogs anymore I thought they would be just as excited as me. It just seems no one is listening :(

I have decided from here on if someone has ??? I will direct them to this site and give them a card. Then drop the subject.

Thanks for listening. I don't expect any replies just wanted to vent. Because obviously I don't have any one outside of this forum who are willing too listen. Thank you to any one who reads my rant:vapor:

:grr::grr::grr:

Thanks Bwilly for sharing your frustration. I've read many good similar responses in this thread. We read all of these posts about getting other people to switch but my guess is there is a far larger percentage that never do. I'm a skeptic as much as anyone. I can understand some people looking at vaping as just another scam. (and with heavily marketed/poorly performing models like the Blu, I can see why) I would guess no more than 20% of the smokers I have told about vaping have actually even tried it. You still have to really, really want to quit even for vaping to work.

All we can do is educate ourselves and be prepared to explain the plusses and the pitfalls to those who ask. I carry a business card size handout I made with several web sites and a couple of recommendations on it. I've easily handed out about 100 - 150 of these cards to those who really seem interested.

jamesd1628

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Chattanooga/Ringgold
That's great advice right there. I used to try to convert people. I stopped because it never worked. I will answer questions and help people who are truly interested. Most people are not. And I never tell people its simple, because its not. You have to be willing to experiment, fidget, etc. Most people aren't.

People are funny beings. If I was forced to use one word to describe how this planet works it would be CONFIDENCE.

If they feel you are too eager to help, they may lose confidence in your presentation and prefer to go around with the sad excuses you so eloquently listed. If they feel you have accomplished something and don't give a rat's behind about whether or not they quit, the chances of them quitting would be higher.

Based on your message, it seems like you really care and oddly enough that may be your biggest reason for having the lower conversion rate. I am always polite but distant. I make them feel as if they are occupying my time and my conversion rate is very high.

My :2c: based on my experiences.

VTAK8K

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2011
Indiana
As everyone has said, good job on planting the seed. When I first realized how great vaping was, I began spreading the word to my friends and family. Much to my dismay, none of them really cared. A few coworkers asked me about it and I told them everything I knew, they never converted. Now that I've been smoke free for so long, some of my friends and family are becoming interested. In the past few months, I've finally gotten a few converts.

It's like throatkick said, just do it for yourself. If someone asks you about it, don't be all eager and flood them with info. Have a casual conversation and answer any questions they have. Once people see it working for you and you're not in their face preaching, they are more likely to come around.

Smokalo

Moved On
Jan 22, 2012
Illinois
From what I've encountered, people are a lot more enthusiastic about PVs if they discover them on their own as opposed to being introduced to them by another person. I guess it's because people think that because someone quit smoking by using a PV then the PV must be better, or similar to an actual cigarette and when it doesn't meet their exact expectations, they shun it and continue smoking. Although there are some people that are very open to the idea of using a PV, a lot of people think of it as a scheme to waste their money. Ehh, you can't convince everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread