dotBox 'shorted' error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
Hi everybody,

A few months ago, I bought the dotBox 200W from DotMod. I really loved it: light, elegant and smart.

A couple of days ago I started seeing this error message when firing: 'shorted'. Each time I pushed the + and - buttons together, resistance dropped to zero. Since then, this error kept popping up randomly, preventing me completely from vaping.

I tried two rebuildable (Petri V2 and GAIA RDTA), then I tried the smok TVF8 baby with a ready-to-use coil (V8-T6). The 'shorted' error was still there, which I think means there is nothing wrong with the coils I built. The dotMod dripper, The GAIA RDTA and the SMOK tank worked perfectly on other Mods (e.g. DRAG 157W, iStick Pico).

I'd really hate to lose that Mod. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_8112.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That doesn't mean you couldn't still get it repaired, I have to be honest, my kiddo was very hard on cellphones and water, and we warrantied a couple times, after trying to dry it out. My thought was always that if they could figure out water had damaged the phone, they could ask me and I would answer honestly. It never came up.

Anna

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
That doesn't mean you couldn't still get it repaired, I have to be honest, my kiddo was very hard on cellphones and water, and we warrantied a couple times, after trying to dry it out. My thought was always that if they could figure out water had damaged the phone, they could ask me and I would answer honestly. It never came up.

Anna
Sure, no problem with that. It's really not that much water, but I will be honest with my description to the manufacturer.

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried just opening it and unplugging the battery. Might need a full hard reset.
I just tried it. The thing is the error is random (though frequent). So now it works fine, but I'm sure it will bug again in a moment.
The other thing is I saw nobody talking about it. The error is apparently extremely rare.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I suppose defective batteries could cause the error... but intermittently? I guess, to the OP, if you haven't, try some new batteries in it (these could be batteries from another mod, or just fresh ones, if you haven't). Do you USB charge or do you have an external charger. Some mods are very hard on batteries and charge unevenly via USB port, so I suppose that could be the issue.

I can't imagine you haven't tried this, but if not, try it.

The other issue is the intermittent error. That tends not to be a battery issue, but probably something shorting or loose in the mod.... With that said, it's good to explore all possibilities....

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: -KT-

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I suppose defective batteries could cause the error... but intermittently? I guess, to the OP, if you haven't, try some new batteries in it (these could be batteries from another mod, or just fresh ones, if you haven't). Do you USB charge or do you have an external charger. Some mods are very hard on batteries and charge unevenly via USB port, so I suppose that could be the issue.

I can't imagine you haven't tried this, but if not, try it.

The other issue is the intermittent error. That tends not to be a battery issue, but probably something shorting or loose in the mod.... With that said, it's good to explore all possibilities....

Best of luck,

Anna
Thanks again Anna. I use an external charger set to 500mA for optimum charging. I only use USB charging when I have no other choice.
I have two pairs of batteries (2500 and 3000mA). I'll try to find new ones.
As soon as I'm near the box package, I will write to dotMod as they need detailed information (certificate, serial...)

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Thanks again Anna. I use an external charger set to 500mA for optimum charging. I only use USB charging when I have no other choice.
I have two pairs of batteries (2500 and 3000mA). I'll try to find new ones.
As soon as I'm near the box package, I will write to dotMod as they need detailed information (certificate, serial...)
Did any of the suggestions work? That's my same big fear - to get an awesome mod and then have an intermittent problem occur!

[emoji22]

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread