dumb newbe question about a 5v mod box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I've been trying to look for diagrams of how to wire one up suited for the dummy I am. I haven't touched anything from Radio Shack since I was about 10 years old. That was 32 years ago so I hardly know what I am looking at even if I did find a techno spec.

Supplies I have: battery box (with a master on/off switch), 5v regulator (3pin), 2 14500 batteries, an On/Off button (2 prong), LED/holder, and a few different Ohm resistors, and a 510 battery connector.

How in the name of Odin do I hook the stuff together *lol*.

I have a potentiometer and a 100uf capacitor, but don't want to mess with the VV till I get the basics down.

I've looked on youtube, and here, and googled but when I do find something it is either missing the pot or way beyond my comprehension.

Duh, yeah I guess obviously I have solder flux and an iron.... And I bought a cheap multimeter just to be able to check things out.

I'd be much obliged if anyone can point me in the direction of a "modding for a special needs kindergartener" edition of the plans.:blink:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I've been trying to look for diagrams of how to wire one up suited for the dummy I am. I haven't touched anything from Radio Shack since I was about 10 years old. That was 32 years ago so I hardly know what I am looking at even if I did find a techno spec.

Supplies I have: battery box (with a master on/off switch), 5v regulator (3pin), 2 14500 batteries, an On/Off button (2 prong), LED/holder, and a few different Ohm resistors, and a 510 battery connector.

How in the name of Odin do I hook the stuff together *lol*.

I have a potentiometer and a 100uf capacitor, but don't want to mess with the VV till I get the basics down.

I've looked on youtube, and here, and googled but when I do find something it is either missing the pot or way beyond my comprehension.
You didn't list what "5v regulator (3pin)" you have, if its a 78XX from RS, dump it.

You don't need any resistors (except on one leg of the LED if you use one), pots or caps for a basic 5V box. I would suggest a heat sink.

TO-220 Heat Sink - RadioShack.com

Hopefully you got a momentary switch to use as your fire button.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I don't think he has the volatage regulator on this. Also tried Dena's how to pdf file which is a bit closer to what I am doing.

Just want to try to replace the VV pot with the 5v regulator..... I'm trying to draw something up in paint now (for the wiring) to see if anyone has any ideas on how bad it will blow up.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Momentary switch = check.

The 14500s are 990 mAh 4.2v/2.75 full and empty. Wouldnt think the heat would be a problem coming off the 5v regulator, maybe at 12v. But like I said I have forgotten enough to make me dangerous.

Err forgot to draw wires to the master on/off switch.... but hopefully will get an idea of the layout I am thinking of using.

no reg.jpg

Last edited:

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Cool, like I said I haven't touched electronic stuff in decades. Set some computer parts in front of me and an empty case I'll have at it, or installing a ceiling fan but diodes, LEDS, and solder I'm a drooling idiot.

Between a similar single battery plan I saw here and what my father sent me (sent the drawing and he drew out another circuit drawing) I should be set. If I all of a sudden go Elvis it means I either had the batteries blow up in my face or blow up in my hands.

Thanks again every body.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
You guys have been some good help and so has my dad... Always good to find an excuse to talk to my father (as long as we don't talk politics) :). Like I said I haven't touched a soldering iron or electronic components in ages. I have the case drilled and will use rechargeable AA batteries before firing it up with the 14500s in it (safety first).

I took a series of pics and sent them off to my dad (wonder where I get my insomnia from). If no one minds would like to get some of your opinions on it. Might clean up the pics a bit as I am working on the mod and make a tutorial out of it so it will help out the next person as dumb as I am.

pic 2 - Copy.jpg pic 3 wiring - Copy.jpg pic 4.1 - Copy.jpg pic 4.2 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• pic 4.3 - Copy.jpg
    pic 4.3 - Copy.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Got it put together, talking with my dad I figured out how to set the batteries and all..... putting the 2 14500s in there made me think the atty was gonna melt.... glowed red hot and could swear I saw smoke coming from where the epoxy was around the atty connector.

Gonna save the 14500s for when I have the parts for a VV control.

Had to rig up what I had into something very similar to the puck (using the 4 AA rechargeable I have for my camera).

*lol* actually screwing up was a good learning experience. Next time around I'll know what I am doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread