Status
Not open for further replies.

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
Never boil any carto. Hot water is fine for rinsing the filling, but will do very little for the burnt crap stuck to the coil.

The only method that will clean a coil is dry-burning, and should only be done with horizontal coil cartos with the filling removed. Even then, dry burning is never recommended.

Save your time and effort; spend a little more and get a fresh new carto.

DebiMax

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2011
Texas
You dry burn by removing the filler and sticking the carto onto your batt and hopefully if you have a manual battery, you can just heat the carto until the gunk is burned off. You can only do this with the horizontal cartos and in my opinion, is more trouble than it is worth.

I suppose you could try hydrogen peroxide, but I would imagine that if they are dried out really well that it would leave a nasty taste to your juice.

Best bet is to do a hot water (not BOILING mind, just hot from the tap) soak and let them air dry for a couple of days or bake them on the lowest setting possible for about fifteen-thirty minutes. If they still aren't working well after that, toss them and buy new ones. Five cartos still cost less than 3 packs of smokes and lasts a lot longer as well, especially if you keep them dedicated to one type of juice.

I buy different colored Cartos just for that reason. I can usually get about 4-6 months out of each carto by not cleaning them and keeping the juices seperated by carto color.

STLBluesNut

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
st peters mo
you can just heat the carto until the gunk is burned off. You can only do this with the horizontal cartos and in my opinion

but where does the gunk go? do you need to flush it afterwards?

does the wick need to be completely dry or should it be wet to kind of steam it too?

i have the elite 808 cartos and they are horizontal coils.

STLBluesNut

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
st peters mo
ok i tried to 'dry burn' one of my elite cartos tonite. washed it out real good first then since it was one that the stuffing had recently fallen out of i thought i would give it a try since the coil looked blackened.

blew out most of the water and hit the button for 4 sec each time. got steam which i expected. coil didnt look like it was getting very clean or degunked tho. after a few times i saw the coil start to turn red and burned smoke came out. i stopped at this point. i flushed it again and burned it a bit more.

doesnt seem to have hepled or hurt it.

rolled up half the filler around the center tube and put it back in the carto. filled with juice and it works still. i only put in half the filler cause i wanted it to be a tester and not hold as much juice so less is wasted when i clean it out.

also, in the process i tried to use it like a dripper. dripped a few drops down the side with nothing in the carto. didnt seem to work to well. the juice that didnt come out the hole sputtered and didnt make much vapor or flavor. so tryin to turn one into a drip carto didnt work out as i had hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread