Entering the Mod world

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChariot

Sep 29, 2010
Western NY
Okay mod collectors/nerds/obsessives... I need your help! I've hit a transitional phase since one of my eGo batteries is now dearly departed. I still have a 1000mAH eGo battery and a 510 battery for a backup, but I want to have another sturdy unit around as an alternative/backup. But... I've been thinking that perhaps this is the time to get 1 unit to rule them all and leave the eGo in my center console for a rainy day.

Allow me to stress that I am NOT a collector in any way. I'm an underemployed 20-something that just wants 1 nice purchase that will meet all the specs and keep me from buying anything else in the long run. I do dig many mods out there and have spent hours trying to find something that was a homerun for me, but I can't seem to find it. If I don't I'm just gonna buy a 1000mAH eGo Passthrough battery and call it a day (or a year really, since I know it will crap out on me sooner or later).

Onto the desired specs:

Build Quality: I like to think that most mods have sturdier switches than an eGo, but that's not always the case. Fine machining is something I would appreciate... I've heard good things about the switch quality of the Silver Bullet, GG Mods, etc, and it'd be nice to have something like that.

Portability: The chief reason I don't pick up something like a Silver Bullet is the pure bulk of it. Frankly, the Silver Bullet is the mod I like the most (perfect price point for me), but the size of it is a deal breaker. Seriously... if I can't fit the thing in the pocket of Levi's skinny jeans... fuhgetaboutit. I'm not embarrassed about sucking on a lightsaber in public, I just want to be able to put the thing into my pocket when I walk into a bar on a Friday night. I could deal with something slightly longer and wider than an eGo, and have been drooling :drool: over the structural aesthetics of the GG Slim/Super Slim, for reference. I'd also take something that was fatter, but shorter than most mods (roughly the size of a Copper Mod, for example)

Battery Life: I'd say I'm a moderate vapist. My 1000mAH eGo battery will last me from about 10am to 2am the next morning, and will usually still have a few hours left on it. I find that to be satisfactory, but I'd be open to something in the 2400mAH range, since I feel they're quite common. I'd like to go no less than 1000mAH. I believe this takes the GG Slim out of contention (plus, I'd need to hire a private investigator to find one).

Voltage: I haven't experimented with voltage, and I've been happy at 3.7v with 2.5ohm Bauway 901's... this is been my setup for at least 5 months now. I've used low res attys -- 510's, 306's, and 901's as low as 1.7ohms -- and it's not for me. The big hit is NICE, but I enjoy taking long drags and don't appreciate the extra heat involved. That being said, if I had a mod that could take a 6v battery setup, I would definitely try it out. Same goes with variable voltage... but I couldn't find a VV mod that wasn't the girth of my forearm.

Price: I'd like to keep it under $100, but I'll spend more if it's a perfect fit.

To Summarize
: I feel as though I'm being too picky, but I REALLY just want 1 mod that is my go-to. Sitting at home and vaping a Silver Bullet is all well and good, but I don't want to be bothered with swapping batteries before I leave the house. If I can't land that 1 perfect fit, then I suspect that I will get another eGo battery, and possibly buy a VV Box Mod since it is portable enough to carry around despite it's flimsy nature.

Many thanks for sharing your vast wisdom:smokie:

Jiggity-J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Long Beach, Ca
I honestly think the 1000mah ego is your best bet in terms of what you're looking for. I would recommend a super mini GLV2, but you're limited to cr123a 750mah batteries. The super mini leaves a small print in your pants, maybe a bad thing, haha. Spend about $50 more and your playing field is much more open(Reo Grand, Precise 16340). Having purchased, made box mods from cheap battery boxes, I can say that they don't last very long. I always have a problem with the glue detaching from the battery connector because of juice.

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I'm going to HIGHLY suggest that you take a look at a REO Grand. It's portable, has great battery life, and can be used at; 3.7V, 5V, and 6V. So, it'll give you plenty of choices with what voltage you want. Check out the sub-forum if your curious:

Reos Mods

It's a little over a 100 bucks but, it's made from aircraft aluminum and will last a lifetime.

brianishiwa

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Here's a vote for the Prodigy.

Skinny-jean verified (not by me, but my actually-looks-good-in-skinny-jeans brother) and is svelte, designed to be just large enough to house the 17670 battery within + the top/end caps. It is really, really small relative to other mods. And even though it's ~$35 over budget, you get 2 batteries for 3200mAh of vaping bliss. I can vape a single battery almost an entire day, & that's a DCC 1.5ohm carto. Plus it's mechanical/mechanical locking, so no problems at all with misfires.

EDIT: When I said "3200mAh" I meant the 3.7v "Full Kit", which sounds like what you want to start with. It comes with 2 AW 17670 1600mAh. And since you mentioned it, the Prodigy does take 3v 123A's which you can always buy in the future if you do decide to dabble in some HV action.

Last edited:

froginblender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
hollywood, Fl.
I've read all the posts, i found your thread because i'm trying to read as much pluses or minuses for the 1 of 2 mods i'm gonna buy myself today.
They are both the best pv mods out there, but the price is really reasonable.
Get an INfinity Pro from Notcigs.com...it's longer then 1000 mah ego bat...but it's alot slimer then a SB or other mods that look like your vaping a stick of dynamite! lol

Check it out on youtube...i'm going to be getting his slightly fatter but smaller brother the Buzz Pro...you change the voltage to suit your vaping needs. And they are built to last.

Get yourself a Buzz pro or infinity...try checking out grimmgreen on youtube with his review of the buzz pro....with a drip shield from empiremods..the thing looks awesome! and vapes like a shuttle launched in your grill!

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
People will recommend all kinds of things, there are plusses and minusses to all of them, and this will be a decision you will have to make on your own -- I'm a GG fanboy, there are a lot of REOnauts, Darwiniacs, Provarians, Chuckleheads, etc., and we all love our mods and a good majority has tried most of the other ones before settling on the ones we use. My best recommendation is to attend a vapers meet near you, there will be a number of examples of each mod and you can get the feel and how they're used that way without the long classifieds journey I embarked on personally..........:2c:

TheChariot

Sep 29, 2010
Western NY
People will recommend all kinds of things, there are plusses and minusses to all of them, and this will be a decision you will have to make on your own -- I'm a GG fanboy, there are a lot of REOnauts, Darwiniacs, Provarians, Chuckleheads, etc., and we all love our mods and a good majority has tried most of the other ones before settling on the ones we use. My best recommendation is to attend a vapers meet near you, there will be a number of examples of each mod and you can get the feel and how they're used that way without the long classifieds journey I embarked on personally..........:2c:

haha.... I've definitely had that feeling. My primary hobby is audio/music production, and the same notion applies to engineer preferences regarding audio gear, microphones and things like that.

TheChariot

Sep 29, 2010
Western NY
I must say, you guys do NOT disappoint. Here I am thinking I did a lot of research, and ya'll throw down a bunch of mods that I didn't even check out at all.

While searching for the Mako (which looks great, btw), I found electronicstix.com, where I subsequently discovered the Megalodon. I believe this might be exactly what I was looking for. Seems to be a well-crafted, mechanical and modular design, while offering a diverse array of compatible batteries.

Good showing, guys! Honestly, just about everything that was suggested was worth strong consideration. The Reo looks awesome (especially the bottom feeding design), but I'm less partial to box mods. I have to ask: do bottom feeds work well with standard attys, or are they more practical for use with cartos?

The SD has a killer price point, and the only reason I'm passing on that is because if I'm going to pony up extra for a nice mod, I figured I'd spend $50 extra and get a battery config that will last me (personally) over 2 days. I will probably recommend the SD to my friend who is a part-time vapist.

A couple of questions about the Megalodon:

I read a review on Madvapes for the Trustfire 18350, saying that it barely fits in the Megalodon. I'd prefer to avoid this if/when using the "short" version of the device. I saw that the typical 16340 battery is about 1mm smaller; does this quell the problem and fit the Megalodon telescoping switch more appropriately?

Also, being new to the world of modular PV batteries, I'm unfamiliar with the "High Drain" designation. I noticed this on some 18650 batteries (which would probably be my workhorse), and read a couple of comments about high drain batteries working better in large capacities. Is this true, and how does it effect voltage, battery life, etc?

Thanks again!!

Scotay87

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2011
Pacific North West
When in mini Don mode the 18350s fit fine... Only issue I have found is that when I adjust the screw out to not fire when locking the button is it ever so slightly protrudes from the base of the button making it slightly wobbly when you stand it up... Not a big issue just something I have noticed...

I have the opposite issue when in full Don mode.... With the 18650s I have I had to almost tighten the adjustment screw all the way in to get to the firing point... Easily fixed by using a couple of magnetic battery spacers....

Then Don is a great device that has great options for voltage as well as the two size options.... With the 18650s you get a ton of vape time day and a half for me and I vape pretty heavily... That being said I like the mini Don mode the best very stealthy... 18350 lasts me about 3/4 of the day... But the small size is sweet... about the same length as a standard pen style with a carto... I use mini Don mode probably 75% of the time when I use it...
P8140069-1.jpg

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Good showing, guys! Honestly, just about everything that was suggested was worth strong consideration. The Reo looks awesome (especially the bottom feeding design), but I'm less partial to box mods. I have to ask: do bottom feeds work well with standard attys, or are they more practical for use with cartos?

Bottom feeders work well with both atties and cartos. Although, if you do plan on getting a REO then it's best to start of with cartomizers to get the hang of feeding them before moving to atomizers. I started with atomizers myself and after I got over the learning curve. That's all I use now with an occasional carto sometimes when I feel lazy.

BigBulli

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2011
Bottom feeders work well with both atties and cartos. Although, if you do plan on getting a REO then it's best to start of with cartomizers to get the hang of feeding them before moving to atomizers. I started with atomizers myself and after I got over the learning curve. That's all I use now with an occasional carto sometimes when I feel lazy.

The galileo with ju.ic auto feeds the atty when you take a pull. is the reo like this?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread