Easy LED replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I just received my first PV, an 801 from David, and I had them personally switch out the batteries for white ones. I need the psychosomatic effect of seeing something similar to a cigarette out of the corner of my eye.

I was expecting amber LEDs like in the description, but instead received blue LEDs.

Totally kills it for me. I feel like I'm smoking out of a toy. :(

Is there an easy method to replace the LED? I know it has a red one in it already as it flashes red when dying, so would it be feasible to just rewire something to switch which one is lit when vaping and dying?

I do have soldering experience, and general tech experience, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Good grief. I had no idea that LED color was so important. Heck, you can't really see it from the mouthpiece end.

If you pop the ash cap off the battery, you will see the LED is smaller than a grain of rice. Not the easiest thing to replace. Perhaps you could use a bit of tinted film stuffed inside the cap that might give a more amber glow to it.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
Yeah I know, I'm quite picky. :rolleyes:

Obviously replacing it would be too hard, but what about the switching idea? So that it switches what light is used when charging/vaping?

Also, is it normal for the charger to show green after only 30 minutes of an initial charge?

[EDIT] I tried taking a puff on it a couple times, and there was a LITTLE vapor, but the light cut off after half a second. I should probably quit being impatient and let it charge, huh?

I just don't understand why the light is green?

Last edited:

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
They send out Li-Ions half charged, because their shelf life is longer at that state of charge. Not unusual to hit full charge after a half hour. If your manual says to leave it in for 8 hours, do it. If it says to pull the battery after the light turns green, do it. In other words, follow directions. The reality is, it doesn't matter. Lithium ions have no memory. You don't have to 'train them' like a Ni Cad. I use em fresh from the distributor, with no probs. You can top them up before a bar hop, without any downside. That's one of the beauties of Li-Ions. Charge them when you feel like it, you don't have to wait for the 'full discharge' cycle, like Ni Cads and NiMHs.

That isn't to say that you can be cavalier with them, though. They need to be respected for potential over charge; they can vent and flame, and even explode. Charge them on your bathroom or kitchen counter, where they won't burn your house down if there is the rare occurance of a charger malfunction. I said rare, don't get paranoid.... just be prudent.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I talked to Ed and I guess it was a manufacturer problem. They didn't check the cut-off time like they are required to do before shipping. He's going to resolve it for me soon. It's just frustrating having this happen for my first purchase, but from what I have read about Eastmall, and what I have experienced, I know this will be taken care of soon. :) Is there anyway to possibly mod the batteries I have to change the cutoff time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread