401 manual battery quick review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Well, my 401 manual batteries got here today from litecig. Quick shipping as always from Shawn.
For starters, it seems both manuals batteries I received were fully charged.
I also noticed that there is still a hole in the battery where it screws onto the atty. So I guess you still need to be careful when dripping. Although I occasionally drip, and have from day 1, I've never had problem. I never drip more then a few drops unless I just soaked the atty in Everclear to clean it. Then I drip about 4-5 drops to saturate the atty good. Like I said, never a problem. So to all those bashers who say, 'Oh, you can't drip with an auto because you'll ruin your battery". Well, they're just wrong. You just need to be a little more careful and not over do it.

Anyway, how does it perform? Well, I wish I could say that the manual crushes the auto performance wise, but in reality, it is about the same.
Being a Dragon user from day 1, it feels a bit weird having to hold it differently so I can press the button. Not a big deal at all though. The main difference I notice right away, is that there is no need to take a pre hit.
Also a big advantage is that they are not susceptible to sound activation. So this is way to go if driving in a convertible, or going to concert, etc...

So that's about it. Any questions, ask away.

Edit - Added pictures

manualbattyatangle.jpg

manualbattynocart.jpg

manualled.jpg

Last edited:

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Nice overview.

On a sidenote, why not dip instead of drip on the 401? The atomizer is exposed right? I hear that's the way to go on these. Can't say I have one to try for myself though.
For me it's just easier to drip on those occasions I do it. Mainly to test flavors when I'm mixing, and sometimes, well....just because. :) But to dip you need a puddle of juice somewhere and I can't be bothered with that. For the most part, I use carts and top off several time a day. Pretty simple. But, to each their own.

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
My EM4s should be with me at some time today (according to Parcelforce tracking they've left the depot).

Mind if I add my findings to this thread?

Please do. I'm looking forward to hearing what the battery life is on the EM4.
Because if it's really 280mAh, it should last a lot longer, then any of us that use a 401 are used to.

Had to put the manual I was using on the charger earlier tonight. Battery life seems about the same as the auto's.

Try a contact lens case

No no no, not more crap to carry around. Don't need it, don't want it, no room for it! :D

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to say. As I mentioned, the performance of the manual is about the same as the auto, BUT, it is more consistent. There is rarely weak hits unless the cart is low. Also, it works just as well right up until the battery needs charging. Maybe a small drop in performance, but not much.
Not like the auto's. I can always tell when my auto 401's need a charge, even before they start blinking.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
Right, well first off, the build quality is on par with EVOs & Pilots & superior to Central Trade (their M401 passthrough at least) & TECC 510s. It's a nicely balanced e-cig to hold. The switch is nice too, comfortable to hold between thumb & forefinger for operation & not too recessed or proud of the battery body (something I've had a bit of an issue with on the TECC/TW manual 510s I have, they were just that little bit poky out for my liking)

They came fully charged (I put one on straight away with a fresh cart & stuck the other 4 on charge, they all green lit within a minute). Obviously, I can't comment on the duration of the charge holding yet, but I've been using it since 11 this morning (UK time) & it's now 13:05. The amount I vape, I would have had to switch standard 510 manual batteries by now (usually around 1.5 hours) & been thinking about changing my M402 autos soon (usually 2). If this is truly a 280mAh battery, it's the same capacity as the Mega Titan (which I can usually get around 3 hours out of), lets hope it lasts as long. Regular autos usually give me about 3 hours also.

I'm using one with an EVO atty. The first thing I noticed is how easy the draw is (compared to EVO & Pilot autos & Titan 510 manuals). It's unbelievable, not quite sucking air through a straw, but close. Now don't let this description fool you, the hit was fantastic! Nice & consistent too.

We also got an EM atty to see what they were like. Well all I can say is that coupled with the EM4 battery, it kicks like a 510 (but without the flavour loss).

Over all (so far) certainly on par with the best M401s that I have encountered.

I'll let you know how long it lasts later.

Last edited:

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Obviously you are happy with how you are doing things, I have found though that by eliminating the juice bottles I carry with me for dipping and replacing it with the contact lens case filled with juices I actually gained room because I no longer carry the bottles with me, I can carry 2 small contact lens cases and have 4 different juices handy. If you are using a 401 model, dipping is far easier, and quicker than dripping. To each his own though and if your system works for you then more power to you.

I have a Dragon and I thought about getting a manual battery but one of the great things about the Dragon is that I don't have to hit a button to get the vapor going, it performs much more like a real tobacco cigarette, and to me that was and still is a big point in it's favor over the 510 with their manual batteries. When I initially made my purchase I went with the m401 style for that reason along with the battery life between charges being the other. I can see the benefit of a manual battery for those that are out and about in noisy places though, long overdue I imagine. Good luck with it.

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Well I am a retired and don't go out and about in public unless I have to anymore, original suits my needs perfectly. I'm kind of the keep to myself type although you wouldn't know it by talking to me on here, lol! I stay in my recliner and mindlessly vape my days and night away in happy bliss free from the distractions of the outside world and dealing with the idiots in traffic. These things have actually helped me there too, now that I don't smoke tobacco I don't need to go buy my tobacco each week instead I just go to my mailbox when I have an order coming in. E-Cigs: Freedom for shut ins everywhere!

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
Well I am a retired and don't go out and about in public unless I have to anymore, original suits my needs perfectly. I'm kind of the keep to myself type although you wouldn't know it by talking to me on here, lol! I stay in my recliner and mindlessly vape my days and night away in happy bliss free from the distractions of the outside world and dealing with the idiots in traffic.
Oh how I wish I could do that.

More review: I've so far gotten an average of 2.5 - 3 hours out of them, so they are comparable with the much larger, bulkier & more expensive Titan Mega or a standard EVO M401. Still nowhere near a SD but nobody was expecting that.

One thing I have noticed though, these batteries are thirsty little buggers. I used nearly twice as many carts tonight as I usually do on a friday (although some of this might be down to me trying to push my new batts hard & trying to single handedly emulate a Sisters of Mercy gig)

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
I used nearly twice as many carts tonight as I usually do on a friday (although some of this might be down to me trying to push my new batts hard & trying to single handedly emulate a Sisters of Mercy gig)

Lol. And now you can take your M401 to a Sisters of Mercy gig and not have it go off from the noise.

stevo_tdo

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2009
Missouri
Well I got my Em4's about a half hour after I posted. So far So good. They came from eastmall, all charged and ready to go. I'm still on my first battery but I haven't vaped heavy today. Yes Sludge, these are thirsty little things, understandably more than the automatic. As far as performance wise, I'm liking them much more than the 510 I recently got. It actually drains the cart and is very consistent. The main reason I don't like my 510's is because of those two reasons. Take into account though that I've always like the m401 auto's but am happy now that I have the manual batt's.

All in all, I would say a good purchase and watch out 510's. This might take you down a peg.

Although now all i want is a larger capacity cart for the m40x series.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
. As far as performance wise, I'm liking them much more than the 510 I recently got. It actually drains the cart and is very consistent. The main reason I don't like my 510's is because of those two reasons. Take into account though that I've always like the m401 auto's but am happy now that I have the manual batt's.

All in all, I would say a good purchase and watch out 510's. This might take you down a peg.

Although now all i want is a larger capacity cart for the m40x series.
I agree completely, my main problem with my 510 was I was forever topping it off (tried the straw mod once & it does work, but I couldn't be hassles with sticking one in all my carts) & the vapour production did go up & down dependant on how full the cart was. The EM4 seems (so far) to give a very consistant vape until the cart is dry.

I'm not overly bothered with the capacity of the carts, I just make sure I have a reasonable supply of full ones on me if I'm going to be away from home. You wouldn't be able to increase the capacity that much, without increasing the size of the cart / mouthpiece anyway & I think that would spoil the look of the M40x series. (another fault with the 510 IMHO is the long atty / short cart combination. Not as aesthetically pleasing as a 401. Don't get me wrong I like my Titan (although I haven't picked it up since Friday morning) & it's served me well for the reasons I bought it (manual battery over auto batttery issues), but I can't help feeling it's going to be made redundant in the not to distant future)

Last edited:

Ez Duzit

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Southern California
Ok, so after a few days of using this, I have to update my initial review.

You really have lot more control with a manual then I initially realized. Don't get me wrong, I love my auto Dragon, and I pull a ton of vapor out of it, usually exhaling thick billowy clouds. But a manual unit simply goes past the performance limitations of an auto. With the new manual 401, I find myself getting even more vapor, with thicker clouds, and a stronger throat hit.
The air flow, or draw if you prefer, between the auto and the manual, is very close. Hard to tell which is better.

As far as the performance difference, it's in the way you can take a draw.
If I want a big hit using my auto, I take a small pre-hit, then a long, slow, easy puff. I can sometimes hit the 7 second cutoff, but I get a nice big hit. If the batteries are beginning to get low, I won't get as big a hit.
But with the manual batteries, I can take a 3-4 second hit, quick inhale, then another good hit right behind it, (like it's one big puff). No more worries about the cutoff. This gives max vapor every single time, right up until the battery needs recharging.
But because this puts more stress on the batteries, they don't seem to last as long as my auto's between charges. I do know the auto batteries that came with my Dragon didn't seem to reach their full potential, until after 4-5 days of use. But even if the manuals do need charging a bit more often, I can live with that. The other thing I noticed, is that I am going through more liquid. With bigger hits comes a bigger juice bill.:D
Also, I'm finding the carts are taking more drops when I top off. I was usually able to add 6-7 drops, and sometimes 8 when using an auto battery. (This is with the PTB mod, using an accordion fold, which I find works best for me). Anyway, when using a manual battery, I can almost always add 8 drops, and sometimes 9 or 10. That's only a few drops shy of a full cart, so I think it's pretty impressive.

The other thing about the 401's that is important, is you get good flavor from your juice. You will often hear people talking about the awesome throat hit and vapor from the 510, but then they go on to say that the flavor isn't that good.
Not so with the 401. It has good flavor, and with the new manual batteries giving it increased vapor production, it can hold it's own against the 510, and maybe even surpass it.
Once the PCC finally comes out, the 401 will be the new popular kid on the block. Especially since the 401 pcc will hold 2 batteries, where the 510 PCC only holds 1.
The 510 better be looking over it's shoulder.

Another interesting unit that 401 users might want to check out is the sidesho. It's based on the 401, and is the exact same size, but supposedly improves on the design in key areas, and it comes with a pcc.
There is also a manual version which might be out later this week. Although I love my 401, I'm thinking about getting one of these when the manual version comes out.
Bandit wrote a review on his experience with the sidesho if you want to read it. Bandits sidesho review

You can look at here.
The sidesho

I have no affiliation with any e-cig distributor. My only interests are to give vapers the most options. No one model is the best for everyone. Do your research, and then make an informed decision, based on what you want. Happy vaping.:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread