E cig works fine for about 5 minutes then goes burnt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minky 33

May 11, 2020
I'm having trouble with my Jem Pen E cig - hopefully someone can help me.

I take the coil out clean the tank and battery area, put it back in with liquid + prime the coil. for about 5 minutes it tastes fine and is vaping as normal. then a really horrible burnt taste comes in which is unbearable to smoke and making my throat hurt.

I take the coil out and clean again, put more liquid. the same thing happens! it tastes absolutely fine again and then gets burnt.
any idea why this is happening ? the device gets quite hot too...
i don't think the coil is the issue because why does it taste fine for a few mins?
I've ordered new coils so going to try that but worried its the device. i've only had it for 2 weeks and changed the coil about 5 days ago.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm having trouble with my Jem Pen E cig - hopefully someone can help me.

I take the coil out clean the tank and battery area, put it back in with liquid + prime the coil. for about 5 minutes it tastes fine and is vaping as normal. then a really horrible burnt taste comes in which is unbearable to smoke and making my throat hurt.

I take the coil out and clean again, put more liquid. the same thing happens! it tastes absolutely fine again and then gets burnt.
any idea why this is happening ? the device gets quite hot too...
i don't think the coil is the issue because why does it taste fine for a few mins?
I've ordered new coils so going to try that but worried its the device. i've only had it for 2 weeks and changed the coil about 5 days ago.

You are getting partial saturation of the cotton in the coil head.

It's hard to get full juice saturation in a factory coil unless you put some juice in a container, set the coil upright into the juice, and let it sit for 30 minutes. The juice can be in a bottle cap. All you need is enough juice so that the cotton in the coil head is able to wick it up into the rest of the cotton. The holes in the side of the coil head should be covered by juice.

After saturation, take it out and blow out the excess juice and install the coil.

Last edited:

Minky 33

May 11, 2020
Has it been doing this since you got it, or has it just started happening?

It kind of sounds like juice isn't getting from the tank to the coil. Maybe it runs for a few minutes on the juice you drip on the coil to prime it.

It just started a few days ago! I soaked the coil in oil for 30 mins and tried again, the same thing happened it taste fine for 5 minutes then it went burnt

Minky 33

May 11, 2020
You are getting partial saturation of the cotton in the coil head.

It's hard to get full juice saturation in a factory coil unless you put some juice in a container, set the coil upright into the juice, and let it sit for 30 minutes. The juice can be in a bottle cap. All you need is enough juice so that the cotton in the coil head is able to wick it up into the rest of the cotton. The holes in the side of the coil head should be covered by juice.

After saturation, take it out and blow out the excess juice and install the coil.

I just tried this again and the same thing happened!

• Informative

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I looked up a review of the Jem and all it said was put 5 drops in the coil and let it sit for 5 mins. You should have been fine. Maybe whatever channels the juice goes through to get to the coil got blocked somehow. My guess is there's some kind of problem with the device rather than something you are doing wrong.

What juice are you using? And what coil do you have. The review mentioned 2 types of coil. One was ceramic.

Did you buy it on-line or in a shop?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
In my experience, once you burn a coil, it never recovers totally.

When you put the top cap on, don't torque it tight as a wheel lug! For almost all these tanks, finger tight is enough.

Next, allow some time between hits for the tank juice to resoak the coil. In the 5 minutes you mention, how many times are you hitting it??

I'd try a new coil, and go easy on it.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Are you trying new coils each time and it just keeps on burning? Or have this all happened with just one coil? I suspect that it's doing fine off the juice that you prime it with and then for whatever reason it's not getting fully saturated again. I don't know this individual product but if there are channels where you can actually see like a cotton looking thing around the outside you might want to get a needle and poke holes in it and see if that helps. Sometimes it's so tight or so dense that it just cannot saturate properly

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
UH YOU NEED SOME NEW COILS.

I am glad you have ordered some, but you can't take a coil out, soak it in some juice and expect it to taste good I am sorry that is not how it works. You are doing the vaping equivalent of trying to vape the cigarette filter. It doesn't usually work out.

It also has a constant output of 13 watts, so you can't adjust it. If you are chain vaping, well, it's gonna heat up. That is bad for coils. You may need to slow down on it.

Do you know which coil you have in there? Maybe the ceramic coil was better for you and lasted longer, they have sort of a reputation for more longevity. My guess is the cotton is gonna die off quicker but it is just a GUESS.

However, whichever coil worked better for you, order THOSE. And, slow down on the chain vaping if you are doing it, it is coil murder. I can heat up a tank if I try hard at 7 watts ,in about 3 minutes. So you may/want need more setups but I might suggest getting this one working for you first.

ALSO with that said, I too would like then never ending coil you just soak in juice and it works fine.... but that isn't how it works.

The closest you are gonna get is well, RTAs and stuff, but even then you have to change the coil from time to time and also, yeah, hold off on that yet.

Good luck and welcome.

Anna

Reactions: DaveOno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread