Dramatic loss in taste and smell of EVERYTHING since vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Another thing I discovered is that Nautikus bvc coil 0.7 has recommended use 18-23 watts. While running it at 28-20 it was gone in flavour wirhin a week. Now went down using it on 15watts and it seems helpful. So, below the lowest recommended power.
Using wattage mode on my Revenger I was reading about those miliseconds of owerpowering the output at the very beginning of a puff, sometimes even above 20 watts, but just for an instant. Still, was that destroying my coils pretty quickly? Naybe so.

Still learning after a year....

Reactions: stols001

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
radical suggestion: get a dripper, use a VG50/WATER50 solution, real high nic, taste whatever you like. that should get you some bomb hits while keeping the overall amount of consumed vapor relatively low.
Hi Tailland,

are you serious ?? I read upto 10% to dillute into 100VG works fine to thin the thickness of VG itself. But, 50% of distilled water??? Water boils at 100C, which is rather low for vaping. Coils should be SS to avoid rusting.
And, why a dripper was actually into trying one like Goon or smth alike.

Can't find any such description on internet with 50H2O/50VG.

Suppose this was a provocative joke

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Im going to be honest here. I didn't read ask the posts but I was wondering what watts you vape when using mtl? I saw with the free max it was 60.
Yes, 60 watts on a mesh coil 0.12 Ohm resistance. That's normal use of it. Best subohm tank for my taste. Now, I understand your question. What's he doing on a subohm at 60watts explaining he even has problems with mtl is above 4 ml?
Well, I like DTL style as well, surely even more with this Freemax mesh. It' s because of the flavour again. This tank is perfect for some menthol-fruit mix althoug I just run it with Pacha mama original juice. I enjoy it very much. But, the catch is you must not go lower than 60-70 VG or the thinner PG might end as spit back in your mouth. As VG dries my mouth immensly I can only vape few puffs daily. Some days even don't touch it.
Use 2 mg nic in it. Huge intake of vapour and very smooth.
I did only once empty the whole tank 4ml in a day. It does have even worse impact on my senses. So, I use it very occasionally. But I found it like opens, cleans my nose instantly. Some people use high menthol for running nose.

So, we speak here of very very tiny use of this DTL vape device. Exactly because of the problems I mentioned. If those problems were gone some day I'd probably be running 3 such tanks!

Just because of my problems I vape 98% from my Nautilus 2 which is mtl and to be used from 12 - 20 watts.

I dont think anything wrong with that although am running Nautilus a bit lower cause of higher nic for the last few days - at 15 watts with the 0.7 Ohm coil which has otherwise low point of wattage - 18 Ohm. This lower wattage I think helps the coils and I also feel a bit less pain in my mouth.

Keep on...

Reactions: Fiestylillady

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Suppose this was a provocative joke
Not at all. The problems you describe warrant a radical approach.

I'd try a really cheap dripper, because the VG/Water mix would be too runny for any vacuum reliant tank setup. And yes, you could inhale cooler water vapor instead of a hot VG/PG mix. The only thing to look out for is not causing a short circuit with the water%, so careful mixing with distilled water is due. And a dripper will be best suited for that task.

Last edited:

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Not at all. The problems you describe warrant a radical approach.

I'd try a really cheap dripper, because the VG/Water mix would be too runny for any vacuum reliant tank setup. And yes, you could inhale cooler water vapor instead of a hot VG/PG mix. The only thing to look out for is not causing a short circuit with the water%, so careful mixing with distilled water is due. And a dripper will be best suited for that task.
Any links to such technique? Have you tried it? Dripper is not practical for my daily use but am ready tp try anything to improve the experoence which woul help to quit 'em smokes.
Why do you mention higher nic? Am on 7 mg now and seems quite high to me. Thanks buddy.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
The extraordinary problems you've described could be connected to both, quality and amount, of the vapor you inhale. So I'd naturally look for a solution that tackles both those aspects. Replacing VGPG with water is one thing (experiment to find the right amount), raising the nic amount to make you take fewer overall hits is the other.

Using a dripper makes sense because:
- not relying on capillary action to soak the cotton.
- not relying on tank vacuum to hold juice in the cotton.
- no delay between filling and experiencing the quality of what you just filled in.
- no loss of time/juice if you need to replace your wicking or have to clean the entire deck.
= instant-experience experimenting platform.

I myself use a special mix, though not with that much water. I start with VG80/PG20, then dilute with about 5% of distilled water. Although I have some (mild) allergic reactions to PG, I haven't fully thrown it out because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. The above mixing ratio is really smooth and causes me no problems worth mentioning. As of this moment, I'm still mixing in between 1.5 and 3% nic, simply because I vape a lot, but I'm also seriously considering raising the nic amount again to reduce my overall vapor intake. And finally, because my taste buds are still not operating on full capacity, I need between 25-50% more flavor% in my mixes than usually recommended by the manufacturer. So no, I can't really buy my juice off the shelf either :ß

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Swedish snus has been shown to have more harm reduction than ecigs, I believe most studies (and it's been around a while) are putting it at 98%. Most of Sweden's smokers have quit using it.

A) tobacco is not the devil, combustion is the devil.
B) Swedish snus has been processed so that even more of the "negative stuff" is gone. It's a pretty safe option. It's not for everyone but given your situation I'm surprised that you would not give it a try. Swedish snus is sold here under the name "American General Snus" but it is in fact, from Sweden.

Do some research before ruling things out of hand. Snus is about 98% better for you than the cigarettes currently being smoked because you can't vape. Etc.

Anna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thanks again S&S,
I do appreciate your opinion. Howevervafter a year I wouldn't call it 'unwillingness' but rather loosing the strong will I had. Did you read I quit for 6 months? No analogues, just vape. But that was the beginning of my journey when everything tasted so fine. Wasn't doing anything differently than today. Enjoyed as much as 10ml/day on a rather low 4mg. As this was suggested by my local shop. Tried higher nic but soon would feel itching my throat. It was fine while it lasted. Once the problems started I found myself restarting the analogues. Just 1-2 per day. I found a relief from burnt mouth in it. After a smoke within 10 mins I was 50% better. So that took me to 10 cigs a day along with vaping.
The cofusing thing is at the beginning I as if couldn't overdo vaping. My mouth and nose were dry in the mornings but that's all.
The second confusion is I enjoyed vaping and quit smoking rather easily. Never before was I successful in my attempts to quit for more than 2-3 weeks. Always just restarted at a point.
So, 1 pack a day of middle strong cigs and I succeefed to exchange that for 7-8 ml of e juice with 4 mg of nicotine. I d say that shows the will, don't you think?
You mentioned the flavours. I found several of them like the most popular one: strawberry - to give me irritation, a sort of allergy probably that led mi into vapers tongue twice. Excluding maltol, acetyl pyrazine etc. I never experienced that again. Today my preference are tobacco vapes. I won'"t deny I like the strong flavour but in my DIY I'd go upto 15%. Always in accordance with flavours recommendations, not above.
I did respond you I tested pure VG and 80% PG - without any flavour and had the same symptoms. So, both, VG and PG are not good for me.
Don't know what PEG400 is, will go check around, thanks.

Well, I just raised my nic to almost 10mg, just to try. And, yes: the throat hit becomes stronger so I am forced to cut down the puffs. Besides I can only MTL such nic content, no DTL. It again lowers the juice intake.
That's all fine. I just miss the joy I had with my vape at the beginning. Went to same shop for the same liquids and nic but no way to reproduce it.

Now I hope you undestand better: I enjoy vaping much more than smoking. But, would prefer to be able to chain vape, feel the flavour even after 6, 7, 8 ml. Cause I realy enjoy vaping. You know kids like candies. It is very hard to restrain it by explaining about bed effects.
I expected quiting cigs is easy to be replaced by vaping. And, it was for 6 months. I am just angry this wouldn't last but changed without a reason.
The only reason I could think of is my body rehecting higher vape ibtake - due to the vaper's tongue that lasted 2-3 days when I completely lost my taste for everything. Even food and drinks. I am thinking that might've reset my brains to decline vaping at a certain level.

Bottom line, best advice I got here was to increase the nic. I am doing so but won't go over 12. Still, it is not what I had from vaping at the first 6 months.
Therefore I am considering to get into a pid with some 20mg of salted to see how that works. I know that's not aimed for chain vaping but I can do it just paralell with a MTL tank. DTL shall be put aside for a while.

See, I am not that unwilling. It's just that I have had good experience and than suddenly - lost it. And, as I read here - I am not the only one...
The last thing, I was hoping to see if there's anyone on dual use but obviously all you guys succeeded to quit 100% while I am still struggling.

Will keep posting my findings.
Adjusting the % of pg/vg is not quite what I meant by testing the ingredients. If it is 1 or the other they must be tested individually not together. It is is vg then putting vg into any % is going to cause problems same as pg. Its easy to test. Walmart sells glycerin in the pharmacy dept, all you have to do is thin with some distilled water so it wicks better and you can get pg at the Tracker Supply in the pet dept. Also pick up a couple of the syringes while you are there. Go home and in a small bottle put some of the vg in and 1 ml of dw or so(depends on amount of glycerin used usually 10% dw is good.) Put it in a tank and vape on it for a couple of hours. Granted it will not be exciting and probably not taste that good to you but see if you react to it. Same with pg(except do not thin--it is thin enough). Try 1 on 1 day, wait a few days and try the other. You can probably still have your smokes to use but until you get through with the testing, it should not be combined with trying to test ingredients for reactions.

The cartos/tanks you use can still be used later for ejuice as you have not ruined them with unwanted ingredients and they should still be fairly new, no cleaning necessary but it will take a while for any flavoring to come through. But don't get too ahead of yourself just yet. If there are zero reactions to 1 or the other of straight pg OR vg then next step is to add some nic. The nic should not cause a problem but since you are testing you may as well test it also. Small bottles of nic can be bought in your strength at any good online vendor and most of them offer a choice of pg, vg, or both. Buy 1 of each of pg and vg in your nic strength and test them. Same as above.

Give this a try. I know it is a pita and it takes a little time to do but in the end you will at least know if any of these ingredients are causing the problems. If none of these are it then the only thing left is the flavorings you use. If you made a change to the flavorings after your initial being able to vape successfully then my bet is on them.

Let us know how it goes. And be patient with yourself...It will be worth it in the end.

:)

Last edited:

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Adjusting the % of pg/vg is not quite what I meant by testing the ingredients. If it is 1 or the other they must be tested individually not together. It is is vg then putting vg into any % is going to cause problems same as pg. Its easy to test. Walmart sells glycerin in the pharmacy dept, all you have to do is thin with some distilled water so it wicks better and you can get pg at the Tracker Supply in the pet dept. Also pick up a couple of the syringes while you are there. Go home and in a small bottle put some of the vg in and 1 ml of dw or so(depends on amount of glycerin used usually 10% dw is good.) Put it in a tank and vape on it for a couple of hours. Granted it will not be exciting and probably not taste that good to you but see if you react to it. Same with pg(except do not thin--it is thin enough). Try 1 on 1 day, wait a few days and try the other. You can probably still have your smokes to use but until you get through with the testing, it should not be combined with trying to test ingredients for reactions.

The cartos/tanks you use can still be used later for ejuice as you have not ruined them with unwanted ingredients and they should still be fairly new, no cleaning necessary but it will take a while for any flavoring to come through. But don't get too ahead of yourself just yet. If there are zero reactions to 1 or the other of straight pg OR vg then next step is to add some nic. The nic should not cause a problem but since you are testing you may as well test it also. Small bottles of nic can be bought in your strength at any good online vendor and most of them offer a choice of pg, vg, or both. Buy 1 of each of pg and vg in your nic strength and test them. Same as above.

Give this a try. I know it is a pita and it takes a little time to do but in the end you will at least know if any of these ingredients are causing the problems. If none of these are it then the only thing left is the flavorings you use. If you made a change to the flavorings after your initial being able to vape successfully then my bet is on them.

Let us know how it goes. And be patient with yourself...It will be worth it in the end.

:)

Dear S&S
I did everything you mention. 2 days without any flavour or nic. The same story however with my mouth.

I do keep at home 1 liter of medical grade VG, half a liter of PG, not to worry about nic stored in the fridge: the usual one and salted some 300 ml altogeter of 20%.

Thanks anyway for your optimism. I might try it again with full 100% PG just for one day.

Flavours you mention: I have lots of them as concentrates. Also several brands of e juice. None of theese is more orless irtitating.

See, above, a friend Tailland is proposing smth DRASTIC I haven't done: try vaping on distilled water, probably 50% along with 50% VG.

That guy experienced similar problems I suppose. As he says that' why he's using a dripper. I think I'll try that too.

While Stoles1 suggests using the Swedish snus instead of 'em cigs. Will try that as well.
At home today and went through 6 ml, same story: the roof of my mouth is like burnt or swollen a bit. But, still can taste the juice. Reduced smokes down to 5 today though.

Smbdy recommended Aloe vera mouthwater so I bought one.

I am spending more and more on vaping but decided to find a way out.... Hopefully.

Thanks for your support.

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Swedish snus has been shown to have more harm reduction than ecigs, I believe most studies (and it's been around a while) are putting it at 98%. Most of Sweden's smokers have quit using it.

A) tobacco is not the devil, combustion is the devil.
B) Swedish snus has been processed so that even more of the "negative stuff" is gone. It's a pretty safe option. It's not for everyone but given your situation I'm surprised that you would not give it a try. Swedish snus is sold here under the name "American General Snus" but it is in fact, from Sweden.

Do some research before ruling things out of hand. Snus is about 98% better for you than the cigarettes currently being smoked because you can't vape. Etc.

Anna
Thanks again Stols1, you're persisting with snus - okay, will do, just need to find where to buy it. Didn't know it is not that harmful, I heard from people they were bleeding from their gums after using it. ..

Hey, do you have any opinion on what Tailland is proposing: 50% of distilled water with VG ? Water should't cause irritation I suppose... But still with 50% of VG I forsee the problems to stay...

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
The extraordinary problems you've described could be connected to both, quality and amount, of the vapor you inhale. So I'd naturally look for a solution that tackles both those aspects. Replacing VGPG with water is one thing (experiment to find the right amount), raising the nic amount to make you take fewer overall hits is the other.

Using a dripper makes sense because:
- not relying on capillary action to soak the cotton.
- not relying on tank vacuum to hold juice in the cotton.
- no delay between filling and experiencing the quality of what you just filled in.
- no loss of time/juice if you need to replace your wicking or have to clean the entire deck.
= instant-experience experimenting platform.

I myself use a special mix, though not with that much water. I start with VG80/PG20, then dilute with about 5% of distilled water. Although I have some (mild) allergic reactions to PG, I haven't fully thrown it out because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. The above mixing ratio is really smooth and causes me no problems worth mentioning. As of this moment, I'm still mixing in between 1.5 and 3% nic, simply because I vape a lot, but I'm also seriously considering raising the nic amount again to reduce my overall vapor intake. And finally, because my taste buds are still not operating on full capacity, I need between 25-50% more flavor% in my mixes than usually recommended by the manufacturer. So no, I can't really buy my juice off the shelf either :ß
Dearest Tailland,
I am still doubtful about the therapy you propose but would give it a try: the dripper you mention is not practical for my use cause giong to job I take my vape tool in the jacket pocket so it is important it is not leaking. But will think of smth...
- please help me with choosing a dripper: Goon 1.5 is cheap 10$, Digiflavour Solo Drop said to best for flavour, also Dead Rabbit?
- 50% distilled water 50% VG you said ?
- no nic ?
- how to prevent any short circuit with that amount if water around the coil?
- what coil ? Staggered clapton would do? Or should I use SS316 wire with temp control?

I am interested about your experience:
- how much do you vape if said 'a lot'
- which dripper ?
- can I try to vape 50% distilled on one of my tanks ? I am aftraid though any tank will produce spitting back which I experienced with all of them with higher PG juice, like 60-70PG***and water is even thinner...
- you suppose letting PG out of formula would help? Well, vaping 100% VG was smoother but the vapour was very intense and soon felt problems in my mouth
- what are your PG allergies?
- why do your taste buds operate on less capacity ?
- did you ever feel your mouth roof to burn ?

That's it for now. Thanks a lot!

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
- Get the cheapest dripper you can get your hands on. It's supposed to be a mere testing device, not your most-beloved go-to item. I got me some nameless dripper from CoilFather for like $2.99 as a cart-filler when ordering from Ali.
- If I were doing this test, I'd start my testing with 100VG, then add distilled water in 5% steps until you arrive at a point where you don't experience bad symptoms anymore. 50% would be my max limit, bc IIRC glycerin has a 1:1 capacity of binding water. However, if VG gives you problems and PG does not, then try to use as little VG as possible. This test is all about getting rid of your problems = finding at least 1 configuration from which you can start vaping safely.
- Using a reasonable amount of distilled water, bound to VG/PG, and only to be mixed right before being used (to avoid contamination), should keep your mix from becoming conductive. Your ohm-meter and mod will quickly tell you if your plan is working :)
- Leave out the nic first, add it later if you found a problem-free configuration from which to continue.
- The coil is irrelevant, really. Just test with low wattage.
- Too much PG (>20%) for me: itchiness attacks and mild swelling of the skin, mostly on my hands, lower arms.
- I don't know why my taste buds are crap when it comes to juice. They just are.
- The only time I remember experiencing a really negative effect on my mouth was when I fired up a coil far above its capabilities = mouthwash time. Other than that, no.

• Informative
Reactions: Amerglass

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most gas stations sell it. You have to ask for the "American general" brand and it's refrigerated so not every gas station has it.

To be honest in a lot of ways I prefer vaping, but since you are having trouble, it might be worth a shot. Be prepared for your first couple to taste... Well, horrible, is the best way to put it.

I am prone to bleeding gums and I don't get them with snus. I think you can type it locate snus and find a store locator, etc.

I don't know about the 50/50 thing. If VG is your issue, you might want to buy a SMALL amount of PEG400 (it's a PG variant but it's probably viscus enough to be vaped alone, honestly.) You could get some one shot (you just mix it's a pre made flavor, and vape) and see how you do with that. You could find out if straight PEG400 might work instead of VG at all.

I did a bunch of research before using it (and like, I would say, do your own for your own peace of mind) and it's pretty harmless stuff, really. I use it instead of PG, not VG but I would think straight PEG400 might be vapable. I got some to try from Amazon, a pretty small bottle. It was not expensive.

I'm sorry you are having the trials you are.... and I really thought Snus was gonna be horrible, but I really like it a lot for work. I don't have to take vape breaks, and I don't have to like , have anyone know I vape.

It's not the same as vaping, and you won't get the inhalation effect.... But to me, it's better than smoking and great for other times when I can't vape for a long period.

I really hope PEG400 might work for you if all else fails. You would have to DIY then, but Nicotine River sells PEG400 really cheaply.

Good luck.

Anna

Reactions: Amerglass

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
Most gas stations sell it. You have to ask for the "American general" brand and it's refrigerated so not every gas station has it.

To be honest in a lot of ways I prefer vaping, but since you are having trouble, it might be worth a shot. Be prepared for your first couple to taste... Well, horrible, is the best way to put it.

I am prone to bleeding gums and I don't get them with snus. I think you can type it locate snus and find a store locator, etc.

I don't know about the 50/50 thing. If VG is your issue, you might want to buy a SMALL amount of PEG400 (it's a PG variant but it's probably viscus enough to be vaped alone, honestly.) You could get some one shot (you just mix it's a pre made flavor, and vape) and see how you do with that. You could find out if straight PEG400 might work instead of VG at all.

I did a bunch of research before using it (and like, I would say, do your own for your own peace of mind) and it's pretty harmless stuff, really. I use it instead of PG, not VG but I would think straight PEG400 might be vapable. I got some to try from Amazon, a pretty small bottle. It was not expensive.

I'm sorry you are having the trials you are.... and I really thought Snus was gonna be horrible, but I really like it a lot for work. I don't have to take vape breaks, and I don't have to like , have anyone know I vape.

It's not the same as vaping, and you won't get the inhalation effect.... But to me, it's better than smoking and great for other times when I can't vape for a long period.

I really hope PEG400 might work for you if all else fails. You would have to DIY then, but Nicotine River sells PEG400 really cheaply.

Good luck.

Anna
PEG400 was already recommended, will give it a shot if I can get it in a local shop.

What think U about the distilled water instead of PG ?

• Creative

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
A mate of mine vapes only upto 3 ml per day on his Cleito 4 - that low usage due to same problems with his mouth.

My wife had the same sympthomes after just 2 ml of vape... M It looks like many people have this sensitivity to e-juice. But not everyobe for the sane reason. That's why it is so hard to find out what component is causing it.

Amerglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2018
- Get the cheapest dripper you can get your hands on. It's supposed to be a mere testing device, not your most-beloved go-to item. I got me some nameless dripper from CoilFather for like $2.99 as a cart-filler when ordering from Ali.
- If I were doing this test, I'd start my testing with 100VG, then add distilled water in 5% steps until you arrive at a point where you don't experience bad symptoms anymore. 50% would be my max limit, bc IIRC glycerin has a 1:1 capacity of binding water. However, if VG gives you problems and PG does not, then try to use as little VG as possible. This test is all about getting rid of your problems = finding at least 1 configuration from which you can start vaping safely.
- Using a reasonable amount of distilled water, bound to VG/PG, and only to be mixed right before being used (to avoid contamination), should keep your mix from becoming conductive. Your ohm-meter and mod will quickly tell you if your plan is working :)
- Leave out the nic first, add it later if you found a problem-free configuration from which to continue.
- The coil is irrelevant, really. Just test with low wattage.
- Too much PG (>20%) for me: itchiness attacks and mild swelling of the skin, mostly on my hands, lower arms.
- I don't know why my taste buds are crap when it comes to juice. They just are.
- The only time I remember experiencing a really negative effect on my mouth was when I fired up a coil far above its capabilities = mouthwash time. Other than that, no.
How much liquid do you intake daily - in average?
Avoiding high wattage means what? Bellow 50 watts? Cause any build would be sub ohm I suppose ?? With 0.5 Ohm coil I probably need 40 watts st least ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread