Status
Not open for further replies.

h00ligan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2015
London, UK
...with the device on. Doing the above with the device off will flip the display. ;)

I wanted to say thanks for adding this. My screen got flipped inadvertently and I could t recall how. Googled. Your response came up the tip and resolved the issue in a moment.

Power off. +- at the same time for screen flip. Perfect. The one thing I hadn't tried. Anyway cheers for that.

Reactions: TrollDragon

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Arctic Fox Firmware now works on the Pico, adds a fair bit of options, including profiles, , smooth pre-heat, device monitor similar to Evolve Escribe software.

GitHub - maelstrom2001/ArcticFox: Custom Firmware for Joyetech, Wismec and Eleaf battery mods
Thanks for the tip. Before I dive in, do you know if it can reset the puff timer? The other interesting thing you mention is device monitoring. Are you sure it can do that on the pico and do you know what data it gathers? There would need to be a way to get it off the chip onto a computer. Otherwise my pico works fine.

Reactions: Fullknight

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Thanks for the tip. Before I dive in, do you know if it can reset the puff timer? The other interesting thing you mention is device monitoring. Are you sure it can do that on the pico and do you know what data it gathers? There would need to be a way to get it off the chip onto a computer. Otherwise my pico works fine.

Here are some screen shots of the PC end of it, yes you can change puff counter, info which is displayed on screen by mode, power curves by wire type. This barely touches the surface of available options, it is really quite amazing. I'm still playing with it, much to learn yet. I've included a screen shot of the device monitor in process.

Some of the available options:
tuIX5k1.jpg
S6TBCjD.jpg

1N5MQQ8.jpg
Vxdfddv.jpg

Live screen dump of monitor:

CQhrrQe.jpg

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Yay! Geeky stuff for all (JT users). :p

I became more interested when MyEvic added Escribe-like live monitoring, but this seems to be a nice next step in terms of display cleanliness. I expect we'll see a welcome feature war between them. ;)

Don't be surprised if SMOK joins in in '17... with BT connectivity as well.
Look out P4Y. :D

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Here are some screen shots of the PC end of it, yes you can change puff counter, info which is displayed on screen by mode, power curves by wire type. This barely touches the surface of available options, it is really quite amazing. I'm still playing with it, much to learn yet. I've included a screen shot of the device monitor in process.

Some of the available options:

Live screen dump of monitor:
I'm impressed. It's got my attention. I wonder why eleaf doesn't provide this? Clearly they could if they want to.

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
I'm impressed. It's got my attention. I wonder why eleaf doesn't provide this? Clearly they could if they want to.

"... if they want to"
It might not be economically viable in their position as a commercial entity.

Would the customers like it? Almost certainly.
Would it increase their market share? Debatable, they're already top-tier in sales.
Enough to pay for the staff hours (don't forget support)? Maybe, maybe not.

And if it's unstable, performs badly or worst case bricks the mod... they're on the hook for that.
(how they survived and bounced back from the i30 & i50 debacles is still a mystery to me)

They don't need a splashy product like this the way a small start-up entry to the market would.
Perhaps... perhaps... better to leave it to the enthusiastic "civilian" programmer(s).

Just IMO.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I have put the ArcticFox firmware on both my Pico and Cuboid. I'm liking the way this one performs over the MyEvic firmware.
Really liking it on my rx200 but seems I have to increase the temperature in comparison with the stock firmware. Do you use ss and have you noticed the same?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
What about battery life? I'm trying this out on an old VTC Mini. Running a TFV4 with a 316L clapton coil about .48 ohms, 430 deg, around 40 watts. Seems to drain my battery faster than the stock firmware.
If the battery is draining faster that would be because more watts are hitting the coil and making more vapor. The energy doesn't evaporate into thin air.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Really liking it on my rx200 but seems I have to increase the temperature in comparison with the stock firmware. Do you use ss and have you noticed the same?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
I run the Ultimo with it's SS notch coils on the Cuboid. I have tried SS, SS316L and TCR of 92 with the new firmware. Running at 480F/75W I find the TCR setting to have the least power throttling. I'll have to put the stock firmware back on for a comparison.

Reactions: KenD

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
What about battery life? I'm trying this out on an old VTC Mini. Running a TFV4 with a 316L clapton coil about .48 ohms, 430 deg, around 40 watts. Seems to drain my battery faster than the stock firmware.
Both the MyEvic and ArcticFox firmware chew through the battery power. With the clock being software only, the ASIC would never go into the same low power state as it would with stock firmware. There might be some info about power consumption on both project pages.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
super computer illiterate here....someone care to take the time and direct me to how to get the device monitor part of this? what program do i need for it? so far i have 161224 installed on my pico, liking the menu options thus far, just want to toy around with device monitor. please be gentle, as if you were explaining how to use the new TV remote control to your 80 year old grandma. thanks!

edit......i am using NFE V6.3 if that counts for anything....
edit2......i found it, didn't realize NFEtoolbox was a separate app included in the NFE download. neat stuff, almost like EScribe's device monitor.
pico device monitor.png

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
I was wondering how to take hits at 60+ watts with my Pico because of how quickly the draw becomes too hot to keep my mouth on the mouthpiece.

After playing around with TC settings and finding no solution I finally decided to just try taking in a harder draw in the upper wattages and ... success! Now I know how to draw appropriately at higher wattages with my Pico.

WOW!!! @EMusic...what a vaper!!! (Although I often miss sarcasm...:shock:)

Another way to keep it from getting "too hot" is to lower your Watts...

I'm a MTL vaper...and most of my Mods will go to at least 75Watts...

But I vape in the 8W-12W range (and infrequently have hit 15W)...

[Mainly use Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tanks with 1.0Ω CLR coils.]

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

EMusic

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2016
Encino, CA
WOW!!! @EMusic...what a vaper!!! (Although I often miss sarcasm...:shock:)

Another way to keep it from getting "too hot" is to lower your Watts...

I'm a MTL vaper...and most of my Mods will go to at least 75Watts...

But I vape in the 8W-12W range (and infrequently have hit 15W)...

[Mainly use Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tanks with 1.0Ω CLR coils.]

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

I've learned a lot since that post. :)

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
Hey guys. Been busy, but I'm on vacation so I decided to check in.

Looks like some major shifts in the vaping industry. Vape shops are already starting to close. I've been meaning to grab another pico or vtc mini/vtwo mini. Looks like they raised the price at Gearbest, but they're cheaper now at Rocky Mountain Vapor. $21 a piece after their new 30% coupon code now.

I think I'll go ahead and get that, just trying to decide if I want silver or grey. I almost bought a flat black one a while back. It looks kinda nice, so I'm thinking. I'm definitely in no rush, but I don't want them to discontinue it or run out. I just need a backup mod that has a replaceable battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread