ECF, Help me choose my next mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsutiger

Apr 26, 2014
Cajun Country, USA
I am looking to buy a new mod and graduate from my MPV2. I am looking to get something worth the money, of course, but do not want to break the bank. I would say my budget is under $200, but I would spend more for the right item.
So, what do I want in my new mod? Definitely VV/VW, be able to subohm to be able to push at least dual coils. USB charging is a plus, if not a requirement. I have looked at some models which I will list below. One of the drawbacks on some of the models is that they are not readily available (pre-order with a wait list). When I order I would like it pretty quick (who doesn't want their new toys?!?).
Here is the list of mods I may be interested in (in no particular order):
Vapor Shark
Cana Mod
eVic Supreme
XPV DNA-30D
Asgard DNA 30
Seven 30
Sigelei 30W

So tell me, what is the good, bad and ugly about these listed. If you have your own suggestion, please share!

Thanks!

PS - The attys I have now: Nautilus, KFL+, Fogger V4, Igo-W

Last edited:

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
I don't own any but I'm also in the market and i'll share what I learned so far.

vapor shark:
+very small
+more affordable
+great buttons
+spring-loaded 510
-bad battery life for heavy vaping
-a bit too small for a 22mm atty
-finish is not durable

XPV:
+good battery life
+great switch
+comes in wide variety of color options
+more affordable
-doesn't always flush mount, non-adjustable 510
-the old finish scratches up easily from what I heard
-standard off-shelf installation box with screws sticking out, looks are very meh to me
-not as compact as a box mod

asgard DNA30: (currently on the top of the list to buy for me)
+durable finish
+relatively compact, only a bit taller than an 18650 battery!
+very decent battery life
+adjustable 510
-tiny silvery dome buttons require hard pushing

From what I know all the lead times on all these are not very long, <2 weeks.

Last edited:

dabears34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Columbus, OH
I cant give you a long term review of the Asgard(just got mine about two hours ago) but so far so good. The finish looks great, not a nick or scratch anywhere on it. The hammered finish seem really durable, I doubt anyone would do much to it with normal day to day use. The buttons are they same super clicky ones found on the Hana Modz. The whole 510 connector is threaded really well and the adjustable pin works like a charm. From what I have read their customer service is outstanding and that was enough to make me pull the trigger. @xyanide I'm not sure what the lead time for you guys in Europe is but mine came two days after I ordered.

lsutiger

Apr 26, 2014
Cajun Country, USA
@ xyanide - Thanks for all the info! I was leaning toward the Evic S and Vapor Shark. I've seen a couple of reviews where the 510 connection can become loose on the Evic, so that turned me off. The good is that it comes from a reputable company and will ship quicky. I have seen where the vapor shark's build is better on version 2 and I like the form factor. I am not a 'heavy vaper' so the battery life would be fine with me.

@faboom - I really don't want to wait for slowtech. Plus there might be a customs stop because it has a battery, but thanks for the idea!

@dabears34 - The asgard is definitely a good piece from what I have read. The price is a little on the high side though. I am sure I could scrape together the extra dollars. The adjustable pin is a good sell point, along with the 'in stock' inventory/quick shipping. If you could, message me in about a week and tell me more about the Asgard after you get familiar with it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your input!

On another note, I received my vapemail from all of the Memorial Day sales in today. I am sitting here wondering what these juices would taste like on a dual coil at 20 watts! :blink:

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
From what I have read their customer service is outstanding and that was enough to make me pull the trigger. @xyanide I'm not sure what the lead time for you guys in Europe is but mine came two days after I ordered.

Vapemail can take anything from 5 days to 14 days to get to me, sounds good! Durability, quality control and customer service is what I expect if a mod is priced like this, that's where I saw a bunch of big makers drop the ball in the past (hana, zen, dbmodz). I think it's a good analogy to view DNA modders as upscaled makers

If you could, message me in about a week and tell me more about the Asgard after you get familiar with it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Please reply in this thread instead @dabears I'd love to hear about that mod as well, I'm currently very tempted.

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
I had to ask Asgard about the dimensions and material that was used. He replied within 24 hours on facebook so that's a good sign.

The material used for the box is 6061 aircraft aluminum, and the dimensions are roughly 2" by 3" by 1". We will mention to jvapes to put that in the description on their website

Last edited:

lsutiger

Apr 26, 2014
Cajun Country, USA
Those honestly all seem like legit choices.
Havent heard of the asgard prior to this thread but it looks like a legit alternative to a Hana. The liPos can be a deal breaker for some or bonus for others.
I just woke up...liPos? You mean the batteries I am guessing :)
Yes I can see that. On my end it is bonus for me. Not having to use another outlet and making more room in my 'vaping area' at home to charge batteries = +

I added links to each model for easier lookup.

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
So what's your issue, if I may ask?

If you'd read the JCMS website news they mention that they can't keep up with the demand for their DNA mods because they aren't getting clear supply delivery information for the boards from Evolv.
To take a wild guess myself, I think Evolv has to deal with variations in their production yield of the boards and they can't consistently produce a set number with each batch. Just an idea of mine. Let's face it that the demand has probably skyrocketed lately as there's a lot of DNA-30 mods out there.
I am also pretty puzzled as to why r77 is questioning the value of an evolv device because of this. It's not like JMCS is out of business or anything.

dabears34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Columbus, OH
Ok guys I will keep you updated in this thread, I'm going to take some pictures shortly to give you guys a comparative idea of the size. One interesting note: When the device is booted up from sleep(or whatever) it displays "Evolve DNA". Some DNA modders like Hana Modz have their name displayed instead of what I assume is Evolves default screen. I wonder if they have an easier time getting these chips because they don't have to be specially programmed and set aside just for them.

xyanide

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
The Netherlands
Anyone know about these lipo batteries contained in devices shipped internationally? I'm not sure if USPS will do it.

*edit* scrap that, I had to do some digging around but found it. Shipping lithium batteries internationally with USPS is no problem as long as:
- the battery is of relatively low capacity (as in not one for electric bikes)
- the battery is properly installed in the device
- is not removable (as in a laptop battery pack)

Last edited:

dabears34

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Columbus, OH
A little update: I have been really impressed with the performance of the Asgard so far. The battery life is amazing, I can go 18-24 hour (chain vaping) on a charge running at 30 watts with a .4 ohm dual coil setup. I just rebuilt the coils to around .6 ohms so we will see how that effects the battery life. My goal is to keep moving the resistance up and see if I can find a sweet spot(this is my fist DNA mod).

stoprealones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2009
I don't own any but I'm also in the market and i'll share what I learned so far.

vapor shark:
+very small
+more affordable
+great buttons
+spring-loaded 510
-bad battery life for heavy vaping
-a bit too small for a 22mm atty
-finish is not durable

XPV:
+good battery life
+great switch
+comes in wide variety of color options
+more affordable
-doesn't always flush mount, non-adjustable 510
-the old finish scratches up easily from what I heard
-standard off-shelf installation box with screws sticking out, looks are very meh to me
-not as compact as a box mod

asgard DNA30: (currently on the top of the list to buy for me)
+durable finish
+relatively compact, only a bit taller than an 18650 battery!
+very decent battery life
+adjustable 510
-tiny silvery dome buttons require hard pushing

From what I know all the lead times on all these are not very long, <2 weeks.

I just have to chime in about the vaporshark.I think they had to revamped the finish.I've owned mine now for months,and there isn't a scatch on it.You might want to check with the newer versions of this. I simply love how small this is,and it lasts me about 6 hours of chronic vaping. I just wish I had three of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread