E-Liquid Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Although relatively new to ECF, I spend a considerable amount of time on the Internet, and, by extension, read or watch (You Tube) many e-liquid reviews. These reviews are valuable to us because, although taste and flavour is very subjective, when a reviewer provides their opinion, it at least gives us direction or a starting point in our personal quest for the best tasting juice available; lets face it, regardless of the size of the vape plume, regardless of whether use cartos, e-go's or mods the size of a small suitcase, with few exceptions, its all about the taste of the e-liquid. Consequently, I'm always disappointed or surprised when a reviewer avoids talking about breathing, steeping or streathing (a combination of the two) of the liquids being reviewed. In fact, I've watch many a review where the host cracks open a brand new bottle for the purpose of the review. There are some e-liquid suppliers whose liquids are good to go right away while others need to steep to get the full and blended flavour, Halo is one that's good as soon as you get it home, whereas others, like Nicoticket, recommend 6-8 weeks of steeping for their custard blends.

My point is - Reviewers, If you're going to provide an e-liquid review, please provide us with some indication of the steeping time (if required) to achieve the best flavour. It would also be helpful to learn about your particular steeping method.

Case in point, this weekend I went to our local B&M and purchased some well known (in Canada) e-liquid. I ask about steeping and was told that none was required. When I got home to try it, it was awful. The flavour is Black Cherry (70/30, 18 mg), so fresh that I could actually taste the individual ingredients, and they were not complimentary. The cherry flavouring is harsh and artificial. I'm going to steep this one for two or three weeks and then try it again. Given the good reputation of the juice's producers, I fully expect better results after an appropriate steeping time.

Cheers,

Peter

Last edited:

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
so fresh that I could actually taste the individual ingredients ? The odds of a B & M having a fresh pre made juice ( within the first few day's ) are very slim.Most of people at the shops don't care about steeping and are sometimes not the best judges of flavor, they get dozens of free samples sent to them weekly but that's just from the 40 - 50 I've been to.
If your ordering online odds are it's going to be made to order unless it's from a gourmet master blend line, my best advice would be to always have a few new bottles in the drawer take the tip off for a couple hours twice during the week and be vaping the ones you bought a few weeks ago.

Good luck with that black cherry....and with that 18 mg nic ?
You might try this one it has no off putting smell / taste :Black Cherry

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Sparkky1. I'm becoming increasingly concerned about ordering nic containing e-juice from the U.S. It appears that Canada Border Services is beginning(?) to crack down on any e-liquid that has any amount of nicotine content. Its frustrating for us(me) up here. I may have already lost one shipment, a $110.00 order, that was placed on 2 Dec 14 and is still sitting in Customs. In fact there are some e-juice suppliers, like Nickoticket and VaporFi, that won't even ship to Canada anymore. It looks like I'll need to find a quality "homegrown" producer. I'm curious about the question mark behind the 18 mg nic juice I use. Is 18 mg odd? Just this past month I dropped down from 24 mg and I still have a bottle of 30 mg.

Peter

wesson

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Meaning if you have a usual 50% PG / 50% VG with 18 mg nic it could produce a rather harsh throat hit on your more advanced set ups.

Are you telling me you cant get juice with nicotine in it shipped in to Canada ?

Ah, OK. Some of my juices are 50/50, but the majority are 60/40 or 70/30; almost all contain 18 mg nic, but I do have a couple of 24 mg and a 30 mg. So, to understand, if juices are on the heavy side of VG, 50% or more, a higher nic content will result in a harsher throat hit? That "scratchy" feeling, not the "thump?"

I'm not completely up to speed on the current regs and I find the status of nic containing e-liquid to be very convoluted and confusing, but, yes, Canada has banned the importation of nicotine containing e-liquids. We are (currently) able to buy nic e-liquids in Canada, however, they are illegal (although there is no "law" on the books). I know, it doesn't make sense. This has not stopped Canadian producers from selling their product - thank God! It appears that Canadian authorities are either turning a blind eye to the sale of these products (for now?), or they do not (yet) have the resources to police the issue. Also, the rules are changing rapidly. Last week I was able to test vape a few e-juices in our local B&M, but the owner told me that soon (next month) vaping in the shop would be illegal; I don't know if this is a local ordinance, provincial or federal. I believe that here's also a movement afoot to ban flavoured e-liquid. Our ill informed and misguided politicians claim that flavoured juices will, or may incite youth to take up vaping.

Any Canadians who may be more knowledgeable about this subject, please jump in, as I'm certainly no expert and I don't want to propagate false or misleading information.

Peter

erikbal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
Olean, NY
Ah, OK. Some of my juices are 50/50, but the majority are 60/40 or 70/30; almost all contain 18 mg nic, but I do have a couple of 24 mg and a 30 mg. So, to understand, if juices are on the heavy side of VG, 50% or more, a higher nic content will result in a harsher throat hit? That "scratchy" feeling, not the "thump?"

I'm not completely up to speed on the current regs and I find the status of nic containing e-liquid to be very convoluted and confusing, but, yes, Canada has banned the importation of nicotine containing e-liquids. We are (currently) able to buy nic e-liquids in Canada, however, they are illegal (although there is no "law" on the books). I know, it doesn't make sense. This has not stopped Canadian producers from selling their product - thank God! It appears that Canadian authorities are either turning a blind eye to the sale of these products (for now?), or they do not (yet) have the resources to police the issue. Also, the rules are changing rapidly. Last week I was able to test vape a few e-juices in our local B&M, but the owner told me that soon (next month) vaping in the shop would be illegal; I don't know if this is a local ordinance, provincial or federal. I believe that here's also a movement afoot to ban flavoured e-liquid. Our ill informed and misguided politicians claim that flavoured juices will, or may incite youth to take up vaping.

Any Canadians who may be more knowledgeable about this subject, please jump in, as I'm certainly no expert and I don't want to propagate false or misleading information.

Peter

The two components most responsible for throat hit are nicotine and PG. Higher VG juices probably get most of their throat hit from the nicotine.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida

Peter

There is an active Canadian forum here: Canada Forum

I do believe they have a thread in there regarding Canadian laws and regulations. It is getting hard all over the world. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread