EU Dutch government scraps funding of anti-tobacco programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Thanks to Carl Phillips of tobacco Harm Reduction for this.

Press Review Tuesday 14 June 2011 | Radio Netherlands Worldwide

Health minister scraps anti-smoking lobby subsidy
Meanwhile, the government has decided to cut the 2.7 million euro subsidy to the Dutch anti-smoking lobby Stivoro as of 2013 writes Trouw. In addition, most of the support for anti-smoking campaigns will be scrapped in 2012. Health Minister Edith Schippers thinks the campaigns are not effective and says she is more concerned with the government’s reputation as a nanny state.
However, the International tobacco Policy Evaluation Project (ITC) believes Stivoro is an essential source of objective information on smoking and tobacco addiction. The ITC is investigating whether the Netherlands is meeting its obligations after the country signed a World Health Organisation convention in 2005, in which countries promised to discourage smoking.
The organisation accuses the minister of being too eager to please the tobacco lobby. The government has declined to raise taxes on cigarettes, reduce the number of sales points or discourage smoking by printing photos of the effects of smoking on cigarette packets. In fact, the first thing this minister did when the current government came into power was to repeal smoking restrictions in small pubs. Rather strange for a health minister, don’t you think?
:laugh:

Ande

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Korea
tell the WHO to go suck a fat one

You mean like an eGo? Or a roughstack mod? ;-)

I haven't been to the Netherlands for quite a few years, probably 7 or 8. But it seems to be a nation with some pioneering attitudes regarding harm reduction, as well as...erm...freedom. (Needle exchanges and even some state sponsored ...... have both happened there)

Ande

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just move to Amsterdam, there's plenty to smoke there....... Did I ever mention how I was lost for three or four hours trying to find my hotel.
I had a similar experience.

I even had a map in hand, and knew the address of the hotel.
And none of that was even the slightest bit helpful.
:lol:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I had a similar experience.

I even had a map in hand, and knew the address of the hotel.
And none of that was even the slightest bit helpful.

I think all roads in Amsterdam lead to the red light district or that was my experience since no matter where I went, I seemed to re-find it. That wasn't too bad until after dark when that area gets a little scary.

Ditto on the map. I eventually decided to walk up hill until I hit the main street that my hotel was close to, then orient based on the crossroads off that main street. I had about a half mile hike at that point, but got back safe and sound after a forever memorable day.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
To put this in perspective and bring Amsterdam into perspective-

No More xxx For You, Says Holland: New Rules Will Effectively Ban Smoking xxx For Tourists in Dutch Coffeeshops After 2012

How long does residency take?

thats actually really understandable when you think about it. To people who already live there, it's not as big of a deal, since the stuff has always been legal, so they're mature and responsible about using it. now all the stupid stoners from america who come over for a week just to get high on the other hand, well, they tend to be the ones who cause trouble because they're the ones acting like idiots and making a huge ruckus. Just like all the dumb 18-20 year old college kids (which for the record, I fall in the age group of) who go to mexico just so they can drink under 21.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
thats actually really understandable when you think about it. To people who already live there, it's not as big of a deal, since the stuff has always been legal, so they're mature and responsible about using it. now all the stupid stoners from america who come over for a week just to get high on the other hand, well, they tend to be the ones who cause trouble because they're the ones acting like idiots and making a huge ruckus. Just like all the dumb 18-20 year old college kids (which for the record, I fall in the age group of) who go to mexico just so they can drink under 21.
I have never heard of anyone making a ruckus when under the influence of the particular drug in question.
I would have thought Dutch "coffeeshops" and ruckuses were mutually exclusive.

Lydia

ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
The Netherlands
I live in Amsterdam and must laugh. so I am a Dutchmen and my mind plays with the following. I am just a bit naughty, so laugh with me about the Dutchmen, but it’s not all foolish….

De Dutch pensionsystem is the best in the whole world, but expensive…. The pensionfunds got into trouble as a result of the bankcrisis. So the age for retirement has been raised from 65 to 66 and now to 67 years for future years after 2020/2025. You understand, that’s a pain for the people in the Netherlands. With thanks to the American banks for the bankcrisis, it has played not all, but a big role.

A recent Dutch study has figured out that not-smoking is costing society a lot of money. So it goes against the believes in the rest of the world that smoking is costing society money. This believe in the rest of the world is foolish and the Dutch government knows it. Think well; not-smoking is costing the Netherlands a lot of money; people get older and especially old people are costing a lot of money; pension money and the costs of care (old people use a lot more care than young people). If everyone stops smoking the mean age of going death raises with a few years (say 33% of the adults smokes, if the 33% dies 8 years later because of stopping with smoking, the total mean years of living raise with 2-3 years….very expensive years for society, so double the costs….. ) Question; are you prepared to retire 5 years later in your life because your naburs etc. stop smoking? And are you still bothered with the smelling of cigarettes? Think further, are you willing to take care of your very old naburs and family when you already have to work to your 72 th birthday in the future, because the costs of professional care will become to high for most people? Answer; no, ofcourse not… I will not admit this openly (I don’t have to, because the Dutch government is admitting it openly, so not protesting is enough), but secretly I have made up my mind very soon…. and with thanks to the American banks for the bankcrisis and the knowledge it has brought to the Netherlands, it has played not all, but a big role.

So, stop listening to the bull.... of second hand smoke, stop believing people who scream that smokers are costing society al lot of money and also stop being anxious of the EU. The EU? Yes, the EU. The way it goes with Greece and some other European countries who are in almost the same position as Greece, you can figure out the EU has had it’s best years…..;the and of an era. Or are you prepared to retire when you are 80-85 years because of these European countries like Greece and organisations like the WHO? Ofcourse, also here; thanks to the American banks for the bankcrisis and the knowledge it has brought to the Netherlands, it has played not all, but a big role.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Aw Lydia, you're exposing the big lie and the big truth. I cringe every time I hear someone say they don't want to pay for what smokers are costing them when the smoker is actually subsidizing all those "healthy" individuals who take pensions longer and end up costing more, health-wise, for their care. Plus when their money runs out and they need to be put under managed care, who picks up that bill?

As for the American banks, I can't comment. Was America the only country with lax lending rules in the middle of a real estate bubble? I don't know, I just saw the bubble and knew it was about to burst. I warned my nephew who refused to listen and sold the last of my rental properties before the market crashed- to the real estate agency that managed it (he's still not happy about his decision.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
If it is any consolation, I heard on the news today that some legislators are thinking of saving our Medicare system by raising the age at which you join the program from 65 to 67. In the US, Medicare pays for 80% of health care costs (except for prescriptions) for medical treatments for citizerns over age 65. Already, the age at which you can collect a full Social Security pension is at 66 for folks in my age bracket, and is slated to raise as high as age 70 for folks in younger age brackets.

Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid, and Defense spending account for 63% of the US budget, with costs for the first two on the rise. Ironically, these first two programs were supposed to be self-supporting, but our government in its infinite wisdom decided to spend the money that had been set aside on other things. Of the revenue currently taken by the government, Social Security & Medicare taxes represent 40%, with personal income taxes accounting for an additional 42%. The 2010 budget called for spending $1.3 billion more than the expected tax revenues.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yes Elaine, that is the state of the world and they, at the same time, want to keep people living longer where much of the cost is born by society. A curious contradiction. What I wonder about is the desire of employers to continue to employee these older workers, who are normally at the upper levels of their pay grades.

I had some difficulty getting permanently "laid off" when my company was going through a reduction in force, but I was only 55 at the time. I'm sure at sixty I wouldn't even have had to work at it.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
My husband and I were discussing the fact that if he were not a retired Federal employee, I would not have been able to retire last year because I would not have been able to afford health insurance. Some private companies do not offer any medical benefits at all to retirees, and those that do tend to cover only a portion of what they did when the retired employee was working.

Older workers who lose their jobs before age 65 are caught in a real bind when it comes to medical expenses. COBRA sounds like a great idea because it makes coverage available for 18 months after you stop working. However, what most folks don't realize is that the employer stops paying their share of the insurance premiums. It can be a real shocker to learn that your health insurance premiums are jumping up to 2 to 4 times what you were paying at the same time that your monthly income has plummeted because you lost your job.

I'm not in the above boat because I retired and can collect a monthly Social Security check and a small pension check. What I found to be a real shocker was that when I turned 65 and was automatically enrolled into Medicare, my husband's family health insurance premium stayed the same. However, the coverage for me turned into a "Medigap" policy. Medicare pays 80% and my husband's health insurance plan picks up the other 20%. So the insurance company continues to collect the same premium but their share of my medical expenses has been cut by 75%. Interesting, because I now have to pay an additional monthly charge for Medicare premiums (deducted from my Social Security check), despite having paid into the Medicare system via payroll deductions ever since it was first instituted.

Luckily, we currently live in a large metropolitan area. I understand that in many rural areas, there are no doctors who will accept Medicare patients. What good does it do to be enrolled in a plan that theoretically pays 80% of your medical expenses when you can't find anyone willing to provide you with medical treatment?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread