Travel and Vaping Ecig for carryon on air plane flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
TSA never gave me any hassles until past christmas i had 5 new EGO kits in my carry on for gifts. There was no line behind me, so they had to take them ALL out and finger them all. Then i smiled and gave about 8 TSA agents the full demo. They all asked a ton of questions and were generally interested in a fun spirited way. I gave them the info (website) where to get them and they were all very thankful for me taking the time to PROPERLY demonstrate. Most had seen them go thru but never actually seen how they perform. I think i made some new friends that day over at phoenix sky harbor.

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
I would think that as long as you place the e juice into a quart size baggie in smaller bottles (30ml) and place the batteries into a baggie you should be fine. Just remeber to keep the liquid you carry under the 3oz max and there should be no issue. Not sure how much you plan to carry with you. I myself am returning to Africa in a few weeks and plan to do the same thing. Have not tried this yet, but will let everyone know how that goes.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
What about traveling internationally? I will be going to mexico soon and am more concerned about getting out of there and back home? Please let me know if you have any experience with that. thanks.

p.s. I will be carrying on and not checking a bag.

Your good, just got back from Cancun yesterday. No problems.

SweetPuff

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
USA
no problems at all with domestic travel. had one kit in carry on and one in checked luggage. no questions asked, they did not even blink. for now, we're good. TSA doesn't seem to have a problem with pv's. One tip I got helped a lot, which is wrap all pv equipment neatly, with charger cords folded and secured with a rubber band, and I kept all of the stuff in the original kit, along with the explanation card that the kit came with, which explained what it is. this may have made it go over very easily too.

gewain

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2010
Winnipeg Canada
I can only speak about my experience with Air Canada and BMI from London to Dublin. I was terrified at the prospect of flying in the first place and knew that doing so without nicotine of some kind was just about impossible. I only had a few weeks to prepare for this and hadn't any experience with vaping. I ended up ordering hundreds of dollars worth of 100mg/ml PG etc from different sellers in the US and China so I'd be sure to get at least one shipment before I travelled. I thought ejuice was the main problem as I'd heard that Canada Customs was seizing it quite a lot more recently but the hardware was easier to get either in Canada or the US but not quickly. Most ejuice arrived after I got home but at least one lot arrived on time for travel. When I told my wife about it she was worried I would try to vape on the plane and thought I would get into trouble. So I am ashamed to say my vaping had to be hidden even from her. To calm her fears about the situation to some extent, I did ask at each airport (6 altogether - 3 each way) if they had any problems with it. If anything, I got more interest than problems. The police and security were polite and friendly and said they had no problem whatsoever after I had explained what it was. Onboard the airplane was different. I had some new cartomizers that I had filled with only nicotine and PG. That way there was no obvious vapor. I used my 510 eGo in the washrooms on many occasions and sat down blowing it towards the door vent at floor level. After a while I got less cautious and just sat and vaped normally. There was no reaction from the smoke detectors. While in my seat (once again to my shame) I simply put a blanket around my shoulders and lent my head forward and vaped without even my wife realizing let alone crew or other passengers. It made the whole trip possible and almost pleasant. So in general I would say be careful but not paranoid and allow yourself to vape onboard.
I started this whole process to get me on a plane and across the Atlantic with the hope of being able to quit or cut down in time. I have ended up not smoking a single cigarette for over a month and enough supplies to keep me that way for a long
time - not sure how long these products last. Even though I haven't posted that often, I'd like to thank this community, especially IOWN for all the information and help getting started on this and for helping me to "accidentally" give up smoking. I think if you're polite and honest with people you will have no problems vaping in general and even in airports but not on the airlines I used as it was prohibited but easily doable with the right liquid - PG that is, no visible vapor.

TonsO>apoR

Feb 1, 2011
Texas
Flying to Africa out of IAH in Houston and i brought 1 leo batt and 2 att's in carry on as well as my megoladon, carts and attys, all my batts for my megoladon and 3 bottles of juice. I removed the battery from the don and disassembled the don and the only thing tsa did is look through the case with all this in it and asked what it was after i explained what it was it went through with no issues.

Padre

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
Maryland
looking for some help consolidating all the info I have read.

I am traveling domestic in a week and I am just trying to get the straight story.
should the pv be assembled or diassembled
checked bag or carry on
I think carry on and if so, should I leave in the carry on bag or put in the tray with keys
or leave it in my pocket
I don't plan on vaping on the plane, but maybe in the terminal, should I stealth vape
I heard batteries should not be checked, do I put them in a tray also, camera case, keep in carryon?
charger in checked?

thanks

Last edited:

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
looking for some help consolidating all the info I have read.

I am traveling domestic in a week and I am just trying to get the straight story.
should the pv be assembled or diassembled
checked bag or carry on
I think carry on and if so, should I leave in the carry on bag or put in the tray with keys
or leave it in my pocket
I don't plan on vaping on the plane, but maybe in the terminal, should I stealth vape
I heard batteries should not be checked, do I put them in a tray also, camera case, keep in carryon?
charger in checked?

thanks

Just carry it in your carry on bag. I don't see any reason to place it in the tray. Remember, you aren't required to place keys and stuff like that in the tray either. Most people just do that out of convenience. I also wouldn't bother disassembling it unless you have some huge mod that you think would look funny assembled through a scanner.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they do hand inspect your bag and want to know what it is, just tell them the truth in a polite, non-confrontational and matter-of-fact way. You are not prohibited from flying with the device and even when the new DOT regs take effect, you still won't be.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Hey Padre,

Juice bottles can go in checked luggage - if carried on, they must fit in your quart baggie of liquids (with shampoo, lotion, etc.). That's supposed to go in the tray, but in January I forgot to take it out of my purse and it went right through the X-ray scanner, no questions - but it was only a few items. I also forgot a couple of assembled 510s in my purse (probably they looked like pens).

ALL lithium-ion batteries must be carried on, according to a recent TSA rule. That includes spare camera, laptop, phone, or any other Li-ion batteries. If you have several PV batteries, it is a smart to separate them in their own baggie just to make hand-inspection easy if they don't like what they see on the scanner. In a different baggie, put your atties/cartos (to prevent unexpected vapor from an accidental button press - you can imagine how that would go over).

I had my batteries baggie in my laptop carry-on, but a little too close to some loose USB cords and other random wires, so they pulled my bag aside and asked me what they were (regular 510s and eGo batts). Try to organize your carry-on bag so that these types of items are in separate areas, so they don't look suspicious on the scanner like mine did. It helps if any loose computer wires are neatly bundled (twist-ties/rubber bands).

TSA also recommends that you organize your checked luggage - tie up your charger cords neatly, and separate them into different areas. Put such electronics, wire bundles, etc. in a single layer, don't pile them together. Use layers of clothing etc. to separate them. Remember, you will not be there to explain anything when they scan your checked luggage. Wise packing makes it less likely they will riffle through your suitcase - if they can clearly recognize such items on the scanner, there's no need to open the bag.

I would not recommend you leave anything metal in your pockets. Coins, belt buckles, underwire bras and metal hair accessories usually trigger the metal detector.

My bags were well organized on my outbound flight, nothing attracted the least attention. I wasn't so neat on the return flight, and was questioned (very politely - he said, "are these...?" and I said, "e-cig stuff" - he nodded and that was that.

I also brought a bubble-pak SASE and stamps, in case they thought I had too many batteries and wanted to confiscate some... I had read about someone who had that problem.

VaporChef

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
NYC, USA
Good luck to you! I hadn't flown for a few years so perhaps I was unduly paranoid, despite my considerable research reading every air-travel thread on ECF. But TSA recently confiscated a mini Swiss-Army knife from my mom in Providence, a treasured souvenir she had in her purse for 20 years (thus my SASE). TSA keeps changing their list of restricted items so it's always a good idea to check their latest info about anything you might be bringing. Remember, domestic travel is different than the FDA seizures, or Customs inspections.

I went to Nashville from LaGuardia - on business, so I had a lot of computer crap to schlep. Security equipment and procedures vary from airport to airport, and baggage/carry-on rules vary according to airline, and everything can change on short notice, so do read your airline's baggage info and check the latest rules via their link to TSA's site. Especially if you don't fly very often, or haven't done so recently.

Your PV equipment is probably the least of your worries. TSA inspectors are informed about them, but their training can't include every possibility of what things might look like on the scanner. You're not doing anything wrong or illegal, so don't be intimidated if they ask questions, they are just doing their job. Be relaxed and matter-of-fact, everything should be just fine!

Enjoy your trip!

Valsacar

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2010
Seoul
I fly quite a bit, all over Asia and back to the US. Haven't had a problem yet, my ProVari got a swabbing in Orlando though, but no questions about what it was. I just take my MAP tanks off, put them in the baggy, turn off the ProVari and place it along with the eGo bats in my laptop bag. Once through security I reassemble. TSA has said (on their official blog) that e-cigs ARE ALLOWED on flights (use is not, of course).

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Since I got my ProVari I've traveled through LAX, Dulles, White Plains and Kennedy security and had no problems (not even any questions) at any of them.
One ProVari disassembled and carried in my kit (a cushioned GPS bag I got for $10 at an auto parts store) along with paper clips, filling syringes, spare batteries, charger, etc., and my juice in a baggy with a business card from the vendor. The other ProVari assembled and left in my coat pocket as it went through the scanner.

I haven't taken any MAP tanks - the thing I use constantly at home - preferring to stick with the CE2 XL cartos for travel. I don't know whether they'd question those. I've found that 4 XL cartos filled with varying flavors of juice satisfy me and I can make it through the day, then refill them when I get back to my hotel. Lots and lots of questions from the businesses I've gone to, and more people asking for information. I'm going to write to ProVape and ask them for more business cards - I gave away the three I had.

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
Travel report, March and April, domestic and international flights:
I flew into or out of airports in Anchorage, AK; Chicago, IL; London (Heathrow); Edinburgh; Dublin; and Portland, OR on this trip. No problems anywhere. Questions about my e-cig equipment at Anchorage, London, Edinburgh.

Comments on security screenings:
  • For each flight I carried 2 complete e-cigs (501's with Ego battery), 2 extra Ego batteries, two 15 ml nic juices, and one charger in my carryon and packed various extras in my checked bag.
  • TSA in Anchorage ran my carryon through the scanner twice, then asked me what the e-cig stuff was. The TSA agent advised me that the best thing is to put the e-cigs in the quart ziplock bag with the fluids and any other fluids and place the quart bag separate from your carryon bag in the bin for the scanner. I did this at every airport after that and it saved having to be told to do it again, I guess. If you have the stuff out in the open like that, I think they find it reassuring. Note: You're only allowed one quart bag total.
  • TSA in O'Hare didn't even glance at the stuff. They were too busy yacking with each other.
  • TSA at Heathrow passed the stuff through without a question (outbound) but I was selected for "enhanced screening" at Heathrow on the return leg - randomly generated list, they showed it to me - and they wanted to know what the stuff was. Only one of the four agents who were in the special screening area was familiar with e-cigs. I told them what the stuff was and they let me board the flight without any hassle.
  • Edinburgh screeners huddled around the x-ray scanner and then asked me what the e-cig stuff was. One told me the e-cigs and Ego batteries looked like bullets on the scanner. The security woman asked me if they really worked, because she thinks she'd like to try them!
  • Dublin ariport: no questions, no delays.
  • Portland airport on return connection: Easiest TSA of the whole trip. No body scanner, no frisk, no questions about my carryon items. (I was frisked or body scanned at every other airport.)

Vaping in-flight and in airports. Comments: I only vaped in my seat on the night flights; on day flights I vaped in the bathroom. No hassles from anyone, but I was very discrete and on a couple flights had the whole row to myself. Very enjoyable. Also, while waiting at various airports I just chose empty boarding areas and vaped openly and took the opportunities to charge my batteries.

N.B.: Customs is no problem anywhere as far as I can tell. Just about every checked bag is x-rayed these days, and I could tell they'd opened my bag when I got home. You don't have to wait at the airport for any kind of baggage examination. Just claim your bag from the carousel and leave after handing in your entry declaration form.

I took a total of seven flights on this trip. Other than a few questions here or there, not one difficulty getting all my e-cig gear through security.

smirkette

Feb 15, 2011
San Francisco, CA
FWIW, I've never had any issues either, and I've been on three plane trips with my eGo-T now (through SFO, JAX, RSW, BOS). E-juice in the baggy, along with tanks (make sure you have the plastic cap for the end--the change in pressure made the tanks leak a bit in the bag). Traveled with two batts, two atomizers, and an extra tank in a eye glasses case in my carry-on.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
So, to update my original post in this thread: I've now flown with my Prodigy V3.1 over a dozen times. No problems whatsoever. I've still only had that one single incident when the TSA pulled me out of line, and even that one was only about 1 minute of explaining what it was and having my bag riffled, then right on the plane. It seems as if TSA is increasingly aware of what these things are. That's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread