Dotmod dot squonk battery wrap problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
I got the dot squonk w 2 20700s a week ago.
The 20700s are vapcell golds.
Ive been using about 2 a day now and i had to re wrap them once.
Thought that the wraps just sucked so i got some of those broadside wraps.
Rewraped them both and now about a day after that ive already got a small hole in it.
About 1-2mm on the negative side.
Any way to prevent this from happening?
And is it bad if i got a small hole on lets say just the negative side?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I got the dot squonk w 2 20700s a week ago.
The 20700s are vapcell golds.
Ive been using about 2 a day now and i had to re wrap them once.
Thought that the wraps just sucked so i got some of those broadside wraps.
Rewraped them both and now about a day after that ive already got a small hole in it.
About 1-2mm on the negative side.
Hi and welcome,
What charger are you using?
If you post a photo, it might help to resolve your issue.

Cheers
I

• Useful

Benzoboss

Aug 10, 2018
xtar vc2 for the regular stuff and a efest k2slim for fast charging.

Attachments

• 1534011450412420702809.jpg
    1534011450412420702809.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Useful

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe be much more careful when inserting/removing your batteries from your mod and chargers? Something's going on for your wraps to get torn so easily. :unsure:

I dunno, I've got several one year old 18650 batteries that I use in rotation and NONE of them have gotten holes or tears in them during that time. So it must be you or your gear that is causing the torn wrap issue. I don't use that size of battery or use that particular mod. Maybe you need to find a charger or mod that is more user-friendly for that size of battery?

Any exposure of the metal "can" of a battery should be completely avoided. That also include the metal lying underneath the insulating loops on the positive end of the battery. So keep your batteries looking like when they were brand new -- nothing else is acceptable. Anything metalic that touches anything other than the center of either end of the battery is dangerous to cause a hard short to the battery.

Are your battery wraps and insulator rings intact?

Why Repairing Batteries With Cracked Wraps Is Absolutely Essential

Battery tears

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK quite what happened either but some new mods just take some adjusting to when inserting and removing. I suppose it could be your charger, I guess, but unless these are totally new to you batteries, well it could be a charger insertion issue OR the mod.

I have generally found that I'm not needing to rewrap nearly as much, now that I'm using more care with all my mods in general. Good luck isolating the issue.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm not familiar with that mod, but I would check the contacts for burrs and sharp edges. I use a q-tip and run it over the contacts of a mod and if it pulls the cotton any, it has a burr. If the edges of the contacts are sharp, you can either sand/file them smooth or be more mindful of the sharp edge when inserting and removing the battery.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What charger do you have and does it have sleds? If so, sometimes oiling them will help and./or doing some judicious stretching exercises (the charger, not you) can ease things up. When I bought my nitcore 2 bay, those sleds were really pretty tight. They eased off over time, but knowing what I do now, I would have had AT those sleds, etc.

My apologies if you've already mentioned your charger and it's not a sled one, I can't remember.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread