iStick Pico 75W atomizer short

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider3

Apr 5, 2018
Not sure if im posting in the right area or not. I bought the istick mini 75w. it didnt come w a battery, so the first thing i did was plug it in using the usb port, it came with its own tank put the tank on that it came with, got the atomizer short error, changed coils. Used 4 different tanks that i own and i know work with other mods and still got the same atomizer short error, lifted up the pin on the mod, tried screwing in the tank all the way and then slowing unscrewed the tank to see if there is any connection, tried just about everything i have read on the internet about why atomizer would be short.. So I was sent another istick pico because maybe the 1st one was faulty, still received same error. Maybe this is a NOOB question but could it be that there isnt a battery inside the mod( even though it is plugged in by usb) i just wanted to see if it worked prior to buying a battery. If the istick is plugged in using the usb charger will it work, I guess is the real question?

Vinnybagodoughnuts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2015
Your post and my post mean the same thing
Well I believe no and yes are 2 different answers.:p Reading the OP'S post again I think I understand what you are saying but his/her "real" question was whether the Pico will fire without a battery while plugged in.
The Pico does have pass through charging but it still needs a battery. Good luck trying to vape anything using only a 1 or 2 Amp wall wart.:D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the pico can be vaped while charging, but yes, you need a battery in there first. Also, you need a decent charger it's not fantastic to continually charge using the USB port it will put added strain on the mod, the port, and the battery.

Some decent charger manufacturers include: Xtar and nitecore and there are others. You probably won't need a supremely fancy or expensive charger with bells and whistle so you should be able to pick one up fairly inexpensively.

You also want a battery that suits your needs, I would recommend checking out Baditude or Mooch's blog for more battery information and how to handle your battery safely.

If you must use USB in a pinch use a wall wart, if something goes wrong you don't want it frying a computer. I am also not the biggest fan of "passthrough" as a feature, although some mods offer it. USB charging will heat the battery and if you interrupt its charge, you are asking the battery to rapidly cycle through "charge--discharge-- charge" and to me that scenario isn't ideal.

Best of luck,

Anna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I charge my Pico battery on board 99% of the time including during the day. I also charge my cell phone battery without removing it and so do 100's of millions of other people. When the mod is sitting plugged in it's charging. Pressing the fire button stops the charging until it's released. USB charging produces enough power to recharge a cell phone battery and operate the cell phone. USB does not produce enough power to do the same with a mod.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Right. (To the above). It is also why I don't use passthrough, I kind of view it a bit like asking a battery to eat, then immediately vomit up what it ate, then eat it again.

My stomach doesn't want to do that and while a battery may not have any "feelings" on the matter I would consider that a somewhat "stressful use" application, hence my reason for not using USB charging unless I absolutely have to.

However, I'm also not saying you have to do what I do, and I have some internal vapes, but really, I think the chemistry involved in removable style batteries don't necessarily love it. I will say I have some mods I USB charge but they're either internal batteries or the manufacturer had specifically set up the mod for USB charging (think, a Radius).

So I'm not saying there's anything wrong with USB charging although I'd infinitely prefer not to (and definitely not pass through vaping) unless I can help it. I can help it. Etc.

Again, that's my own little analogy but it kind of works.... for me. :)

Anna

Reactions: Hawise

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    B4 I got the pico 75w I read up on it all over the place. Found a thread here about charging the battery via usb. That was enough to put me off.

Plus I've also got 2 old tablets that are now paperweights after their microusb ports became damaged. So I just save the USB port on my pico for software upgrading and charge its batteries externally.

The main reason I like the pico so much is how I can pop in a charged battery and carry on, without having to plug the mod in and charge.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    B4 I got the pico 75w I read up on it all over the place. Found a thread here about charging the battery via usb. That was enough to put me off.

Plus I've also got 2 old tablets that are now paperweights after their microusb ports became damaged. So I just save the USB port on my pico for software upgrading and charge its batteries externally.

The main reason I like the pico so much is how I can pop in a charged battery and carry on, without having to plug the mod in and charge.

The reason I like the Zelos is how easily I can charge it without unscrewing battery cover and taking battery out ...placing this battery cell in charger with proper orientation ...finding charged battery... placing it correctly in mod ..... screwing battery cover........ to charge Zelos it is enough to just plug the cable... it takes for me less than three seconds to do that :w00t: (I have couple of years experience charging this way my phones and no single USB port on any of those phones got damaged).... so after those three seconds necessary to start charging Zelos I grab my second mod and can carry on...;)

Yes, USB ports can get damaged... the same as internal battery contacts for cells... battery doors or even battery cells (overcharged or too much discharged). For 2 days I am proud owner of mod that do not allow USB charging and so far single fully charged 3000 mha battery cell let me vape shorter period of time than Zelo's internal battery. But that is not a problem... I can grab my Zelos and carry on... by the way my new mod with externally charged battery is very dependable and rugged... it is the one you saw tortured by tractor :rickroll:

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread