Dropping a mod for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
We all know how it is, a mod fresh out of the box nice and shiny with no scratches or scuffs, finally receiving the long awaited mail. Then you make the first build on a new tank or rda, a clapton or some sort of fancy coil. After selecting the perfect juice to your liking you take a puff and then another and all seems just perfect. We worked hard for this vape money and carefully chose this particular setup. Now our vaping arsenal seems complete with the feeling of no need for anything else (for the moment).

Then comes that faithful day that this mod is held the wrong way or placed in a non proper manner. Even though we are very careful and never make mistakes, some how this new mod finds its way in the air dropping through the air and gravity takes it slamming to the closest element beneath probably the ground. Now this mod lost it's innocence completely and our view on our vape collection changes.

One may think, "Well what's the big deal, its just a little scuff and it will happen eventually"? Well not all mods can fall just once. Stabwood mods will be ruined and it's beauty taken from chips created by a fall because it's wood. If one spends a big bill or two and has that happen they would understand this feeling.

My first stabwood mod fell while I was taking a beautiful picture of it. I'm trying my best to use the mod in the same mindset I had before it fell but it's not easy. I try to remind myself that I have other mods and that the goal I had when I started vaping was to quit smoking and then one mod (and a backup) was good enough and that helps.

I'd love to hear other people's feedback about this.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You ever owned a new car? Same problem. This will continue to happen in life in various ways. Some people become inured, some people wind up putting plastic covers on all their furniture. I split the difference and only buy used cars. I’m also a cheap :censored: though.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
This is the picture I took when the mod fell. I thought I found the perfect place, a piece of wood jutting out. Little did I know that the place it was connected to was shaky. I'm usually very careful with my property. Oh well, I'll get over it. That's life :censored: happens.

Attachments

• 20190625_195658.jpg
    20190625_195658.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is the picture I took when the mod fell. I thought I found the perfect place, a piece of wood jutting out. Little did I know that the place it was connected to was shaky. I'm usually very careful with my property. Oh well, I'll get over it. That's life s*** happens.
Dude, that’s burl. Of course it’s going to break. Burl has wack grain and it’s incredibly dense. The whole point of stab wood is the plastic penetrates the wood and turns the whole thing into a composite where the plastic holds the fibers together and the fibers hold the plastic together. Burl is too tight to absorb the plastic and it’s grain is too wonky to provide support for itself.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
This is the picture I took when the mod fell. I thought I found the perfect place, a piece of wood jutting out. Little did I know that the place it was connected to was shaky. I'm usually very careful with my property. Oh well, I'll get over it. That's life :censored: happens.
I feel the pain, and with Stanwood, a chip or ding is a little different than, say, the chip on the corner of my RX2, a greatod for under 30$, btw, esp with Arctic fox firmware, but to me, on it, it's a battle scar. Stanwood, well, that's a different ball of wax. So, the plank it's on fell? What is the piece that looks like it's behind the mod, a little lower and left of the button? Nice looking mod, btw, hope she's alright.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
A few years ago, I had an eGo Twist bite the dust on a 3 foot drop into carpet. :(
Yeah, the smallest bump with some tiny soldering points is all it takes sometimes. I'm more glad the topside didn't break something else... That thing is a pig...

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I understand the feeling. Even if no one else can easily notice the damage, YOU know it's there.

In general, I try to buy bulletproof mods and tanks. I'm rough on things and my fiance is a clutz.

I'm using a polished silver Provari and a Kabuki tank with the stainless steel insert (no glass).

She's using a Kroma-a mod with a Zenith tank and it's damned near indestructible as well.

barkfunklerbunk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2014
Planet Earth
When I first dropped my immaculate super T workhorse, I was devastated that it was no longer perfect. It wasn't exactly cheap, but I got over it and since then I dropped it probably a couple dozen or more times, several times in puddles. It still works perfectly like day 1. If I were to drop and put a dent in my ELAs, I'd probably cry.. but it would still function perfectly. I can't imagine dropping a stabwood.. iirc they are very expensive. I'd be devastated for quite a while.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I drop things a lot. My price limit for mods is $30 now. Some really good mods to be had for under $30.
    Sorta :offtopic:

When I lived in Southern Maryland, one would be hard pressed to find any local waterman that wore a pair of sunglasses that cost more than 5 or 6 bucks..

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    The last time I dropped a mod was on my driveway, the mod itself (a Pico) had a silicone sleeve on it, so not a scratch. The glass tank didn't even break, even though it was a bubble tank. The only things that broke were the tip (my favorite) and my heart.. Somebody here True ly fixed up my heart though..

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @EIHYPI, could you please post a picture of the damage (character)?

As I'm thinking that you may be able to use Micro-Mesh products and some wet & dry or high grade sandpaper to clean things up a little.

Use sandpaper and or wet & dry first, then use the Micro-Mesh and slowly go up through the grades to achieve a smooth and shiny finish.

Then you can use Howard's Cutting Board Oil and Butcher Block Conditioner (both are available in 2FL. OZ / 59ml sample sized bottles) to feed the Stabwood and waterproof it, this will give you a satin shine finish.

If you want to get a really shiny finish, Renaissance Wax or Conservators Wax can supposedly be used. But it doesn't seem to work for me with my SXmini SL Class, the mirror finish eludes me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Dropped one of my Pico 75W's the other day and the bottom cover loosened a little from battery inertia and weight when it hit on a corner of the case. I took it apart to check the insides and all I really had to do was tighten the two bottom screws. The weight of the SS EHPro Kayfun Lite V2 probably made it stress enough to make the battery push the cover out a bit. The center section of the mod is made of a bakelite type material and screws are threaded into that.

Picos are great little mods that could benefit from a slide on protective cover.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread