dotBox 'shorted' error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
Dang! That's a lot of money. Seems like they should fix it for much less, especially given that the online description of the mod says that the chipset is encased in plastic (that means it should be shock-resistant).
Converted to local currency, that's almost $150, plus the shipping costs both ways.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is a ton of money for a fix, if you count shipping. How long have you had it again? There might be a way to negotiate with the vendor if it's pretty new, it almost seems cheaper for them to just send you a replacement at this point, for $150, I am seeing them on sale for $120 dollars here: dotBox (75w) - dotmodretail though if you have the 200 watt version it's $180, that seems like a pretty insane price for a repair....

Do you know a resident guru electronics expert? I'm wondering if you could just purchase the chipset, have it sent one way, then have it repaired by either someone you know, or a knowledgeable B&M vape store with an electronics expert?

I am sorry to hear this. The geekvape agis is pretty beloved by many who own it, if you decide to go the replacement route, but I think it has less battery life? I thought it was a 1 battery mod...

Best of luck with what you decide on! :)

Anna

gofishtx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Tomball Texas
I don't think it's the battery, but possibly the 510 pin, Look on you tube and you may find a fix. I have fixed the 510 issue before buy slipping a small Oring over the 510 pin to raise it up a little, but it could be a loose wire from the 510 or the battery sled. I doubt you would get a short message on the board if there is a problem with the chip. The chip is designed to tell you about a short somewhere in the device and most likely a loose wire that just needs a little solder. The chip must be working to give you the message.

• Informative

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
That is a ton of money for a fix, if you count shipping. How long have you had it again? There might be a way to negotiate with the vendor if it's pretty new, it almost seems cheaper for them to just send you a replacement at this point, for $150, I am seeing them on sale for $120 dollars here: dotBox (75w) - dotmodretail though if you have the 200 watt version it's $180, that seems like a pretty insane price for a repair....

Do you know a resident guru electronics expert? I'm wondering if you could just purchase the chipset, have it sent one way, then have it repaired by either someone you know, or a knowledgeable B&M vape store with an electronics expert?

I am sorry to hear this. The geekvape agis is pretty beloved by many who own it, if you decide to go the replacement route, but I think it has less battery life? I thought it was a 1 battery mod...

Best of luck with what you decide on! :)

Anna
Thanks again Anna. I probably won't go for what they suggested.
Weirdest thing is when I asked if they saw that message before, they said they didn't.
I think I'm going to invest in some BF cigarette.

Kais Rourou

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's the battery, but possibly the 510 pin, Look on you tube and you may find a fix. I have fixed the 510 issue before buy slipping a small Oring over the 510 pin to raise it up a little, but it could be a loose wire from the 510 or the battery sled. I doubt you would get a short message on the board if there is a problem with the chip. The chip is designed to tell you about a short somewhere in the device and most likely a loose wire that just needs a little solder. The chip must be working to give you the message.
Makes perfect sense. Like I said above, the manufacturer himself never saw that 'shorted' message'. Pretty weird isn't it? I will send it nowhere. I'll open it myself and see what I can do.
I left the mod for days now, but every time I check it it works for a few seconds then goes back with that error.
Will let you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread