Electronic Cigarettes: A Safer 'Smoke' or Another Bad Habit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
Wow, WHY do news stories keep using that claim that e-cigs are readily available to minors? It would be so freakin hard to buy an e-cig when you're not 18. I mean yeah you could get an older friend to buy one for you but teens already do this with traditional cigarettes anyway... What's the difference? And I don't know hardly ANYONE under 18 that has their own credit card unless they're rich kids and even then, the credit card has all of your information on it stating that you're under 18. Psh. I mean, am I right? I really don't know all of the rules of credit cards for minors... But I would think...

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
You don't need a credit card - just buy a gift bank card at any Walgreens or bank branch and you can use it like a credit card anywhere.

The important point isn't the "how" it's the "why?"

WHY would kids even want one?

For the candy flavors? A chocolate bar is a heck of a lot cheaper.

For the "coolness" factor? Ecigs may be cooler than a nicotine inhaler, but they aren't cooler than smoking. Kids largely see them as healthier alternatives for adults, which makes them immediately UNCOOL.

For the ease of purchase? How are they easier? Buying a tobacco product from a kiosk wouldn't be any easier than buying a pack of cigarettes from a gas station. And buying them online would require jumping through a bunch of hoops and for what? We've already determined that they aren't very cool to youth in the first place.

For the ease of use? ROFLMAO! Charging, refilling, blowing out attys, leaking, DOA equipment, learning to inhale properly, reordering refills & equipment...need I say more? Cigarettes are much easier to obtain, use and afford and are much more "cool."

For hiding their use? Lack of smell could be a consideration for some youth. But that would only apply to youth who are already smoking and want to hide the use. In that case, which is better? A smoking youth or one using a much safer e-cigarette? Again, that's an awefully determined kid who would go through all of the hassle and expense, just to hide the smell.

For the affordability? Sure, e-cigarettes are cheaper in the long run, but they can have a HUGE upfront expense. Even a cheap one at $35 is pretty costly for just "kicks" for a kid. Then there is trying out different devices and liquids, shipping costs, etc. Most kids would want that money for the latest video game or fashion jeans.

So, what kind of kid are they actually targeting here? A kid who has enough disposable funds that they want to spend it on an e-cigarette instead of the typical video games, cell phones and clothing desired by teens, who wants to try smoking so badly, yet ignores the ease and inexpense of buying cigarettes, who thinks that trying chocolate-flavored nicotine is worth $35 plus the cost of liquid/carts, who still thinks e-cigarettes are cool, even though they are meant to be a "healthier alternative" and who wants to try the product so badly, that he/she goes to the store/bank to get a bank card to buy online. Or a kid who already smokes, who thinks it's worth the upfront costs to continue to hide his/her ALREADY ESTABLISHED nicotine addiction.

I wonder how many kids actually fit that description?

Last edited:
Hmmmm ... let's use the FDA's terminology here:
It might appeal to one rich kid in 2 million ... possibly/maybe/perhaps? :blink:

Since non-combustible tobacco products eliminate at least 95% of the risks of smoking, as long as for every 14-50 (depending on the estimated risk) non-tobacco user who starts using smoke-free alternatives, at least one person switches from smoking...the net impact on public health would be positive.

Imagine if nearly all e-cigarette users were inveterate smokers who had already made multiple attempts to quit using FDA "approved" methods and non-tobacco users that might get interested in e-cigs could use one without nicotine....Oh wait. This is purely speculation, but I imagine that enough people have already switched to e-cigarettes to overcome the harm that would be done if every child under 18 in the country suddenly and inexplicably started using e-cigs with nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread