Status
Not open for further replies.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
Hi Vapers!

Could you tell me how do you verify the safety of e-liquids purchased online and those sold by b&m shops? Do they provide any certification of lab tests or the compliance with international standards? Any of your suggestions would be appreciated!

Some online sellers provide lab tests, most do not. B&M you would probably have to ask. I don't think there is any sort of standard though. The things to look out for are: diacetyl, acetyl propionyl, or acetoin(diketone). Some places claim to have juice free of those things, most of which provide test results. Some places never mention it *Shrug*. The only real way to ensure the safety of e-liquid is to make it yourself, otherwise it is a bit of faith & trust that those claims are honest. Most seem to be, and generally if someone has run into a big problem with a company, it will get talked about here.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The only standards necessary are to use real ingredients that are considered GRAS
or pharmaceutical grade and measure carefully,then mix. Use clean equipment and
working utensils in a clean neat work environment. Making e-juice is is as easy and safe
as making Kool-Aid. You do not need a lab environment capable of processing anthrax
safely.
Regards
Mike

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hi Vapers!

Could you tell me how do you verify the safety of e-liquids purchased online and those sold by b&m shops? Do they provide any certification of lab tests or the compliance with international standards? Any of your suggestions would be appreciated!
What are these "international standards" you speak of?

When you buy a bottle of some "adult beverage" from the local store, do they provide any certification of lab tests?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
No, there are no universally required standards. There are some vendors that are taking it upon themselves to eliminate known chemicals that are getting in via sources of the e-juice components. Not many that I recall.

Here is an organization that does help with standards. And they do need donations. But, there is some good info on their website: Home Page

I know that Nicoticket, correct me if I am wrong, is reformulating their products to use better ingredients that are certified. I suspect other vendors are seeing the light and going in that direction. One of these days, they will have to turn over their ingredients, processes, and final samples for FDA review.

For me, I have been following websites of vendors closer and watching them on FB to see what my particular favorite vendors are doing. Irregardless of anything else, I like to buy a better quality product, not for the sake of clouds or flavor, just for the sake of my health.

I went in to a B&M a good while back and the little strip-mall shop wasn't very clean. I asked for a flavor in a PG/VG level and nic strength, but it wasn't on the shelf. "No problem", they said, "we can make it". A guy went over to a small table in the corner and mixed a bottle and said here. The bottles didn't seem to be clean/sterile, needles reused, hands not washed, personal street clothing, just not the best. I have gone into others where hazmat clothing was worn in the storage and preparation lab and overall cleanliness was much better. I look for that stuff.

Good luck!

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A

USACelt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
Desert Southwest
Standards, I don't think there will be a set procedure printed unless the e-juice market is controlled by the FDA or some other bureaucracy. My self I am not looking forward to that and the Taxes that will go along with the oversight. If I was buying e-juice from a B&M I would expect at the least a separate "clean" room and sanitary conditions at a minimum. Proper labels and a orderly appearance.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I think 1 or 2 states have started requiring basic safety standards in the manufacture of ejuice. But I don not think that includes no Daicetyl and such. Just cleanliness, batch labelling and such.
There are NO nationwide regulations on the manufacture of ejuice except for the new child safety lids regulation just passed.

Reactions: skoony

USACelt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
Desert Southwest
I did not know any state had a hand in it at all. good to know. I saw enough strip mall mixers with low standards if you can call it that, to start DIY for My self. and have never looked back.
I will say even with all the hoopla around 5Pawns they have a very nice set up and I was impressed to say the least.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
Irregardless of anything else, I like to buy a better quality product, not for the sake of clouds or flavor, just for the sake of my health.
One thing I do not understand is if one realises if a vendor is using ingredients such as PG/VG,flavorings and,food colors that are certified as GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) and,pharmaceutical grade nicotine base actual improvement in the quality of the ingredients is a moot point. These ingredients
are already made to strict and uniform standards by regulation. I understand subjective concerns such
as wanting kosher,organic or natural ingredients but, objectively they do not confer any real measurable
real world increase in "quality".
My local B&M will mix juice right at the counter. They have premixed bases and its just a mater of
filling the right amounts in the size bottle one wants to purchase. Unless your going below 10mm bottles it is not difficult to obtain an accuracy that is sufficient to maintain a consistency in product. They use bottles that are basically the same as one would find condiments such as mustard and ketchup with the tapered nozzles. These bottles appear clean and well kept to me. Nothing touches the ingredient but the air between the nozzle and receptacle. Considering that PG and or VG both have robust antibacterial and antiviral characteristics and the rest of the ingredients have to real nutritional
value or are known toxins such as the nicotine there is really no reason to fear that any actual
pathological contamination is occurring or even if it's possible to occur unless done deliberately.
The counter is neat,clean and,well organized. The counter person is not sneezing,attending a runny
nose nor scratching inappropriate places.
If anyone knows of any pathogen ever having being spread by e-juice let me know. As of today
I have never heard of a single case of such a thing happening no mater where the juice was made
and how bad one could imagine the hygiene of the person who made it was.
Having researched the what the ingredients in e-juice are and how they are made it's my humble
opinion the ingredients and the process used to make the final product add a robustness to safety
hard to find in most processes used to manufacture products in general. A neat,clean and organized
work area using clean and or well maintained equipment is all that's necessary to insure a safe
consistent product.(aside from concerns of some of the flavorings or long term effects of vaping
itself) It's my belief one would have to deliberately adulterate the product with something known
to cause immediate harm to a user for there ever to be a problem to occur. The only other worse case
scenario is bad tasting juice. We certainly wouldn't want to vape it but, if we did it wouldn't hurt us.
:2c:
Regards
Mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I think 1 or 2 states have started requiring basic safety standards in the manufacture of ejuice.
I am not sure about Arkansas but,Indiana only requires vendors to adhere to existing
standards already in place for the commercial handling of food. Even though some of
their regulations are totally unnecessary this part actually makes sense. I have posted
already that the necessary standards that are in place at the local level are sufficient
to insure product safety.The beauty of it is no one even has to handle the ingredients used.
everything is poured from container and mixed. No prep is necessary.
Regards
Mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I do support safe ejuice manufacturing regulations.
I am confused. What is meant by standards? How can one improve on having a clean,neat and,
orderly workplace with clean( neat is a subjective term,think hipster) employee's.
AEMSA is well meaning but complete over kill. Vendors are not handling anthrax or
extracting plutonium. Local sanitary ordinances are sufficient to for maintaining product
safety. Over regulation is more likely to produce discrepancies in product safety as the
extra costs involved may tempt someone to look for shortcuts that may not be beneficial
in the long run. Pour measure and mix. There's really nothing to it.
Regards
Mike

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I am confused. What is meant by standards? How can one improve on having a clean,neat and,
orderly workplace with clean( neat is a subjective term,think hipster) employee's.
AEMSA is well meaning but complete over kill. Vendors are not handling anthrax or
extracting plutonium. Local sanitary ordinances are sufficient to for maintaining product
safety. Over regulation is more likely to produce discrepancies in product safety as the
extra costs involved may tempt someone to look for shortcuts that may not be beneficial
in the long run. Pour measure and mix. There's really nothing to it.
Regards
Mike
Local sanitary regulations do not apply to ejuice.
Nor as to contents. Caffeine, vitamins, etc. USP grade PG/VG? totally wide open now.

yep easy I DIY all my juice and I know what goes into it. That is not the case if I buy it.

Tol

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
NY
There is no way to really know what procedures anyone follows making juice. There are a ton of vendors making juice and for the most part we all just accept that it is relatively safe, or at least safer than all the chemicals in cigarettes. I am guessing that tobacco companies have some fairly strict regulations to follow in the making & packaging process to ensure we are getting the "cleanest" and "safest" packs of poison possible. It is more about what goes into the liquid than how/where it gets made. I have no idea exactly how/where most liquid I use gets made. I try look for vendors that are not known to include some of bad ingredients I mentioned previously, but beyond that? meh. Big enough manufacturers of juice probably don't hand make a lot of stuff either, so I guess no one is really touching it. I have been in B&M shops that I consider filthy and disgusting and would not take their juice if given to me for free. I also would not drink a glass of Kool-Aid made in that shop either.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Local sanitary regulations do not apply to ejuice.
Nor as to contents. Caffeine, vitamins, etc. USP grade PG/VG? totally wide open now.

yep easy I DIY all my juice and I know what goes into it. That is not the case if I buy it.

Someone had to say it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread