Entry Level RDA Suggestions: Like Igo-L But Different....

Status
Not open for further replies.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Second coil done a short while ago, much better than the first one I made and that one wasn't all that bad itself.
The Igo-L is what I have for my entry into the world of rda's, I'm liking it well enough I can see I've stepped into another vaping money pit so......

Looking for something comparable to the Igo-L with respect to price and simplicity but with a little bit more room for working.
More space between the edge of the deck and the neg post would be great!

I know there seems to be a gazillion threads asking similar questions but I've been googling rda's so darn much lately I think I sprained my googeler.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I sprained my Googler once, the medical bills to fix it were ridiculous...

To your question about an RDA with more room than the igo-l, why do you want more room between the deck edge and negative post? I know the outer edge of the coil can get close to the cap, but it is pretty easy to deal with. I don't know of any other 20ish mm drippers with more room in that regard. The older style of Phoenix attys have more of a gap there, but they are much smaller overall.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I s'pose more practice will resolve any issues I'm having just now but initially I'm playing hell positioning the coil close to the deck as well to the edge while at the same time keeping both coil legs the same length.

LOL, Old eyes don't help matters any so I thought if there was a device with more space twixt the edge and the post it might help me out.
From your response it sounds like these parameters are pretty much standard, that about right?

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I s'pose more practice will resolve any issues I'm having just now but initially I'm playing hell positioning the coil close to the deck as well to the edge while at the same time keeping both coil legs the same length.

LOL, Old eyes don't help matters any so I thought if there was a device with more space twixt the edge and the post it might help me out.
From your response it sounds like these parameters are pretty much standard, that about right?
Ah, I see (no pun intended :)). Yeah, most of them have the negative post out where the the IGO-L does so the positive post can go straight down to the 510 pin. If the negative post were to be moved inward, there would be less room for the coil.

I also have an IGO-W, which is a dual coil RDA, but the negative posts are further away from the edge of the deck on it. I actually run the outer end of the wicks around the posts. If you just want to build single coils, you could try one that has just one hole in the cap and not use the second negative post. I've attached a picture of this, my current IGO-L build, and my old (now broken) Phoenix for reference.

IMAG0491-1.jpg IMG_20131215_171319.jpg IMAG0361-1.jpg

Keep in mind that because these are close-ups, the amount of space looks bigger than it actually is (especially on the Phoenix, it is an Ego-sized atty).

Also, you may notice that my wicks are all cotton. This lets me position the coil with a drill bit inserted into it, then thread the wick through after it is in the right place.

Last edited:

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Looking for something comparable to the Igo-L with respect to price and simplicity but with a little bit more room for working.

More space between the edge of the deck and the neg post would be great!

I started with a Smok Scar dual coil RDA (although I built mostly single coils with it), and was going to recommend it until you said you wanted more room inside than an Igo-L.

You think an Igo-L is cramped? After using the Smok Scar, when I bought an Igo-L I thought the internals were wide open spaces!

I still love the Scar, because even though it's a bit cramped working in there, the post hole and thumbscrews make mounting the coil much easier. And it looks killer on my telescoping mechanical mod (a Cronus clone) -- it gets progressively narrower as you go from bottom to top. At the very bottom you have the full width, about two inches up you hit the narrower telescoping "sleeve", another 1.5" up at the 510 connector you hit the narrower Scar RDA, and finally another inch up and you have the narrowest point, the drip tip.

It's sort of like a mini-skyscraper! The Igo-L is almost exactly the same diameter as the telescoping sleeve and atomizer connection, so you don't get that same effect.

But back to your question, I'm not sure there are many RDA's out there with more working room than an Igo-L. Perhaps some do exist and you will be pointed to them by other members, but honestly, once you get a few more builds under your belt you'll be just fine with the Igo-L.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
...I also have an IGO-W, which is a dual coil RDA, but the negative posts are further away from the edge of the deck on it. I actually run the outer end of the wicks around the posts. If you just want to build single coils, you could try one that has just one hole in the cap and not use the second negative post. ...

Also, you may notice that my wicks are all cotton. This lets me position the coil with a drill bit inserted into it, then thread the wick through after it is in the right place.
I had thought to go with the Igo-W initially Cloud, second guessed myself apparently (-:
The W, or the Nimbus clone for that matter, (Thanks for that one Thrasher, Dave) look like ones for me to look into. I can't see my wanting to do dual coils but having the option available could be "priceless".
And see there? From all the reading I've been doing here placing the coil with the bit in place and threading the cotton last thing is just what I'm doing. Ya'll and yer shared wisdom are great!!

...But back to your question, I'm not sure there are many RDA's out there with more working room than an Igo-L. Perhaps some do exist and you will be pointed to them by other members, but honestly, once you get a few more builds under your belt you'll be just fine with the Igo-L.

My latest build, LOL my 2nd build, is so much more improved over my first one that I'm starting to feel confident that improvements as well as ease of assembly will for sure come with repetition!

And I think I'm also correct in that I've come across another vaping money pit. Gots to get more rigs to play with (-:

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I had thought to go with the Igo-W initially Cloud, second guessed myself apparently (-:
The W, or the Nimbus clone for that matter, (Thanks for that one Thrasher, Dave) look like ones for me to look into. I can't see my wanting to do dual coils but having the option available could be "priceless".
And see there? From all the reading I've been doing here placing the coil with the bit in place and threading the cotton last thing is just what I'm doing. Ya'll and yer shared wisdom are great!!

Yes, dual coils can be fun. I like having the option for dual coils on my Smok Scar for when I feel like it, and it was a great way to get a successful low(ish) resistance microcoil when the only wire I had was (too thin IMO) 32 gauge Kanthal. Dual coils actually give you half the resistance as a single coil, assuming that the two coils are of equal resistance. This can seem counterintuitive at first, especially if you don't have any prior knowledge of electronics theory.

But once I tried some 28 gauge and 30 gauge wire, I've been happy with single coils. Dual coils gave more vapor but at the expense of viciously fast juice consumption, and didn't give me any sizable increase in flavor. Of course, your results may vary.

If you want to try a dual coil RDA, the Igo-W is obviously a great choice. And remember that you don't actually need a three-post RDA to build a dual-coil setup, it just makes it easier by having the extra negative post. You can mount two coils on the Igo-L, each on opposite sides of the posts. Since the Igo-L doesn't have the post holes for mounting the coils like the Igo-W, getting two coils securely mounted will be a bit more difficult. But it is still possible.

My latest build, LOL my 2nd build, is so much more improved over my first one that I'm starting to feel confident that improvements as well as ease of assembly will for sure come with repetition!

And I think I'm also correct in that I've come across another vaping money pit. Gots to get more rigs to play with (-:

Awesome! And as you gain more experience, your builds will get better and better. Of course there will be times when you mess up, so don't get discouraged if your 3rd, 4th, and 5th builds end up being worse than your 2nd. It happens, so it is thankful that wire and wick are so cheap -- especially if you use cotton. A $3 bag of cotton balls will give you enough wicks for (literally) the rest of your life.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
.... A $3 bag of cotton balls will give you enough wicks for (literally) the rest of your life.
May need to just get a Igo-W next weekend. I tend to be simple so this is looking like a good fit.

As for a bag of cotton balls, well, my wife has em' already and the faint little wisp of cotton needed to wick this darn thing, LOL I already have a lifetime supply!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
You might want to keep in mind when setting your coil on the Igo-L is to leave the coil on whatever you built it with, (ie.. drill bit, paperclip, syringe needle), to help keep it in place and steady as you are attaching your wires to the post. That helped me out big time having something in it to do adjustments easily. Just a thought for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread