EHPRO Kayfun Lite Plus dry-hit/burnt taste issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathology

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Vienna, IL
Okay, got it working flawlessly.

The problem wasn't my building (thank the lawd...this was making me think I'd lost my touch lol..). Turns out that mu channels were too shallow (as pointed out on another forum from the pics I posted there), so I broke out the trusty ole dremmel and shaved a then layer off the length of the entire channel. Vapes like a dream now :)

I was so afraid to shave up the channel where the threads for the chamber are located because I was afraid it'd mess them up and I wouldn't be able to screw the chamber back on. Ironically, the chamber screws on smoother now!

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I've got her working now with no dry hits and no gurgling for 3 builds and 3 tanks full of juice (only rebuilt to test to make SURE she was working), so I guess I'm all set. I quite like the thing now lol. Still like my TGT a bit more, but maybe the $175 I spent on that makes me a bit biased lol.

Thanks again!

..Sent from the vape lair..

painkiller0007

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2013
PA
I would like to thank everyone in this thread as well. I put my ehpro kayfun and hcigar kayfun 3.1 away for about two weeks now due to the dry/burnt/wicking issues.....they are now back in operation and my protank can take a break. I had my coils too close to the decks and was using too much cotton and blocking my holes. Zero leaks now perfect hits and now I won't be wasting anymore juice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

BK_Malik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Okay, got it working flawlessly.

The problem wasn't my building (thank the lawd...this was making me think I'd lost my touch lol..). Turns out that mu channels were too shallow (as pointed out on another forum from the pics I posted there), so I broke out the trusty ole dremmel and shaved a then layer off the length of the entire channel. Vapes like a dream now :)

I was so afraid to shave up the channel where the threads for the chamber are located because I was afraid it'd mess them up and I wouldn't be able to screw the chamber back on. Ironically, the chamber screws on smoother now!

Anyway, thanks for all your help. I've got her working now with no dry hits and no gurgling for 3 builds and 3 tanks full of juice (only rebuilt to test to make SURE she was working), so I guess I'm all set. I quite like the thing now lol. Still like my TGT a bit more, but maybe the $175 I spent on that makes me a bit biased lol.

Thanks again!

..Sent from the vape lair..

What did you use to do the shaving? If you used a drill bit what size? If not a drill bit can you post a pic of the attachment that you used? Thanks!

Big shout out to Yuckman. I appreciate the pictures.

Picked up an Hcigar Kayfun 3.1 about 2 weeks ago and at first I could get it working flawlessley. I though damn this thing is nice. But latley its been giving me dry hits. Your pictures helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. My coil was way to close to the air hole and too much cotton. I really thought I was losing my mind. Thanks again. Much appreicated!

adamfoul

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Stoke-On-Trent, England
4) Don't twist your cotton, I just lightly pat it down and pull just enough of it through the coil so that it goes through without having to hold the coil in place. It doesn't fall out, but will move easily through the coil when tension is applied.

Cheers, just tried this and it sorted it for me. Also had to use a larger diameter coil than usual. I was using a nano coil wrapped round an 18g needle (same as my dripper setup), got one now wrapped on a 2mm (5/64) drill bit, just because I couldn't get the cotton through anything much smaller without twisting it.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I got an original Kayfun Lite+ and loved it so much that I got a R91 and an EHpro clone too. At first I had trouble getting a 2mm coil working without dry hits. I use a 2.5mm coil and they all wick perfectly. Endless chain vape of 100% VG. I even use VG based flavorings and undiluted VG, so my liquid is very thick.

1) I use 2.5mm coils. Don't block the air channels, but if that doesn't work try a bigger coil. You can cut extra wick to the length of the coil so it doesn't tuck into the liquid channels. Air needs to be able to reach the channels for the vacuum to work properly, and it's just easier for it if it doesn't have to go through a bunch of liquid and wick.

2) The wick must go all the way to the bottom of the deck right next to the liquid channels.

3) Lower your volts, increase coil resistance, or try a different flavor. The Kayfun amplifies taste. It's possible that you're just running it too hot and burning your liquid. You may have never noticed before because you just couldn't taste it on other tanks.

4) Don't twist your cotton, I just lightly pat it down and pull just enough of it through the coil so that it goes through without having to hold the coil in place. It doesn't fall out, but will move easily through the coil when tension is applied.

5) Get in there and clean the oil out of it. They all have residual oil that will taste like a burnt/dry hit when you get them, even the genuine KFL+. It's hard to get out and takes a good amount of cleaning to get it off.

Click on the pics to expand
View attachment 306877

I can see the liquid channels, so I know they're not blocked.

View attachment 306900

The wick goes all the way to the base by the liquid channels.

View attachment 306902

Might want to make sure that not too much of the wick touches the upper deck, otherwise you may get flooding.
I do wicks EXACTLY like yours on my genuine RFK+ and R91, and still get dry/burnt hits after a few. Have to keep priming it and it's a PITA.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
ive been using KFL lite clones for a few weeks and just today 2 of them started giving some dry burning hits-- i had not changed the wicks in a few days--i assume it must be wicks getting clogged up after a few tanks

That's almost certainly it.

It's different with different juices too. Some juices I can go a week or more without having to re-wick, others I need to re-wick every other tank full.

They will definitely start to taste funky, and then shortly thereafter you'll start getting dry hits because the wick is gunked up enough to make it so that it can't wick to the coil fast enough.

Taylor7617

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Humble, Texas, United States
I got an original Kayfun Lite+ and loved it so much that I got a R91 and an EHpro clone too. At first I had trouble getting a 2mm coil working without dry hits. I use a 2.5mm coil and they all wick perfectly. Endless chain vape of 100% VG. I even use VG based flavorings and undiluted VG, so my liquid is very thick.

1) I use 2.5mm coils. Don't block the air channels, but if that doesn't work try a bigger coil. You can cut extra wick to the length of the coil so it doesn't tuck into the liquid channels. Air needs to be able to reach the channels for the vacuum to work properly, and it's just easier for it if it doesn't have to go through a bunch of liquid and wick.

2) The wick must go all the way to the bottom of the deck right next to the liquid channels.

3) Lower your volts, increase coil resistance, or try a different flavor. The Kayfun amplifies taste. It's possible that you're just running it too hot and burning your liquid. You may have never noticed before because you just couldn't taste it on other tanks.

5) Get in there and clean the oil out of it. They all have residual oil that will taste like a burnt/dry hit when you get them, even the genuine KFL+. It's hard to get out and takes a good amount of cleaning to get it off.

Click on the pics to expand
View attachment 306877

I can see the liquid channels, so I know they're not blocked.

View attachment 306900

The wick goes all the way to the base by the liquid channels.

View attachment 306902

Might want to make sure that not too much of the wick touches the upper deck, otherwise you may get flooding.

I just rec'd an EhPro Kayfun Lite + (v2) and my juice channels are no where near as deep as pictured. I can just barely see the channels when screwing on the inner chimney tube (does this have a technical name?). Have only done one build on it and it isn't impressing me as of yet. Right now, my rebuilt PT2's with AFC as a base is seriously outperforming this KF clone. Maybe I need to dremel out the channels just a bit.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I just rec'd an EhPro Kayfun Lite + (v2) and my juice channels are no where near as deep as pictured. I can just barely see the channels when screwing on the inner chimney tube (does this have a technical name?). Have only done one build on it and it isn't impressing me as of yet. Right now, my rebuilt PT2's with AFC as a base is seriously outperforming this KF clone. Maybe I need to dremel out the channels just a bit.

I would HIGHLY suggest experimenting with different builds and wicking before you bust out the dremel or drill. I use the same atty and it performs great one you get it dialed in.

Watch this video and copy it exactly. It's easy, and it works.

MJ12

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
<snip>Watch this video and copy it exactly. It's easy, and it works.

I'd been having similar issues with my KFL... first few toots are great, then start getting dry, harsh hits. As previously mentioned, a temporary fix was to cover the air hole on the base, then take 2-3 hard toots to saturate the wicks, get 3-4 good vapes, rinse and repeat. That process was becoming a PITA very quickly. One thing worth mentioning here... this problem didn't occur until I switched from 50/50 to 100% VG.

Up until I watched the aforementioned video, I'd been building my KFL with either 32 or 30 ga. Kanthal, I forget how many wraps, around a 1/16" drill bit. Switching to 28 ga. Kanthal wrapped on a 1.4mm screwdriver, and wicking with about a 6mm strip of KGD seems to have fixed the problem. That build is reading 1.7Ω, just about the sweet spot for my KFL and Unicorn Custard juice. No more dry, harsh hits. I do get a very slight gurgle when I first take a toot, but it's gone within a second or two as I continue to draw, and no juice in my mouth either. I don't really mind that bit of gurgle, it's a good indicator that the hit will not be dry. Other than that, I think I'm good to go. Thanks for posting the link. It really helped! :toast:

Last edited:

chiliphil1

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Barnesville, ga
I am so glad I found this thread!! I just got an EHpro kayfun today and wound my first coil and ended up with horrid burnt taste, wrapped a second one with the same problem. I took it back to the shop and watched the owner wrap it, it worked well for about 20 mins and started to dry hit again. I found this thread and looked in the chimney to see that half of the wick had broken off (cotton) due to being jammed so tightly into the coil. I wrapped my 3rd one based on the pictures shared on this thread, I used 30g kanthal 8 wraps around a small screwdriver, ended up with 2.5ohm. I lifted the coil high over the air hole and left it's inner diameter big enough so that the cotton slides in and out easily, I also left just enough to touch the deck and not block the air holes, so far so good, my 3rd attempt and it's better than the one the vape shop owner made.. I am beyond happy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread