Ekowool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
The TWIK cotton core Ekowool is 3mm OD (outside diameter), but the hollow is measured on the ID (inside diameter) so the 3mm hollow is bigger.

I still havent tried the TWIK I got. After all I've read and how heavy I tend to vape, not to mention I use a lot of thick juice, I think I'll just use the Ekowool for drippers

Thanks for that info Killjoy. And BTW, are you following me? :lol:

dmall

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
New Orleans, La
Yeah I agree, at least with my experience also. I had many positive experiences but it just wasn't consistent enough for me. I really wish it wicked faster because it's very nice to coil and work with, but it's just not silica. I'm trying the cotton hemp yarn tonight on a setup that I have high hopes for judging on Bishops experience. I've boiled a lot of it and will report back when I vape it for a bit.
I wonder if there is any sort of hollow cord like the ekowool but made of cotton/hemp? Not sure if hollow is better or not though.

I was thinking,(OMG that's scary) anyway, do you think that you could thread some hemp or cotton thru the hollow ekowool and the ekowool would protect the hemp or cotton from burning? That way you could still have the wicking of the hemp/cotton. Just a thought.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I was thinking,(OMG that's scary) anyway, do you think that you could thread some hemp or cotton thru the hollow ekowool and the ekowool would protect the hemp or cotton from burning? That way you could still have the wicking of the hemp/cotton. Just a thought.

I've done that with 3mm hollow ekowool and 1mm cotton braid. It was a short piece so wouldn't fit in my Penny and I don't know which mod I put it in so I can't tell you how it vapes. :facepalm: I stretched out the ekowool but the cotton was still hard to get through. I'll have to give it another go.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I got silica through the ekowool, I'm sure you can get cotton hemp through.. What I did was I put the ekowool on a needle and then taped the end of the silica really tight so the diameter was as small as possible, then taped that to the end of the hollow needle and just pulled the ekowool over. I posted a more detailed explanation back in this thread if you look for it, but it was fairly easy once I figured it out.
And I know this isn't quite related, but wow this cotton hemp yarn is amazing so far.. If it stays this nice I'm fully converted!

drewwats

Aug 17, 2013
DFW
And this is Martha Stewart cotton hemp yarn? Anxious to hear results of your extended testing.

I spent the last couple hours reading this thread and finally got to the end.

I've been using the 2mm hollow ekowool for a few weeks now without any issues. Currently running dual (parallel) coils in the Ithaka, with wick all the way down all channels, and vaping some thick DIY'd juice. The only issue I have ran into is when I had wrapped a coil too tight and it was restricting the juice where the coil heats. But with a looser wrap, it wicks great. Taste has been great, not as much break-in period compared to regular silica, and it definitely doesn't wear as badly.

Everyone's experiences seem to be varied, but I thought I'd offer mine. I am going to be testing the Krinkle soon though to see how all the hype holds up! And Subver has me curious about the hemp yarn...

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
And this is Martha Stewart cotton hemp yarn? Anxious to hear results of your extended testing.

Yup, white Martha Stewart Cotton Hemp yarn... vaped very very good all night, I will update as I vape more, though.. but seriously very impressed. Would love if this stayed a great wick, it's so cheap for a huge roll of it!

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Huge fan of this cotton hemp yarn, wow. Still vaping great, no flooding, no dry hits, taste is delicious, it wicks high VG juice amazingly - I think I'm converted, I would take this over silica/ekowool. The only thing is wrapping the coils with limp yarn can be a little more work, but not too bad!

I'm gonna try 2 strands instead of 3 next time, so that might be easier to wrap.

Highly recommended! I've heard peopel say it tastes bad, but I boiled it for 10 minutes and notice zero cotton or hemp taste. You can start to taste cotton when it gets dry (well, slightly dry.. I vaped it a ton with the mouthpiece closed - it holds a lot of juice!), but it is a very very light flavor, just enough to know you need to open juice control a little. Nothing like an unexpected dry burn on silica.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Yeah I didn't think much about the dry burning - I honestly never do that so it's not a downside to me, but that's definitely something to consider if you dry burn!
I'm not sure on the safety of cotton and/or hemp but I feel like it's relatively safe - I remember reading about it being safe but I have no sources or anything like that. I would like to know this as well, though.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I know this is an ekowool thread, but just wondering if you guys knew if this was too tight for cotton hemp yarn:

8JMez8j.jpg

I just wanna make sure my next build is perfect.. I know cotton expands a lot so I'm trying to find the perfect gauge needle to wrap the coil with.

I used a 20 gauge needle to wrap with the cotton hemp yarn

Last edited:

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Ekowool..Shmekowool. I don't think Ekowool is the next best thing that is going to last forever. It works good with the right set up. But then again, so do other types of wicks.

Right now I'm using cotton in the Penelope. I did learn the Mr Krinkle method through this thread from using Ekowool. The Twik Ekowool with cotton core is what I used and the wick lasted about a week and a half. I found some silica I forgot I had so when this cotton dies I will try the Mr Krinkle set up with normal silica.

Some say there is better flavor with Ekowool. I pretty much get the same flavor using cotton. And both of those wicks eventually die out.

I also use a 1/8 gauge needle when wrapping coils around Eko or cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread