Drop, Dead Rabbit heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
So I have to be honest, I love my Drop, but it’s just a little too warm if a vape for me, so I’m thinking about getting the Dead Rabbit...just wanted to see the opinion from those who have tried both, is the Rabbit also a warm vape? I mean I prefer a warm vape, but not warm to hot as the Drop has been. Also the spit back is annoying, how is that on the Bunny?

Reactions: stols001

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
Don't waste your money on a Dead Rabbit. What coils and what wattage are you running in your Drop? Use a bit more wicking in it to help with spit back. Also try moving the coils outward some so the coils aren't right under the drip tip.
I’m using a dual alien clapton, .25...my wick is terrible
I just ordered some cotton bacon from amazon so until that arrives I’m just making the best out of organic cotton balls, which are very difficult to get a decent strand without it falling apart. I was running at 70 watts and I dropped it down to 65 which has helped but it’s still quite hot

• Optimistic

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I just ordered some cotton bacon from amazon so until that arrives I’m just making the best out of organic cotton balls, which are very difficult to get a decent strand without it falling apart. I was running at 70 watts and I dropped it down to 65 which has helped but it’s still quite hot
I'm running dual rectangle wire coils in mine. .22ohms at 70 watts. It's a slightly warm vape with dense flavorful clouds. I also have the airflow wide open.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Have you tried actually unrolling the cotton ball and turning it into a strip? Cotton balls worked for years before we switched to pads. They do unroll....but you have to find the end. Might help until your new stuff comes in.
As for the drop, don't be too quick to give up on it . It's a very decent atty. I run 24ga SS round wire in mine. 2.5mm spaced. Works great .

• Useful

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
Have you tried actually unrolling the cotton ball and turning it into a strip? Cotton balls worked for years before we switched to pads. They do unroll....but you have to find the end. Might help until your new stuff comes in.
As for the drop, don't be too quick to give up on it . It's a very decent atty. I run 24ga SS round wire in mine. 2.5mm spaced. Works great .
Speaking of SS, I just ordered myself some wire, but I’m reading that it is unsafe at high wattages? Or is that just the dry burning part of it?

• Agree

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Speaking of SS, I just ordered myself some wire, but I’m reading that it is unsafe at high wattages? Or is that just the dry burning part of it?
Personally, I don't buy into those theories. I don't dry burn SS coils, or any other coils for that matter. I can recoil an atty almost as quickly as I can clean one....but I don't use fancy coils. I pulse lightly after installing to burn off any oils or impurities and that's it. Spaced coils rarely have hot spots so nothing to work out there, plus, to me the flavor is better and my wicks last longer with spaced.
But, as far as SS being toxic, I think it's been debunked. I just avoid heating ANY coil up to red hot.

• Agree

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
Personally, I don't buy into those theories. I don't dry burn SS coils, or any other coils for that matter. I can recoil an atty almost as quickly as I can clean one....but I don't use fancy coils. I pulse lightly after installing to burn off any oils or impurities and that's it. Spaced coils rarely have hot spots so nothing to work out there, plus, to me the flavor is better and my wicks last longer with spaced.
But, as far as SS being toxic, I think it's been debunked. I just avoid heating ANY coil up to red hot.
Yeah typically I like my vape around 70, 80, 85, depending on build, very rarely will I go beyond that. We’ll see where the SS taste good at, it’s an alien Clapton with Kanthal core so I’m sure it’s okay

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yeah typically I like my vape around 70, 80, 85, depending on build, very rarely will I go beyond that. We’ll see where the SS taste good at, it’s an alien Clapton with Kanthal core so I’m sure it’s okay
yep, I'm sure they'll be fine too. But be willing to experiment. Most of the YouTube crowd will have you believe that you need giant, fancy boutique coils to get a good vape. I agree that they're cool looking and I like making them... there's something therapeutic about chucking up some wire in the drill and making the wire when I'm bored. I enjoy the vape temporarily but I always go back to simple builds. Those fancy coils can be leading to your spitback issues as well. Try a pair of 24ga ss round wires or Dons rectangle wires. If you don't like it, you won't be out anything but a few cents and about 15 minutes. If you do like it, you'll save alot of time and your batteries will last longer. Not to mention, unless your making your own wire, you'll save a bunch of money too.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I found that when I shut down my airflow on the drop, it shuts the only holes supplying direct airflow to the coils first, and that can cause spitback and excessive heat. This is because parts of the coil are not getting much, if any, airflow increasing the heat. It is more of a wide open only RDA IMO. It would have worked much better if the bottom airflow holes closed first. Pretty much everyone I know that likes the drop uses it wide open, and the ones that want to shut down the airflow seem to be the only ones complaining. I don't think this is coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread