EU Electronic cigarettes taken off shelves in Ireland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Do any pharmacies in Ireland sell toothpicks? My husband uses those to stay off smoking. Have they been proven safe? Approved by the government for that purpose?

What about chewing gum (regular -- not the stuff containing nicotine). Loads of people use chewing gum to stay off cigarettes. Is chewing gum safe? Is it effective as a smoking cessation method?

And then there are mint candies -- some sugarless, some not. Folks use those, too. They even use fruit-flavored candies.

In case anyone is missing my point, why should a product need to be government approved as a "smoking cessation" treatment to be available for purchase and use by those who are seeking a less hazardous alternative to smoking?

For that matter, there is no such thing as a government-approved less hazardous alternative to smoking. There ARE less hazardous alterantives, but none have the blessings of any government body for that official use.

Last edited:

MattZuke

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2011
A, A
Do they sell cigarettes in pharmacies in the US??

Oh absolutely. It's rare to go down to the chemist and not be able to pickup your asthma medication, prescription or off the shelf, lexmark cartridges, condoms, Tickle me Elmo, favorite cigarettes, and small children's toys that are classed as a choking hazard.

But it is a different culture. Chemists tend to be the size of medium sized grocery stores and have the same utility as mini-marts like 7-Eleven. Actually chemists tend to be cheaper, and there are more of them.

squirrel64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
Va Skyline Drive Shenandoah River
Amazing. The same places that sell all these wonderful products to keep you healthy will throw you a pack of cigarettes in the same bag. The reasoning behind this is really beyond comprehension. And all of the new medicine out behind the counter that have every side effect known to man (including death) are sold to millions everyday. Advertised on television everyday. I really am just amazed by this. They don't seem to want us to be totally healthy for some reason

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Do any pharmacies in Ireland sell toothpicks? My husband uses those to stay off smoking. Have they been proven safe? Approved by the government for that purpose?

What about chewing gum (regular -- not the stuff containing nicotine). Loads of people use chewing gum to stay off cigarettes. Is chewing gum safe? Is it effective as a smoking cessation method?

And then there are mint candies -- some sugarless, some not. Folks use those, too. They even use fruit-flavored candies.

In case anyone is missing my point, why should a product need to be government approved as a "smoking cessation" treatment to be available for purchase and use by those who are seeking a less hazardous alternative to smoking?

For that matter, there is no such thing as a government-approved less hazardous alternative to smoking. There ARE less hazardous alterantives, but none have the blessings of any government body for that official use.

I agree, and to go a bit further, they don't have to be marketed as smoking cessation treatment. They should just be marketed as a different type of product, and if people happen to use them to quit smoking, then so be it....much like the way retailers sell rolling papers as "cigarette papers" when we all know the majority of customers are not using them to really roll cigarettes. They could just change the intent of the e-cig and stop calling it a smoking cessation device! UGH! Many stores will gladly sell you rolling papers or pipes for 'smoking tobacco" when they know full well the people buying it are mostly buying it to roll and smoke their weed.

Last edited:

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
Amazing. The same places that sell all these wonderful products to keep you healthy will throw you a pack of cigarettes in the same bag. The reasoning behind this is really beyond comprehension. And all of the new medicine out behind the counter that have every side effect known to man (including death) are sold to millions everyday. Advertised on television everyday. I really am just amazed by this. They don't seem to want us to be totally healthy for some reason

Yea, it is simply amazing in a very alarmingly negative way.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
More messed up, our CVS sells candy ciggs at the checkout, 24" off the floor :?

I have seen this too, recently. I thought they had been banned? I am seeing them crop up at all kinds of convenience stores and drugstores. I honestly can't believe they are selling those again. For awhile, they had been banned. There is no reason on earth to give a kid a pack of candy cigarettes, and I honestly question the type of parent who would buy them.

Sorry, I should have used multi quote instead of my last three post rant. LOL

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
At least they aren't keeping any product that contains nicotine (like those dissolvable tobacco orbs) close to the floor out on the shelves where children could reach them.

Commit-Shelf.jpg

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread