Not open for further replies.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Thanks yankee. I was hoping it wasn't too tight or anything.. I've got 4 coils all wrapped nicely around this cotton hemp yarn. I'm hoping the 2 strands perform better than my current 3 strand setup.

It wicks great but I almost think it holds too much juice (if that is the issue, I don't know) because it takes a second or two to start heating up (at .65ohm) - otherwise it vaped amazingly and I'm sticking to this cotton hemp until I find better (have my eye on some hemp twine that will be back in stock in 2-3 weeks, I hear great things).

And yeah.. I'm pretty much over ekowool - BUT if I did a lot of dry burning I know I would have a different view. I would rather just rebuild with a fresh wick, I never had good results with dry burning, which is probably due to my juices.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
How does cotton last as long as ekowool or silica since you cannot dry burn it?

That's a good question and that's the beauty of ekowool. It last way longer than cotton and you can dry burn it. I use both cotton braid and ekowool in my Pennys and they both give way better flavor than silica but the cotton only lasts a few days and really darkens my juice quickly where ekowool doesn't.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
That's a good question and that's the beauty of ekowool. It last way longer than cotton and you can dry burn it. I use both cotton braid and ekowool in my Pennys and they both give way better flavor than silica but the cotton only lasts a few days and really darkens my juice quickly where ekowool doesn't.

I would be ecstatic if the ekowool I used wicked as good as this cotton hemp yarn. Maybe when I make my next batch of juice I'll make it a bit thinner and try ekowool again. 80vg/20pg didn't wick that great on ekowool for me.. Krinkle method worked pretty good though. I still want to try the cotton core TWIK and smaller diameter hollow ekowool (I used 2mm hollow)

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I would be ecstatic if the ekowool I used wicked as good as this cotton hemp yarn. Maybe when I make my next batch of juice I'll make it a bit thinner and try ekowool again. 80vg/20pg didn't wick that great on ekowool for me.. Krinkle method worked pretty good though. I still want to try the cotton core TWIK and smaller diameter hollow ekowool (I used 2mm hollow)

I use 100% VG diluted with 4% DW and it wicks great for me but then I don't have my mod in my mouth constantly but I do tend to chain vape at my PC. The Krinkle method really helped but where it helped the most is I don't have to open the juice control as far on my Penny. I haven't tried the cotton core yet but the hollow ekowool is working so good I don't know if I'll try it.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I use 100% VG diluted with 4% DW and it wicks great for me but then I don't have my mod in my mouth constantly but I do tend to chain vape at my PC. The Krinkle method really helped but where it helped the most is I don't have to open the juice control as far on my Penny. I haven't tried the cotton core yet but the hollow ekowool is working so good I don't know if I'll try it.

Interesting - what size ekowool?
After like 2 days I started getting good wicking, but it was inconsistent for me.. sometimes it would flood, sometimes I would get a dry burn.. after a while it evened out, but right off the bat I had a lot of issues. Maybe one day I will try smaller diameter ekowool if it'll help.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Interesting - what size ekowool?
After like 2 days I started getting good wicking, but it was inconsistent for me.. sometimes it would flood, sometimes I would get a dry burn.. after a while it evened out, but right off the bat I had a lot of issues. Maybe one day I will try smaller diameter ekowool if it'll help.

I use 2mm ekowool and 2mm square braided cotton in my Penny's. I never get a dry hit unless I don't have the juice control open far enough and the reverse with flooding. You could probably get away with using 1.5mm ekowool in the Penny.

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
I use 2mm ekowool and 2mm square braided cotton in my Penny's. I never get a dry hit unless I don't have the juice control open far enough and the reverse with flooding. You could probably get away with using 1.5mm ekowool in the Penny.

Hm, then maybe it's the difference between me using an Ithaka - maybe the dual coils burned juice up faster than the ekowool could wick?
I'd love to get better use out of this ekowool!

dokebilee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Queens, NY
Sorry for the lack of update guys, working a lot and making that money. Here is what happened for the last couple of days,

I switched over to cotton from Ekowool and the German-made silica wick, and I believe that cotton is much better and a cheaper alternative. I've been using 100% sterile cotton balls for about 2 weeks now and the flavor is much much cleaner, wicks well, and holds a lot of liquid. The only drawback is that you have to judge for yourself on how thick you make your cotton rolls. I make it thick enough that it is not tight at all and not too loose in the coil. This is important because cotton will expand when it is in contact with liquid, and if you make your cotton wick too thick, it will choke the coil and you will get a burnt/dry hit. Once you get a burnt hit, you will need to switch out the cotton wick with a new one.

Another reason why I switched to cotton is because of the ease of reusing the coil. With Ekowool or Silica wicks, it is more difficult to pull them out once they are worn out, and you will get a bunch of silica particles that remain in the coil. With cotton, you can just slide the worn out one with a new cotton wick and reuse the same coil.

A typical cotton wick will last a week before you need to change it out. It really depends on the coil and the voltage you're running at. For me, a 1.5ohm microcoil at 3.7v with a cotton wick will last me for about a week. After a week, I'll remove the used cotton wick and slide in a new one while using the same old coil. Remember to dry burn the old coil first before putting in the new cotton wick.

Last edited:

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Hey dokebilee, you should really try this Martha Stewart cotton hemp yarn that I've been using (thanks to Bishop) if you haven't already. I'm in love!

And I've been thinking about reusing my coils, but I don't know how I would do it with an Ithaka dual coil setup... I don't think I could get to the bottom coil to thread the cotton/hemp - any ideas on that? I suppose you could always rotate one out, so remove the bottom coil, thread the top coil and add another one (so the top coil now becomes the bottom) - if that makes sense? Not sure how it would realistically work out, though!

Amazon Link - it was only like $3-4 when I bought it, but still fairly cheap for a lot of wick! You can probably find it cheaper at Michaels or WalMart or some other craft store I bet.

drewwats

Aug 17, 2013
DFW
Hm, then maybe it's the difference between me using an Ithaka - maybe the dual coils burned juice up faster than the ekowool could wick?
I'd love to get better use out of this ekowool!

I have had better ekowool luck with dual wick single coil setup on the ithaka. I think you're on to something. With single coil though, haven't experienced any issues at all...

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
With putting the Eko through the paces. For me the Eko build lasted about the same amount of time as cotton. So for the price they are asking, for a couple of feet of Eko compared to a whole bag of cotton balls...or Martha Stewart Cotton Hemp Yarn it's really a no-brainer.

But don't let me discourage anyone from trying Ekowool. You may have more success with Ekowool than me.

Like J.G. Wentworth says "It's your money/life. Use it when you need it."

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Are you using the Martha Stewart cotton hemp? I just setup a .7ohm dual coil with 2 strands of the yarn, one down the channels... It's vaping absolutely amazingly.. Much better than the 3 strand I did before. I'm sold, I'll be using this over silica I think!

Yea. The MS cotton/hemp. But for the life of my I couldn't remember how I set this up months ago when I tried. So I used two strands all around. In channels and coils. I had to boil it up as I cut fresh off the spool.

I figured I'd start there and adjust. I can't even believe I'm back at more testing. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread