Eastmall has black m401 passthroughs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
for $15. M401 USB Passthrough - Black - e-Cigs Mini e-Cig M401 - Eastmall International Co.,Ltd

I bought 4 passthroughs from Trueman recently, but they are based off the DSE401 and not the m401... mine have a harder draw due to the DSE negative pressure switch..... Looking at the pic on your website, the threads look like they are based off the m-series(mic switch, easier draw).... is this the case?

And... wow! Black instead of white... now we are getting somewhere...

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
Ordered one today, looks like it uses the mic switch. Will review when I get it.

I'm a little bummed the 36mg juice is going away, I may have to switch suppliers now.

They said they are looking for an alternative manufacturer for the higher liquids... Even had a sample they are trying from one. Hopefully this will work out... If not.. well... I am pretty sure most if not all suppliers will be out of 36mg as Dekang makes over 90% of the liquids out there.

YES! Do give a review of the black passthrough.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Well I got my black USB passthrough today..

To start off, I use a 402, which is a 401 but with smaller batteries. I tend to go through 3 charged batteries a day minimum, and while they work good the amount of vapor goes down pretty fast as the charge wears down.

So I decided to try this passthrough.

I opened it up today, I got it with a 400ml order of 36mg liquid. Seems I got a few extra bottles thrown in with the order, thanks eastmall!

Back to the passthrough. I immediately plugged it in to the USB 1.0 port on my old HP laptop I have sitting on the coffee table, and popped an atomiser and cartridge that had been sitting there by the laptop. I had laid the atomiser there because I had been using it for a few weeks (it was my first atomiser) it didn't seem to be working too good on the batteries and I was going to try cleaning it.

I took a big draw and got nothing, hmm.. Did it again and nothing.. Disapointment strikes...

Oh! snap, probably works better if the laptop is actually turned on. ;)

So I powered up the old laptop and tried again... Good god what a hit.. The atomiser must have been soaked with party dry juice.

I figure this thing must be straight USB 5v, it produces mucho vapor and seems to run the atomiser a little hot. Definately a lot more power than my little 402 batteries.

It does use a mic switch, but seemd to draw better than the batteries.

The USB cord is about 3ft long and goes right into the end where the LED is, and it also has a red LED that works just like the LED on a battery. It's the size of a 401 battery but lighter. I assume an empty 401 shell. Identical threading and switch for the atomiser as a 401 battery.

It also has the electronics I assume as it has done the "5 quick flash" signal my batteries so when they get low.

It hits very well, very good vapor. With the straight 36mg it felt like smoking a marlboro pretty much, but tastes a lot better. You can drip a lot of juice on the atomiser and it makes grat vapor. More than I ever get from a battery and very consistent between draws.. You do have to let the atomiser cool off after a few though.

I'm using an old defunct cartridge and just dripping a couple drops on the atomiser bridge so far. But too many hits in a row and the atomiser seems to get quite hot and vapor starts getting an off taste.

Anyway, vaping straight 36mg I got past my normal nic dose pretty quickly, a lot faster than with batteries. I'm going to have to watch it. ;) I could go through a lot of liquid with this pass through so I either have to watch my intake or cut some of this 36g stuff down 50% or something.

I also found a couple drops of banana and a couple drops of cherry go pretty darn well together for my tastes.

I got so tweaked out on nic trying it I had to step away and go walk the dog a few miles.

Ayway, thats it and I'm quite happy with it so far, time to watch a movie and vape on... Wonder what grape, cherry and banana mix tastes like?

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
Hmm, I'm at work today with new information.

This passthrough doesn't work so well on my desktop on a 6ft USB extension cable. Works great plugged straight into the port on the machine though. Must be a decent voltage drop on the cable. LED lights up but not enough power for any vapor.

USB loses power the longer the cable.. 6ft is pretty long for an extension cable. It sounds wonderful though! I have the passthroughs from Trueman and they are made with the negative pressure switch DSE401(for $9.50 each) and the draw can be a bit hard.. I REALLY want an m401 based passthrough so I am VERY glad to hear this is working for you and that it, in fact IS, m401 based.. You get what you pay for and the easier draw of the m401 is worth the extra $5 for a passthrough. (being the mic switch, I would be careful about leaving it plugged in unattended if you have an atty attached as loud noises *can* activate it and there is no cutoff.)

Thank you! Now I just have to wait a month to make a purchase with some juice. I am so broke from all this.. lol

edit: And the atties do run a lot hotter on the passthroughs... definitely getting more power and are fog machines! Easy to overheat and get a burnt taste, but it just means we have to have a little self control.. and always keep the atty wet. I only dip, so using the passthroughs I dip every 10 puffs. On just the batteries I dip every 15-20 puffs. ( I STILL have not had an atty die on me. I love the m-series atomizers)

Last edited:

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
It's definately a mic switch, just a simple "Ooohmm" in a deep voice near it and it lights up.

The 6' cable is what runs to my desk at work from MY PC that sits off behind me. I guess I'll buy a powered hub, I need to go buy a netbook anyway.

Maybe one of those USB battery thingies while I'm at it.

And probably a USB thingy to plug into my car's lighter socket for passthrough while driving too. Could charge my phone and PV batts as well as they are both USB charging.

I suppose one could regulate the temps of the atomiser easily enough by just adding in a little extension cable till you get it right. ;)

I noticed the thread in the end doesn't seem to be very well secured, it turned in the black housing a little earlier when I removed the atomiser, could just be this one though.

No reorders for me for a while either. Ordered 400ml and eastmall sent extra, plus the sampler I already had, I'll be doing good to use this before it goes bad.

I have 100ml of unflavored 36mg to play with for new flavors though.

Last edited:

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
I suppose one could regulate the temps of the atomiser easily enough by just adding in a little extension cable till you get it right. ;)

I noticed the thread in the end doesn't seem to be very well secured, it turned in the black housing a little earlier when I removed the atomiser, could just be this one though.

Interesting thought! I have 2ft extension cables.. I might try that... may decrease the fog machine effect, but sounds like a plan!

hmm.. I wonder if maybe a thin coating of crazy glue right at the seam of the thread and bat casing would fix that. Also the usb wire right where it comes out the end has been a problem for some and their passthroughs die from the sharp bend potential... and maybe it being pulled on accident and losing the connection inside. I used tape.
PassthroughTaped.jpg

the DSE401 passthrough does not have an LED, but covering the LED will not cause damage and you would still be able to see it light up through the tape. Works great for preventative maintanance.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Interesting thought! I have 2ft extension cables.. I might try that... may decrease the fog machine effect, but sounds like a plan!

hmm.. I wonder if maybe a thin coating of crazy glue right at the seam of the thread and bat casing would fix that. Also the usb wire right where it comes out the end has been a problem for some and their passthroughs die from the sharp bend potential... and maybe it being pulled on accident and losing the connection inside. I used tape.

the DSE401 passthrough does not have an LED, but covering the LED will not cause damage and you would still be able to see it light up through the tape. Works great for preventative maintanance.

Well, I got hit by the storms in Dallas, trees down all over, no power since Wed evening..

At any rate, now the LED end popped out of the pass through as well as the threads on the other end being loose. I don't know if it might have been pulled on, it's been pretty dark in the house with no lights, could have been stepped on by the dog or something.

At any rate, I can see all the internals now, and I tested connecting a couple of ways internally, and I have ended up with a plan to make it a manual button pass through.

It simply requires a switch connected to the black wire from the USB cable on one side and to the aluminum case on the other where the wires go in the LED end, and it'll bypass the mic switch and give me a manual pass through.

prr2freya

ECF Veteran
That is so cool! (not that your passthrough broke, but that you are making a manual switch.)

Well, I got hit by the storms in Dallas, trees down all over, no power since Wed evening..

At any rate, now the LED end popped out of the pass through as well as the threads on the other end being loose. I don't know if it might have been pulled on, it's been pretty dark in the house with no lights, could have been stepped on by the dog or something.

At any rate, I can see all the internals now, and I tested connecting a couple of ways internally, and I have ended up with a plan to make it a manual button pass through.

It simply requires a switch connected to the black wire from the USB cable on one side and to the aluminum case on the other where the wires go in the LED end, and it'll bypass the mic switch and give me a manual pass through.

Adeem

ECF Veteran
May 20, 2009

Please explain, seems to me that to bypass the mic switch you would have to remove it from inside the tube (probably on the bottom, right on top of the atomizer connector), otherwise you would still need to activate the mic switch in addition to the manual switch...

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Please explain, seems to me that to bypass the mic switch you would have to remove it from inside the tube (probably on the bottom, right on top of the atomizer connector), otherwise you would still need to activate the mic switch in addition to the manual switch...

There are two wires coming out of the cable. The red one goes straight to the mic switch, attaches but also passes right through to the center post of the threaded end.

The black wire attaches to the LED at the other end, then it and a white wire go up to the mic switch. Only the black wire is switched by the mic switch.

But the outside threaded part of the atomiser end also contacts the aluminum tube, which means all you have to do is connect the black wire to the aluminum tubing of the body and the atomiser gets all 5 volts.

So all I have to do is put a little pushbutton switch to the black wire, and the other side of the switch to the aluminum body and it'll be a manual passthrough. That means one wire going through the body to the center post, and using the body as the other conductor.

I would imagine I could also make one from a dead battery really easily too.

I just went down to radio shack and grabbed a push button, looks like it'll actually fit perfectly in the LED end of the tube, so it'll be a manual passthrough with no LED.

I also grabbed a couple of miniature adjustable resistors so I can have a cheap method of lowering the voltage on the atomiser a bit and adjust to where I like it. Hopefully they can take the current without burining up.

I'll take pics of it dissembled and pics of my mod, but probably in the modding forum.

Edit: All done, works like a charm.. ;)

Last edited:

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
In the end things worked out for me, but I have to say these passthroughs are pretty darn fragile. Easily broken.

They work great but if you get one be gentle with it screwing atomisers on or the threaded section the atomiser threads to will come loose, and don't pull on the cord at the LED and or it will pop out pretty easily. Mine did both and I wasn't abusing it.

I'm a gadget guy so just converting it over to a manual pass through and fixing it wasn't a big deal for me, but most folks are not that handy.

They also run a little hot, easy to get too hot and get a bit of burnt taste. Something else I can fix with a resistor in line, but most won't want to.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
I've been using one of these new ones I ordered elsewhere for about a week now.

I believe it to be the same pass through eastmall sells, the same factory I think. I bought it elsewhere but it looks identical except mine has white paint.

I much prefer it over the original one I bought and posted about.

Much more convenient to deal with having the cable that reels up, and nothing has come apart yet.

The cable is a lot lighter, more flexible and easier to handle as well.

I'm vaping Eastmall Banana liquid through it from the USB port on my netbook at the office as I speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread