Drop off of vapor on 401/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Nightmare

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Wainwright, AB, Canada
I've been using my 402 now for a couple of weeks. I switch between it and my 510 depending on who's batteries need charging. The problem is that the 402 auto (sometimes used with the 401 manual bat also) just isn't giving the same amount of vapor as when the atty was new. I got another atty and it worked really good for a few days then it also started dropping in vapor level. Any hints as to why or is it just the way the M40x atties are?

Thanks

Urban Nightmare - Living the dream

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
The best advice I got was to wipe the connection end of the atty and the batt with a paper towel. I do it every time I recharge (takes seconds) and it improves the vapor and hit tremendously. I did just order new atty's though and received the ones with the high bridge. They are useless. I still can't break them in.

Urban Nightmare

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Wainwright, AB, Canada
How do you tell if they are high or low bridges? I've cleaned all the parts with paper towel. They where a bit dirty but not to bad. Also soaked on atty in vinegar and the other in vodka. Both work okay but just doesn't seem to produce the vapor they did when new.

I have noticed difference juices give different vapor amounts. VG give way more vapor then PG and a few of my PG juices produce almost no vapor. I may have to cut them with some VG juice just to get some vapor out of them.

ZorbaTheGreek

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
hmmm, I haven't had the dropping off power problem with my 401 at all. My original kit was from litecig. My new batteries are my first time trying autos and they're from truesmoker, and I haven't really ran one dead yet. As far as getting the most from the 401. Three words IMO Blue Foam Plug. works great. I use 100% VG, so couldn't really say how it works with PG. But mine vape consistent, every hit, down to the last drop.

As far as atomizers fading a little after a few days. I haven't really had the problem. But I clean mine probably at least twice a week. Either in hot crest mouthwash, water, or vinegar. Might want to give that a shot. I've got atties that are 4 months old and still working like new. Good luck, and happy vaping!

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
As far as getting the most from the

Very nice video.

I made a few blue foam plugs using the marine land rite-size "U" stuff, but it didn't taste right so I stopped using them after a day. I really liked how it wicked dry and how it delivers plenty of liquid to the atty, but the taste spooked me away.

So I'm wondering, what material is the cube of black foam that you're using and where did you get it? Details please.

Thnx

Urban Nightmare

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2010
Wainwright, AB, Canada
That foam he used looks a lot like the foam that came in my metal tool brief case. The insert is a bunch of square pieces of black foam that you tear out to make room for tools and other equipment.

I also purchased some rite-size foam and it works great in my 510. Your right about the taste but I found I had to wash it in soap and water first. And rinse really, really well to get all the soap out. Dry it with some paper towel and it was good to go. Just handling the stuff straight out of the package it seemed to have some sort of coating on it. Maybe to help catch fish crap and other stuff which really doesn't sound good.

I've tried cleaning my atties by blowing them out then using a piece of paper towel in side the cart (no inner cart) to wick out any remaining liquid. Then used some vinegar to kill anything that might be growing. Blew it out and did the wicking thing again. After an hour or so I changed the paper towel to make sure it wicked everything possible.

It vaps a little better now but not what it once was. I've got some new atties on the way so I'll see if they perform better. Also have a pass through so we'll see if a constant voltage helps.

Thanks for the video. I'm going to give this black foam another try and let you know how it works.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I got another atty and it worked really good for a few days then it also started dropping in vapor level. Any hints as to why or is it just the way the M40x atties are?

I don't have a lot of experience with this yet. 4 attys total, all m401 attys. The first two came with my original kit. More recently I bought two new ones. I can't really say what happen with the two originals (it was all too new).

The twp new ones really cranked for a few days, but they have fallen off a bit, they're working quite well, but noticeably off from day 0. Both of the new ones outperform both of my originals.

I've subjected one of the originals to the crest cleaning regime, the others are just blown out every other day or so. The crest cleaning did make an improvement.

What are other model attys like in this regard?

ZorbaTheGreek

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
I made a few blue foam plugs using the marine land rite-size "U" stuff, but it didn't taste right so I stopped using them after a day. I really liked how it wicked dry and how it delivers plenty of liquid to the atty, but the taste spooked me away.

So I'm wondering, what material is the cube of black foam that you're using and where did you get it? Details please.
Forgot to check back on the thread, sorry. I have no idea what it was. The pet store I went to wanted like 20$ for the marine land foam, and they had these little blocks for like 4$. I looked at the cell structure of the two and it looked the same. But no idea what brand it was. If I'm in the neighborhood I'll try and check it out again. Did you wash your foam good before using it? I even drop my plugs in boiling (but off the stove) water every couple of fills to keep it fresh.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Did you wash your foam good before using it? I even drop my plugs in boiling (but off the stove) water every couple of fills to keep it fresh.

Thnx for checking back. I had rinsed it in cool water, but that didn't work.

Since watching your video, I tried again to get rid of the blue foam smell and eventually found that boiling works. After rinsing and rinsing in warmer and warmer water, I finally put the stuff directly in boiling filtered water (on the stove) for a few minutes and that works for me. I've also been cleaning them with boiling water on occasion too.

The marine-land stuff at petsmart was pretty cheap.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
short dry burn.

Instead of vodka, I've used crest-pro to clean. I did help a bit, but certainly didn't restore the thing to 100%. The dry burn is the step that I haven't been doing. I'm worried I'll just burn them out so I haven't done that yet... its probably time to try that on one of them.

All of mine are still working, just not as well as they have in the past.

I'll just have to budget for a couple of new attys a month if the dry burn doesn't perk them up.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Oh yeah... back to 100%... flavor and vapor restored... now i have 4 very good functioning attys. A couple of good dry burns sure did the trick. I'm definitely gonna have to get a manual battery for this purpose, and while i'm at it, i can see if that improves the overall experience to boot.

What I did...

* soak attys in a small amount of crest-pro alcohol free mouthwash
* while soaking, boil a pot of filtered water
* pour some boiling water into pyrex holding the above
* stir and swish around a bit, wait, repeat, wait...
* reheat water remaining in the pot
* pour out cooling water water/mouthwash bath
* pour in super hot filtered water (stir,swish,repeat,wait)
* pour out/pour in hot water a couple of time and blew them out a couple of times
* dry attys with hair dryer on low for 10mins
* dry burned till glowing, repeat a couple of times (one of them didn't want to glow at first, but it finally did)
* wait till cool, then soak in boiling water again, and re-dried with hair dryer
* i did not dry burn again after that last re-drying, i figured no point putting a burnt taste back into the mix
* primed with a few drops and plugged a 'damp' cart on, waited

* finally, vaped with great vapor and flavor... like new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread