E Liquid and alcohol testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Unfortunately I can't post this in the e-liquid discussion forum because I don't have 5 posts here yet, but I hope someone can still help me. I am drug and alcohol tested by an incredibly sensitive test about 4 times a week. I have used e cigarettes in the past (joye 510), and would like to return to vaping.

My main concern is that a lot of e-liquids contain alcohol, or may use flavorings that are not alcohol free, and I need to be 100% sure that they do not contain any alcohol whatsoever or else face serious legal implications. Does anyone know of any reliable eliquid sources, or have any advice or experience with this issue? I would like to get this all sorted out asap, I am so ready to quit smoking!

Hmm, I have thought a lot about DIY, but it seems that all the DIY's I see on the forum require tons of flavorings from different websites, and I end up running into the same problem with regards to not knowing what they are putting in the flavoring. Are there any threads or does anyone have info on DIY using only natural ingredients, as in non-processed? Or just flavorings that don't contain alchohol? I like menthol, if I just put a small number of menthol crystals in the mix and let them dissolve, would that work?

Also, I know propylene Glycol is similar to alcohol, but would it show up on an alcohol test? I doubt it would, but it's worth asking. Thanks so much!

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Look at the DIY liquid forum here at ECF. There are flavorings that use propylene glycol USP (PG) as a base. Some use alcohol has a base, and others use gycerin USP (VG) as a base. I don't think that any flavorings use water as a base as H2O tends to destroy flavoring ingredients.

No, propylene glycol will not be misidentified as alcohol with any valid test procedure.

I DIY and don't use flavorings at all. I really don't need them.

skwerrel

Verified Member
May 27, 2012
usa
If you have so much riding on the test results, possibly pay your Dr to run the same test, and/or try a home test before putting your future at risk. Even mouth wash has alcohol, how does the test allow for that? Or are you told simply to use non-alcohol otc cold remedies, mouthwash, etc., and that it simply is your responsibility to avoid all alcohol containing products?

Hmm, no flavoring? That actually might be the best way to go for me I guess. I've read that people dilute their vg with water to avoid gunk buildup in the atomizer. I'll probably be buying a joye ego c come payday, and I would like to avoid ruining it quickly. Also, without flavor, is there really any need to steep the solution? My understanding so far is that it is purely for flavoring purposes. Thanks for the info, it's been a big help.

Oh, and yes skwerrel, it is entirely my responsibility to avoid alcohol based products. Even rum in a cake can come up as a positive. I've had a few close misses considering it's a two year program, but there's not much I can do but accept the situation.

hotrod3539

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Pickerington, Ohio U.S.A
Oh, and since you seem to have DIY experience, any particular Nicotine supplier you've found to be reliable? Wizard labs looked professional enough, I just want to make sure I don't get duped!

Wizard Labs is the absolute best in my opinion. You can get all the product information on every product they sell if its not readily available on the website you can e-mail them and John is very good at responding, I've even heard reports that he will even respond late at night if needed. You can get all the info and have all your questions answered before you order if needed. And they do get monitored by the FDA and maybe a couple other agencies as well so nothing funky in his stuff!! I have been using his stuff for a while now and never had any issue at all. I highly recommend them!

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Best way is to either DIY it or ask the vendor. Some use alcohol to give a TH Throat hit. When you get the lower nic count they may add it. Some vendors will custom mix and if you specify no TH then the skip that. I get mine mixed juice from USA Made Vapor Renu : Electronic Cigarettes Refill Cartridges : Candy Flavorings : E Cig Liquid Nicotine : Cartomizer Refills : Menthol E-Liquid : Flavoring Oils : E Cigarette Refills
I don't believe that alcohol is used except for the TH factor. Like I say ask them ahead of time if any contain alcohol.
DIY may be your best bet. Just make sure your flavors don't have it.
Those UA's are a pain in the you-know-what.
hope this is of help. someone here will fit the pieces together for you.

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
VG makes plumes of vape, and can as mentioned before be cut with water. It doesn't taste terrible on its own, but its not something to wright home about either. If I was in your situation I would definately do DIY non flavored. Besides being safe for your situation, some DIY flavors contain ingreedients that may be somewhat harmful. Safe on two counts seems the way to go.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
A thinner must be added to very high % glycerin USP (VG) e-liquid. Otherwise, the liquid is too viscous (thick) to work properly in a carto filler or a wick.

In my DIY juice I use nicotine from a 100% glycerin USP base and dilute it glycerin USP to the desired strength. I add 8 drops of water for each 6 ml of this blend. That's a 98/2 VG/H2O mix. No flavoring.

Last edited:

windozehater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
Nebraska
Correct me if i'm wrong but it has been my understanding that during the steeping process the goal is alcohol evaporation, the alcohol from the flavorings. if you leave most mixtures set, alcohol is usually the first to evaporate. i personally concentrated some vanilla flavors with a wide dish, open to the air, poured shallow, it started watery and after 3 days was like syrup and ultra strong.

zengargoyle

Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Los Angeles
You might just want to talk to the Dr. or whomever is giving you these intrusive OMG tests for whatever. They may be onboard with smoking replacement benefits and relative possible trace amounts of alcohol.

If you're vaping 1ml a day, even if the juice is 20% pure alcohol, that's .2ml a day. You could probably get that by eating some over ripe fruit and a slice of bread, or a glass of orange juice that's been sitting out too long. Or heaven forbid you get sick and the only medicine is in an alcohol solution and you either die or fail your test.

Maybe you could swing a trial week or something to see if it's going to be a problem and then stop if it screws up the testing.

Samyaza

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2012
London, ON
Correct me if i'm wrong but it has been my understanding that during the steeping process the goal is alcohol evaporation, the alcohol from the flavorings. if you leave most mixtures set, alcohol is usually the first to evaporate. i personally concentrated some vanilla flavors with a wide dish, open to the air, poured shallow, it started watery and after 3 days was like syrup and ultra strong.

Not everyone steeps with the tops off their bottles. It's been suggested that all that does is oxidise the nicotine (not sure exactly what that means tbh)

Steeping is to help the flavours mix, shaking and heat is what works for most people, or just time. I've never left the lids off my juices. Most of the flavour companies will list the ingredients in each flavour - Capella does, just click on a flavour and at the bottom of the page is the ingredients.

I'd say either plain or DIY is the only way to be really certain that there is no alcohol.

All that said, the concentration of alcohol in a slice of cake is WAY higher than will be absorbed by vaping a juice that has alcohol as part of the carrier of a flavour or two, as you are not ingesting the alcohol, it's being vaporised and we are talking about alcohol being less than 0.5% of the juice's make up.

Even if it is added to the juice to thin it or increase the throat hit, it's almost always at 5% or below.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread