The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

eGo Mega Dual Coil Cartomizers

Discussion in 'Cartomizer Reviews' started by cyberwolf, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mindfield

Mindfield Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Actually, I was mentioning that in reference to how much juice it holds, not to say that it couldn't vaporize what remained (it doesn't seem to have any trouble with that) but to say that even on a complete fill in the morning I can still go to bed that and know there's still plenty left for the morning. I haven't vaped one of these dry yet but I've topped up after a full 24 hours just because I wanted to make sure I had enough in there. I topped up about an hour ago though and I'm going to see how long I can go before I start getting dry hits. I don't expect that will happen until late tomorrow night if my observations are any indication.

2. imbt01

imbt01 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2010
    NC
    Stopped by Madvapes yesterday (I know, I'm lucky I live close)....My friend David gave me an eGo Mega Dual Coil Carto to try with my ego Batt I was buying. First thought: "Boy, is this thing UGLY" !!!!!!! lol So, today I loaded with my KBV OMG and let it rip. WOW!!!!! I even like the rubber tip! Nice feel! Tons of flavor and even more tons of vapor........It holds a ton of juice.....but with the ego Batt it is probably a juice hog.....but who cares? Happily vaping right now!! Thanks, David! You know I'll be back! :vapor:

3. tat2d4life

tat2d4life Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 21, 2011
    somewhere NY
    just received my order of these from avid vaper... OMG these are the greatest dual coils ever... nice draw, nice th ,haven't topped off and I have been vaping this hard all day..my only complaint is the black doesnt match my stainless ego bat =(

4. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    For those of you who don't like the rubber tip, the ego atomizer b drip tip fits it.

5. NebulaBrot

NebulaBrot Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    CW,
    Great review and nice thread. Just received a couple of these to try on someone's recommendation. Thought I might add a few observations.

First, let me say that I am a dedicated higher voltage vapor. I do not even have any 3.7 volt devices (other than a Bartleby box I keep for sentimental value - first "mod"). I have also been a dedicated user of the Joye 302 atty in the 5 volts range and primarily a tobacco(s) and tobacco menthol(s) vapor. In the last couple of months, I have shifted into cartos and mostly one particular DIY (non-bacco) juice. I have found that my baccos/menthols are still happiest in the Joye 302 attys as they just taste better in that atty. But I am also finding the fruitier juice I am vaping now is much better in cartos.

I have tried most cartos on the market today and find my favorite is made by Boge. Boge continuously changes some of their product numbers. This particular carto is identified at NHaler as "801 carto" and Ikenvape as "fusion". It has the tube of 510 but a slightly wider collar at the base for its 801 threads. Ωs are in the 2.6-3.1 range with most metering at 2.8 or 2.9

The EMDCC is the first carto I have tried that delivers the same flavor as the Boge 801/fusion (current part number JCA302 - formerly JKY302). The EMDCC also produces immense vapor. The EMDCC can be used on any 510 device with a 510 to ego adapter (EMDCC uses the ego cone threads).

Dual coils are unique in that they are generally 2 much higher Ohms coils connected in parallel and the parallel connection causes them to be read on meters as LR (1.6Ω in this case). For any who may not already know, LR attys/cartos were originally designed to simulate/imitate the higher voltage vaping experience while using low voltage (8-ish+ watts from 3.7 volts). Many people like them and some even prefer them to higher Ωs on higher voltages. Personally, I find LR tends to heat too quickly for my tastes and just prefer higher-voltage/higher-Ωs WATTS compared to the same WATTS on LR/LV.

Another interesting aspect of dual coils, again - for those who may not know - is they can perform amazingly well at higher volts (after all, they are 2 higher Ωs coils). So, of course, as soon as I received my EMDCC(s) I had to try them at higher volts. As Darwin is my primary and preferred device, EMDCC first went on Darwin. It perfoms very well at higher Watts settings. The max watts setting on Darwin is 12.7 watts and this produces about 4.6/4.7 volts on Darwin due to Darwin's Power Management features (reads atty/carto Ωs many many times each second and automatically/constantly adjusts volts and amps - to achieve user-set WATTS level - based on the Ωs of the atty/carto). While Darwin can certainly push much higher voltage, the Power Management reads the EMDCC Ωs at 1.6 and provides power accordingly. The vapor is the thickest I have experienced and flavor is very good.

Next step was on unregulated 6V on GGTB. For this I use two of the AW LifePO4 3.0 volts batts. This stepped up the vapor a little bit but not too much beyond the Darwin. So, I put an under-laod test on the EMDCC/6V combo to find that under-load it is driving 4.7 volts (from 6.4V unloaded). That 1.7 voltage drop-off is a substantial drop but understandable. Dual coil (parallel) demands extremely high Amps. This combo drained the 500 mAh LifePO4 batts in about 1.5 hours.

Next experiment was to try on the same unregulated GGTB with 2x AW IMR 16340. These are 3.7 volt batts that come off charger at 4.2 so stacked in series produces 8.4 unloaded. Under load reading is 5.4 volts. Again, HUGE under-load drop. This one surprised me a bit more as IMR batts have dramatically higher max Amps draw capacity. The vapor production is almost chokingly thick. Full flavor and no burning taste. I can only take about a 2 second draw and get more vapor than I have ever experienced. It is the most intense vaping I have experienced to date. Even tho the AW IMR 16340 is only 550 mAh, I am getting about 3 hours of batts life. I attribute this batt life difference (compared to the LifePO4s) to the much higher max amp draw capacity of the IMR batts.

WARNINGS, If you are a 3.7 vapor with little or no HV experience, I would NOT recommend these High Voltage combinations! However, for those experienced with HV vaping, this is certainly an interesting experience. I have tried other dual coils on 6V and find they can perform wonderfully. This EMDCC on HV out-performs them all (so far). However, take note, this level of intense vaping will use LOTS of juice. You can easily vape the juice faster than it can wick. So, after a few hits - put it down for a few minutes. I also find I am topping off the carto much more often than one would expect to on a 4ml capacity carto. Final warning: Due to the extremely high Amps demand of Daul Coils, these WILL DRAIN BATTS MUCH FASTER THAN SINGLE COILS (this applies to any/all batteries).

Using this on Darwin at 4.7 volts is still an AWESOME vaping experience, a bit less intense than the IMR unregulated and requires less frequent top-off(s) but still fantastic vaping. Due to Darwin's unprecedented battery power and safety features, I will use the EMDCC on Darwin. Occasionally, if I want a REALLY INTENSE vaping experience, I may (RARELY) go back to the unregulated GGTB and IMRs combo but this is EXTREMELY INTENSE VAPING and I do NOT recommend it for ANY OTHER THAN THE MOST ADVANCED AND EXPERIENCED VAPOR(S).

I do not care for the soft rubber mouthpiece at all. So, I will try Phantom's recommendation and see if I can find some of the Ego Mega Atty dummy carts. If those are the same shiny hard black plastic whistle-tips material, as used on the 801 series attys and the 901 carts, that is the best mouth-piece material IMHO. So far it is one of only 2 mouth-piece materials I have seen that do not get gunky/lip-cheese. Hopefully, I'll find that the Ego Mega dummy carts are that same hard shiny black plastic material and I think that will make the EMDCC MUCH better. {I wish I could find a 510 whistle-tip made out of that material that would fit regular carto tubes (510/808 - same size as my favored Boge 801/fusion)}.

6. ThreePutt

ThreePutt Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2011
    DFW Texas
    My first Mega gave up the ghost, after about three weeks of use. Actually, it didn't give up the ghost, as it was still working, but the draw was hard... very gunked up. I did a couple of 15 minute boils and refreshing bath with Everclear, and it still was clogged when I blew the alcohol out. I pulled out another Mega, and took a draw (no juice, battery.. just drew on the carto) and it was wide open. I don't think there's anything that's going to ungunk the mega, unless I dissect it. Nah... it went in the trash. A new Mega was filled and the first hit was a doozy. I was so used to the old Mega and hard draws. One heckuva vape!

Iffy has commented on the cleaning effects. I'll probably use a shorter cleaning rotation - no more three-week vapes anymore!

7. Mindfield

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I can attest that eGo mega empty carts work just fine on the EMDCC. Good snug fit, but it may bump up against or possibly press slightly into the filler. I do find it seems to tighten the draw just a tad, and maybe it's just my imagination, but the flavour seems weakened a bit, too.

8. NebulaBrot

May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    Mindfield and/or Phantom (or perhaps someone else),
    I do not have the Ego Mega atty carts to try (yet). Saw some pics and they look to have a matt finish so I am not sure I want to drop the $$s to buy some to try. But, I had a thought and wonder if one of you who already have them might try an experiment? I wonder if you leave the cart filler material in the cart, and fill it with juice, if it might wick to the carto and thereby increase the capacity of the carto? If it works, could be a huge capacity increase. I do not vape 8ml/day but the thought of added capacity is intriguing. When running these at higher volts, they use LOTS more juice.

If anyone decides to try this, please let me know how it goes.
    T.I.A.
    :toast:

9. Mindfield

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I don't think that would work. Even aside from the question of wicking and the possibility of the liquid in the cart dripping down and overfilling the carto causing leakage, if the cart and soaked filler did make contact with the filler in the carto, it would block the air intake tube.

10. NebulaBrot

May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    Guess I'll have to take your word for it as I do not have them to experiment. I never liked carts to begin with but realize some people do. I tried every cart modification, in my early days of vaping, and none worked very well.

Theoretically, the airflow thru the cart material is not a blockage and the air-intake thru the carto comes thru the connector - not the top - in theory, it could possibly work. So, I am having some difficulty picturing how the airflow would be blocked. As for flooding, that certainly IS a possibility/probability but I just wondered (thus expressed as an experiment) if used at higher voltage if the dramatic increase in juice usage could possibly prevent flooding (granted - unlikely). At HV, the 2 coils vaporize a LOT of juice. What gave me the idea is the carto tanks that fill thru a hole in the side of the carto. But, these too can flood if the air seal of the tank is lost.

Perhaps I'll throw up a C'fieds post to see if someone wants to trade a new cart just to play with but at $6+ for a box of carts plus ship, I'm just not that motivated to try this. Thanks for your thoughts.

11. Mindfield

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The air intake comes through holes at the battery end, yes, but it then goes through a tube through the center of the filler in the carto where the coils are. (The filler is actually wrapped around the coils)

12. NebulaBrot

May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    Yes, thanks - I realize that. Ultimately, airflow should not be much different than an atty with a filled cart on top of it. I have studied airflow extensively and even posted on comparing various adapters (within same model) relative to airflow.

As I said, I was not convinced it would work (thus experiment) but I do see flooding as more of a potential problem than airflow.

13. Mindfield

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The thing about attys and carts though is that atomizers get the air from holes underneath the coil, where it flows up past the coil and around the bridge and wick to two indented channels on either side of the cart and out through the hole in the end of the cart. The filler doesn't get in the way because it's in the middle of the airflow. Beyond the intake holes in above the threads on the Cartomizers, there's only one channel for air to flow through, which is down the center. If you block that, you're basically going to be trying to suck air through the liquid-soaked filler. If you don't block it, the filler in the cart won't make contact with the filler in the carto and thus won't wick. (It may drip some if left vertical)

Just for the heck of it though I just did a little experiment by plugging up the center hole from the top with a silicone nipple I got stuck into the end of a Bauway carto. Sure enough, it was like trying to suck a melon through a straw.

14. NebulaBrot

May 6, 2010
    in the NEBULA
    Again, thanks. I'll take your word for it - was just a quick curiosity thought. I really did not look at it very closely. Most of my other cartos have that hole slightly recessed and I assumed the airflow could find its way around. Either way, thanks for your thoughts.

15. Mindfield

Aug 28, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    No problem. It's an interesting idea (though maybe a little overkill -- a single fill of these things last me a day and a half!) but you'd really have to jury rig some kind of alternate air channel down the sides and bent to the center hole at the bottom if you wanted to get this to work. You could probably get this to work if they made these cartos in clear plastic that you could pry off like the 510 DCCs, but it would be difficult trying to get it to work without being able to disassemble the carto.

16. PhantomII

PhantomII Full Member

Actually, I've already done just that. I had an atty/cart I was using and got disgusted with the burned filler taste every few hits so I filled an EMDCC with the same flavor juice and just stuck the full cart on top of it.
    I does restrict the airflow somewhat but not by a great deal, and the cart does wick into the atty. The cart never went bone dry but it did extend the capacity of the carto although if you consider the difference in capacity between the cart and the EMDCC, the increase is only marginal.

I haven't repeated this experiment with another carto, but for what it's worth I still have the filler in the cart I tried and it still works just fine, although I haven't tried refilling the cart.

Your mileage may vary.

17. wizard10000

wizard10000 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 14, 2011
    midwestern us
    Another added benefit is I've cut down significantly on my paper towel bill. I've found a shot glass works pretty well to hold these things while I'm messing with them :D

18. WVvet

WVvet Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 11, 2011
    WV
    Threw one of these on a MV order a couple weeks ago and am now spoiled for anything else! What am I gonna do with my Liquinator now??? Seriously, this is the easiest and most satisfying vape I have found AND I have had to reduce my nic from 24 to 18 with it, and still getting OD if I use it too much! Using much less juice and less waste on spills etc.

19. VadimGod

VadimGod Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2011
    brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the idea...couldnt find my piece but i took an empty tank atty popped off the bottom and it works well.

20. VadimGod

VadimGod Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2011
    brooklyn, NY
    Had a use question for you guys. I would love to have this one carto for all day so i dont have to carry around abottle...my concern is even if it has 5 mil of juice for all day...wouldnt it start to be dry and burn when i've used up a mil or 2? i feel the need to keep dripping in whenever the top of the filler looks dry, which kinda kills the point for me...am i being too touchy? is it pretty safe to let it dry out a touch?

im pretty new to cartos...i got the clear one of these, so im ultra aware when it starts to dry out a bit.

any advice or insight would be much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.