Drop Dead with Single Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
So I am thinking of trying to do a pretty large ID single coil on my Drop Dead. I’m thinking like a 5-6mm ID. While I’m a firm believer that you usually get the best performance from an rda by using it for what it’s designed for, I’m also a curious fellow. I know it just wouldn’t be good with a smaller ID single coil, but just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and would offer up a little input. I’ve done some looking and while I’ve found a little Drop Dead single coil discussion, I haven’t really found anything that addresses my question specifically.

Reactions: stols001

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Issues you may have would be lacking flavor due to air flow being so far away from coil even with huge coils, clearence between coil and top of top cap since coils sit so high in atty to begin with, and hopefully you are using a regulated mod due to huge coil size/mass......it also could turn out to be the most epic vape ever and your only gonna waste a foot of wire at worst so what the heck worth a shot....

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Issues you may have would be lacking flavor due to air flow being so far away from coil even with huge coils, clearence between coil and top of top cap since coils sit so high in atty to begin with, and hopefully you are using a regulated mod due to huge coil size/mass......it also could turn out to be the most epic vape ever and your only gonna waste a foot of wire at worst so what the heck worth a shot....
I gave it a shot. It’s not bad, but slightly less flavor than dual coils. It’s also still breaking in and it’s a ton of cotton. It’s a simple build that is about 6mm ID. It has lead me to a new thought though. So your limited on going any larger due the height. You’d end up melting the drip tip. If I could find somthing to wrap it with that was more of an oval shape, I might be onto something. Increase the diameter to get it closer to the airflow while keeping the height about the same. If it was wide enough to force the air underneath it right, I think the result would be good. I’m definitely playing at this point, but it’s fun to do sometimes. I am using a regulated device btw. It would also be tough to get a build under .3 ohms with this kind of diameter, even with some really thick 20 gauge, which isn’t really easy to work with. If I find the right thing to wrap the coil with, maybe I’ll post a pic.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Maybe try a Popsicle stick to wrap your coil, that way it stays flatish and is wide enough to be close to the air flow.
I like this idea. I would still like to find something more oval shaped to use, but it’s a solid idea. Maybe wrap and then stretch vertical a little for height.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So I am thinking of trying to do a pretty large ID single coil on my Drop Dead. I’m thinking like a 5-6mm ID. While I’m a firm believer that you usually get the best performance from an RDA by using it for what it’s designed for, I’m also a curious fellow. I know it just wouldn’t be good with a smaller ID single coil, but just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and would offer up a little input. I’ve done some looking and while I’ve found a little Drop Dead single coil discussion, I haven’t really found anything that addresses my question specifically.
Looking at the deck I don’t see why it wouldn’t work fine. Especially with a coil that large. The popsicle thing may even be unnecessary. The biggest issue is the coil won’t be very close to the vents. Sometimes this causes a problem, sometimes it doesn’t. It literally depends which way the wind is blowing, so to speak.
Nothing to do AFAIK but try it and see what happens. Luckily wire is cheap. The only thing I could see a potential problem with is if the coil gets too tall it could short out on the top of the tank or melt your drip tip.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
When I saw the title I sort of pictured this:

THE COIL! It...got me...urghhh!
upload_2019-2-6_13-10-45.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well you seem like a curious chap and anytime I see coil experiments like this, I got "I salute you."

Mainly because if I can set up an RTA/RDA the way it's designed without 15 shorts and 3 leaks, well, I am a happy camper. LOL.

I would meet you at dawn for a juice making challenge but not this. And maybe not a dawn either I hate dawn. And I have experience I get up at 5 am every single day of my life and my juice skills are not at their best,

Anna

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Well you seem like a curious chap and anytime I see coil experiments like this, I got "I salute you."

Mainly because if I can set up an RTA/RDA the way it's designed without 15 shorts and 3 leaks, well, I am a happy camper. LOL.

I would meet you at dawn for a juice making challenge but not this. And maybe not a dawn either I hate dawn. And I have experience I get up at 5 am every single day of my life and my juice skills are not at their best,

Anna
I am going to be making my own juice soon. I’ll let you know when I feel my skills are ready for a throw down. Only thing is, I vape tobacco flavors almost exclusively.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Looking at the deck I don’t see why it wouldn’t work fine. Especially with a coil that large. The popsicle thing may even be unnecessary. The biggest issue is the coil won’t be very close to the vents. Sometimes this causes a problem, sometimes it doesn’t. It literally depends which way the wind is blowing, so to speak.
Nothing to do AFAIK but try it and see what happens. Luckily wire is cheap. The only thing I could see a potential problem with is if the coil gets too tall it could short out on the top of the tank or melt your drip tip.
I’ve already ran into this issue. The coil needs to be wider and can’t be any taller. A popsicle stick or something of similar shape is necessary for what I’m wanting. I’ve already tried with a few things around the house. The coil does not come out all pretty like a standard coil master type wrap. It’s pretty wonky and hard to position. Many feet of wire might sacrifice for this effort.

Murphy2278

Sep 2, 2018
Well I did it. It’s not the prettiest coil, but it’s working. I have it on a squonker, but it’s easier to drip because there is so much cotton. I zip tied 3 nails together that were about 3mm each. The coil wants to twist and it’s hell getting it to straighten out. 22 gauge 316L at 5 wraps came out to .35 ohms. On a normal build at this ohms, I could run a single coil at 55-60 watts or so. This guy is wanting 70-80. It was a fun little project, but that’s all it was. I won’t be doing it again. At least I don’t think so. Not unless I can find a way to make it a nice looking build. I still didn’t get it as close to the air flow as I wanted. I usually line up the outer edge of the coil with the outer edge of the post.

Attachments

• EE5A56BE-3A3C-42FC-A664-723A85340E2F.jpeg
    EE5A56BE-3A3C-42FC-A664-723A85340E2F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • 009C888A-65D1-466C-A92D-20DE113FEBA1.jpeg
    009C888A-65D1-466C-A92D-20DE113FEBA1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 152
  • 4670998A-0D70-405C-A19C-5406ED98DFBE.jpeg
    4670998A-0D70-405C-A19C-5406ED98DFBE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 148

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I guess you win by default, heh, I vaped some HHV juice my husband has and my main thought was "This is gross" like, it reminded me of the "perfumes" I made out of dead daisies and violets and I steeped them, sometimes a while, they would FERMENT some of them. I think I wore them sometimes and the adults were nice enough to stay quiet about it although looking back, I go, "perhaps a quite talk would've been in order" but yeah it tasted like that smelled and well, childhood. You grow up, you know, then you are embarrassed for yourself. But tobaccos,, I got nothing. LOL. You will, however find MANY folks who love them including NETs.

From what I have read about NETs it's kinda like my perfumes only you use tobacco and you are grown up so you use funnels and even centrifuges if you want. You also vape it. LOL.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well I did it. It’s not the prettiest coil, but it’s working. I have it on a squonker, but it’s easier to drip because there is so much cotton. I zip tied 3 nails together that were about 3mm each. The coil wants to twist and it’s hell getting it to straighten out. 22 gauge 316L at 5 wraps came out to .35 ohms. On a normal build at this ohms, I could run a single coil at 55-60 watts or so. This guy is wanting 70-80. It was a fun little project, but that’s all it was. I won’t be doing it again. At least I don’t think so. Not unless I can find a way to make it a nice looking build. I still didn’t get it as close to the air flow as I wanted. I usually line up the outer edge of the coil with the outer edge of the post.
Well I applaud your determination. Now you/we know. :)

Morgan_Drury

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2018
It can be done. I sometimes rock a single coil in it. It'll end up flavorful all depending on how you build in respect to use of the airflow, chamber size as well as coil material and ramp up speed.

I've found Hive coils and Tsuka coils to work great in this case. Also I use a trinity glass cap in order to change this RDA's variables.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread