Dripbox 2 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimGus

Dec 29, 2016
i got my dripbox 2 today, feels solid and high quality, my device reads the battery wrong, when there is about 75% battery left the device shows its almost empty and is giving wrong volts, f.ex. at 80w it only puts out round 3v , works well with a fresh charged battery, ive read about this on other pages too. i downloaded the ''update software'' but i cant connect my device to it? can anyone help me out, i dont even think theres an update and this is a very big bug i think, are anyone of you having theese same problems?

nocigsnomore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Land of Oz
i got my dripbox 2 today, feels solid and high quality, my device reads the battery wrong, when there is about 75% battery left the device shows its almost empty and is giving wrong volts, f.ex. at 80w it only puts out round 3v , works well with a fresh charged battery, ive read about this on other pages too. i downloaded the ''update software'' but i cant connect my device to it? can anyone help me out, i dont even think theres an update and this is a very big bug i think, are anyone of you having theese same problems?

Sorry to read that you are one of the unlucky ones. Mine is fine. Kanger got to get their a** in gear and release a fix.

kangertech.freeforums.org • View topic - Dripbox 2 Battery life

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
In effect the meter on any mod isn't reading the battery voltage as an absolute, but as a graded scale between 4.2 volts and whatever the specific cutoff voltage is for that mod. So if the chip is (incorrectly) operating with a cutoff value of say 3.9 volts rather than a more normal value of 3.4 volts then those readings make sense.

@Painter_ try running the battery down until the mod shuts off, remove the battery and check the voltage in a charger or with a DVM. It may be at the elevated value, or it may keep going down to a proper value closer to 3.4 volts before actually cutting off.

It doesn't mean it's not faulty, but if it's later at least the life of the battery will be usable even if the meter doesn't function correctly.

Also hitting a 20 amp battery at 75-80 watts probably has a lot to do with seeming to hit weakly as the reviewer mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: nocigsnomore

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
@Painter_ try running the battery down until the mod shuts off, remove the battery and check the voltage in a charger or with a DVM. It may be at the elevated value, or it may keep going down to a proper value closer to 3.4 volts before actually cutting off.

It doesn't mean it's not faulty, but if it's later at least the life of the battery will be usable even if the meter doesn't function correctly.

Also hitting a 20 amp battery at 75-80 watts probably has a lot to do with seeming to hit weakly as the reviewer mentioned.

Cut out at 3.702 V. The battery is a brand new (second charge cycle) Samsung 25r. Running at 40 watts.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
That sucks, have you contacted KangerTech or the supplier?

I posted the results of 8 batteries I tested with the same results. The battery scaling is wrong in the firmware. Each of my tests the battery read ~3.7V

Based on charts I found the scaling should be something like this.

4.2 100%
4.1 94%
4 83%
3.9 72%
3.8 59%
3.7 50%
3.6 33%
3.5 15%
3.4 6%

Yoshiking

Sep 29, 2016
I posted the results of 8 batteries I tested with the same results. The battery scaling is wrong in the firmware. Each of my tests the battery read ~3.7V

Based on charts I found the scaling should be something like this.

4.2 100%
4.1 94%
4 83%
3.9 72%
3.8 59%
3.7 50%
3.6 33%
3.5 15%
3.4 6%
Half decent squonk mod ruined by a ....ty chip. I hope kangertech comes up with a fix

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Makes sense, but it sounded like he was expecting a $40 Chinese device to work the same as say a DNA chipped device. From what I've read, I don't think thats possible!! The DNA75 chip costs $44 to a reseller and $50 to an end user and thats just the chip!! This is basically a $40 throwaway device from what I've read, kinda like the original dripbox...

Yoshiking

Sep 29, 2016
Makes sense, but it sounded like he was expecting a $40 Chinese device to work the same as say a DNA chipped device. From what I've read, I don't think thats possible!! The DNA75 chip costs $44 to a reseller and $50 to an end user and thats just the chip!! This is basically a $40 throwaway device from what I've read, kinda like the original dripbox...
I don't see how I've implied such thing. DNA40 is my favorite board, but there are many other great boards and mods at reasonable price. Doesn't everybody own a pico or an evic?
If you think a $40 mod is a throwaway device because it does not use DNA chip, you really need to get your head out of your axx

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I can confirm - my battery gauge is VERY pessimistic. I wonder if it includes "droop" while firing?

In my mind Kanger does not have a very good track record with TC devices in general and the DB2 is no exception. Since I'm usually running multiple mods at the same time the battery thing is more of a annoyance than anything else however I doubt that I'd leave the house with the DB2 at anything but fully charged.

To bad really, with a Hadaly clone mounted and low energy build the DB2 was bubbling to top of my current bottom feeders. (sigh)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread