Dripper ohm range for a regulated mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misk

Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Manassas, VA, United States
Hey folks. I have been using a Patriot RDA with a mechanical mod for a little bit now and have been building dual micro coils in .2 - .4 ohm range. I just got my first regulated mod today. It's a custom built SX350 and I was wondering if I should build my coils differently for use with a regulated mod than I did for the unregulated mech.

Per my thinking since I can regulate the watts I should be able to build with a bit higher ohm coils and just use the power to dictate the vape. Any and comments and suggestions welcome.

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
You're on the right track.

The beauty of having a high wattage regulated device is that you can build at higher resistances, and still get a nice hot vape with lots of vapor. It also mean you are going to get a lot more surface area from your coil(s), and ramp up time is going to be cut down to next to nothing if you have a 50 watt + device.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey folks. I have been using a Patriot RDA with a mechanical mod for a little bit now and have been building dual micro coils in .2 - .4 ohm range. I just got my first regulated mod today. It's a custom built SX350 and I was wondering if I should build my coils differently for use with a regulated mod than I did for the unregulated mech.

Per my thinking since I can regulate the watts I should be able to build with a bit higher ohm coils and just use the power to dictate the vape. Any and comments and suggestions welcome.

Do you have the specs on the sx350?
Knowing the specs we can figure it out.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Yihiecigar SX350

Specs of YiHi SX350 50W Yihieicgar

No. Specs Minimum Typical Max
1 Output Power 5 Watts 50 Watts
2 Output Voltage 1.0 Volts 9.5 Volts
3 Output Current 25.0A
4 Atomizer Resistance 0.2 Ohms 2.0 Ohms 3.0 Ohms
5 Bypass (Direct Connection Mode) YES
6 Output Power (Bypass mode) 5 Watts (3 ohm) 80.0 Watts (0.2ohm)
7 Output Voltage (Bypass mode) Battery Voltage-0.09V
8 Output Current (Bypass mode) 1.33 A 25.0 A
9 Input Voltage (Battery required above 25A ) 3.2 Volts 3.7 Volts 4.5 Volts
10 Input Current 1.5 A 10.0 A 25.0A
11 Screen On Current 25 mA
12 Quiescent Current 1 mA
13 Power Down Current 350 uA
14 Efficiency 92%
15 Screen size 0.66" OLED
16 Fire Method Only One Regular Fire Button
17 Adjust Power Method Both Gravity Sensor & Up/Down Button adjust the Power
18 USB Charging for Battery Yes 1A
19 App controlled Bluetooth NO
20 Software Upgrade/GUI operate YES
21 Charging for Mobile Phone NO
22 Customize Logo YES (above 120pcs,we can customize the logo for you)
23 Protection: 1. Reverse Polarity Protection
2. Output Short Protection
3. Low Resistance Protection
3. Battery low voltage Protection
4. Temperature Protection

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
I don't know anything about this particular chip, but on any regulated device like this one you are going to have an enjoyable vape anywhere from .5 to 1.5 ohms if it delivers a true 50 watts at all resistances.

I would just experiment. Build a 1.5 ohm coil and vape a while. Then build a 1 ohm coil, then a .5, and dial it in that way. If you like the 1 ohm coil build something like .8 or 1.2 ohms. you will find your sweet spot, and in all reality it's subjective anyway.

Misk

Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Manassas, VA, United States
I don't know anything about this particular chip, but on any regulated device like this one you are going to have an enjoyable vape anywhere from .5 to 1.5 ohms if it delivers a true 50 watts at all resistances.

I would just experiment. Build a 1.5 ohm coil and vape a while. Then build a 1 ohm coil, then a .5, and dial it in that way. If you like the 1 ohm coil build something like .8 or 1.2 ohms. you will find your sweet spot, and in all reality it's subjective anyway.

Thank you for the reply and solid advice! I was thinking after playing around with Steam engine I would probably go with a .8 ohm coil to start off with and see how it works out.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Thank you for the reply and solid advice! I was thinking after playing around with Steam engine I would probably go with a .8 ohm coil to start off with and see how it works out.

It's not going to matter much what ohms you use within reason; that's the whole point of the chip;

with a mech you need to build at a particular resistance for the particular wire that you use; you need to change the resistance until you find the sweet spot.

with the chip allowing you to adjust the voltage, if one day you make a 1 ohm coil and it vapes good at 4 volts, then the next day you make a 2 ohm coil with the same wire, you'll just use 8 volts instead and end up at the same sweet spot but a lot more fog.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
If you have the full range of the sx350... it doesn't really matter at all with resistance. Just use 22-28awg wire..

I've tested this with my taj ji atomizer and IPV2. I built two quad coils...one has two coils in series- 0.5 Ohm. The other is a normal quad- 0.25 Ohm... same exact build outside of that. No difference in performance...but it's not that great of a difference in current.:/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread