Eclipse as a stepping stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winger

Jul 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm trying to make the transition from traditional cigarettes to e-cigarettes, but unfortunately I keep finding myself wanting the real thing. One thing I started doing that really seems to help is to smoke e-cigs like I would a normal cig (go outside and the whole bit). Unfortunately, e-cigs just don't deliver the same punch nor do they really act like traditional cigs. I'd actually prefer it if after ~15-20 puffs they'd just turn off for a minute so that I knew that my time was up.
My next plan of action is to buy a pack or two of Eclipse. I've used them before, and they certainly seem to be similar to e-cigs in my opinion. Though, like regular cigarettes, they go out after a fixed amount of time and deliver slightly more punch. I figure, after a few days with Eclipse, the transition might be easier. Anyone else try this path?

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I haven't tried Eclipse. If you're really planning just a few days for transition it doesn't much matter one way or the other - you could use anything that doesn't contain, let's say, ...... or drain cleaner. ;)

If you are thinking of longer term Eclipse usage you might want to read Michael Siegel's analysis. I generally trust him on tobacco issues.

For other options... Snus and prescription nicotine nasal spray give a good hit, if that's your primary need. And they can be used longer term while esmoking. There's more discussion of such things in the Other Alternatives to Smoking section.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Eclipse?? Can someone enlighten me? :)

Made by RJ Reynolds...the same people that make Camels, Kools, etc...

Instead of burning tobacco, you essentially light up a small piece of charcoal that heats up the tobacco hot enough to smoke. its hard to explain ...

Eclipse (cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

hist_eclipse.jpg

eclipse-cigarettes.jpg

winger

Jul 17, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I've been using nothing but Eclipse (a single pack so far) and e-cigs for three days now. I may have to buy another pack of Eclipse tomorrow.
The e-cigs are more and more appealing after using Eclipse and I feel like there's some sort of comfort in having a pack of smokes available if I need it. At this point the only thing keeping me from smoking e-cigs exclusively is either psychological or the fact that e-cigs are somewhat hit or miss when it comes to vapor production... Mostly psychological I suppose :)

The Eclipse are sort of nasty to be sure. I've tried both menthol and regular in the past. Really, the only difference is menthol is slightly minty whereas regular is just like inhaling steam. I'm not sure which I dislike least.

Aside from taste, I think Eclipse are given more of a bad rap than they deserve. Certainly, quitting is the best option, but I can't imagine Eclipse are worse than cigarettes, as some imply. If they are, then I'd really like to see the study. In my mind, Eclipse are somewhat like e-cigs in that they give you the nicotine hit and some flavor without as much of a risk. Sure, there may still be a risk, but the point is the risk is reduced. And even if the risk is 90% of a traditional cigarette, I think it's worth marketing. I guess if RJ Reynolds sold e-cigs they'd get sued for causing dry throats.
In my case, however, I'm just using Eclipse so that moving completely to e-cigs is easier. So far I think it's working :)

Regardless, I'd like to eventually move completely to e-cigs. Though I guess there are probably risks with e-cigs too :(

DeviLFisH

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2008
I've been using nothing but Eclipse (a single pack so far) and e-cigs for three days now. I may have to buy another pack of Eclipse tomorrow.
The e-cigs are more and more appealing after using Eclipse and I feel like there's some sort of comfort in having a pack of smokes available if I need it. At this point the only thing keeping me from smoking e-cigs exclusively is either psychological or the fact that e-cigs are somewhat hit or miss when it comes to vapor production... Mostly psychological I suppose :)

The Eclipse are sort of nasty to be sure. I've tried both menthol and regular in the past. Really, the only difference is menthol is slightly minty whereas regular is just like inhaling steam. I'm not sure which I dislike least.

Aside from taste, I think Eclipse are given more of a bad rap than they deserve. Certainly, quitting is the best option, but I can't imagine Eclipse are worse than cigarettes, as some imply. If they are, then I'd really like to see the study. In my mind, Eclipse are somewhat like e-cigs in that they give you the nicotine hit and some flavor without as much of a risk. Sure, there may still be a risk, but the point is the risk is reduced. And even if the risk is 90% of a traditional cigarette, I think it's worth marketing. I guess if RJ Reynolds sold e-cigs they'd get sued for causing dry throats.
In my case, however, I'm just using Eclipse so that moving completely to e-cigs is easier. So far I think it's working :)

Regardless, I'd like to eventually move completely to e-cigs. Though I guess there are probably risks with e-cigs too :(

:oops:I thought eclipse sweets..there is one sweets call eclipse too here inmy country it got mints flavour

so overall u still smoke real cig + e cig?:confused:???????????

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I can't imagine Eclipse are worse than cigarettes, as some imply. If they are, then I'd really like to see the study.
In the first response to you I posted a link to Dr. Siegel's analysis of the study data. Also, his analysis includes a link to the Eclipse study data released by RJ Reynolds.

If you're meaning the detail design and raw data, I'm not sure if that's been published.

Congratulations on your success to date. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread